U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 01:04 PM

1,690 posts, read 3,210,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
... the Lakes and Mountains of NH, Coast of Maine, and Cape Cod are much to far from the rest of the Northeast for any one else to go there, leaving Boston more culturally isolated...
Mostly nonsense. Cape Cod, MV and Nantucket appeal to people from all over the country including many from New York and New Jersey.

Many rusticators along the coast of Maine have come from Philadelphia over the years and Maine, too, attracts people from all over including many from Quebec province. New Yorkers are hardly scarce in Maine either.

Conversely, many New Englanders enjoy the Jersey Shore because its boardwalks, amusements and warmer water surf are hard to come by in New England.

Probably true that NH lakes and mountains tourism is dominated by Boston area and other people from southern New England.

I would argue that if there's any place along the megalopolis that's culturally isolated it's Long Island. Lots of nice beaches there in Queens, Nassau and Suffolk but who would go there other than New Yorkers since anyone else would have to tangle with NYC traffic to get onto and off of the island and why would you do that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 01:23 PM

8,638 posts, read 8,771,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
Mostly nonsense. Cape Cod, MV and Nantucket appeal to people from all over the country including many from New York and New Jersey.

Many rusticators along the coast of Maine have come from Philadelphia over the years and Maine, too, attracts people from all over including many from Quebec province. New Yorkers are hardly scarce in Maine either.

Conversely, many New Englanders enjoy the Jersey Shore because its boardwalks, amusements and warmer water surf are hard to come by in New England.

Probably true that NH lakes and mountains tourism is dominated by Boston area and other people from southern New England.

I would argue that if there's any place along the megalopolis that's culturally isolated it's Long Island. Lots of nice beaches there in Queens, Nassau and Suffolk but who would go there other than New Yorkers since anyone else would have to tangle with NYC traffic to get onto and off of the island and why would you do that?
That was for a day trip, people vacation down the Cape but people also vacation in Florida. You are not going to drive from Orange, NJ to spend a day or even a weekend on Cape Cod. It would have to be about a 5 day vacation.
Also I have never heard of anyone outside the Tri-state ever going to the Jersey Shore.

Old 08-07-2017, 04:03 PM

Quote:
That was for a day trip, people vacation down the Cape but people also vacation in Florida. You are not going to drive from Orange, NJ to spend a day or even a weekend on Cape Cod. It would have to be about a 5 day vacation.
Also I have never heard of anyone outside the Tri-state ever going to the Jersey Shore.
Not sure why you're only counting short visits. Your point was about cultural isolation. Being too far for a day trip from NJ doesn't make Cape Cod and other new england regions isolated.

Certainly people from outside Conn-NY-NJ go to the Jersey Shore. The Atlantic City Expressway is a pipeline to the Jersey Shore from Phila and environs which are not "tri-state." Plenty of New Englanders visit the shore too, if not for the day.

Old 08-07-2017, 04:11 PM

6,977 posts, read 6,693,614 times
Quote:
Not sure why you're only counting short visits. Your point was about cultural isolation. Being too far for a day trip from NJ doesn't make Cape Cod and other new england regions isolated.

Certainly people from outside Conn-NY-NJ go to the Jersey Shore. The Atlantic City Expressway is a pipeline to the Jersey Shore from Phila and environs which are not "tri-state." Plenty of New Englanders visit the shore too, if not for the day.
Never heard of anybody going to the Jersey Shore. Maybe Ocean City, MD or VA Beach, but people from NE seem to skip everywhere in between there and the Cape/Islands.

Old 08-07-2017, 04:18 PM

8,638 posts, read 8,771,906 times
Quote:

My point is if you need to spend 4 days somewhere to make it worth the trip (say Trenton NJ to Franconia, NH) its a vacation. People vacation everywhere. While if you are in Philly you spend the Afternoon at the same beaches that New Yorkers do, they both visit the Poconos, same thing the DE, Both Baltimore/DC folks and Philadelphians would spend a day there. If you live in Boston to go to Cape May you basically fly there or have to spend a long weekend because its like an 8 hour drive.

Old 08-08-2017, 12:49 PM

If you're limiting it to day trips then yes, no one from the Mid Atlantic will be going to the Cape and other NE destinations for the day and no one other than some Connecticutters will go to the mid-Atlantic. I wonder how much time people have on day trips to mingle with people from other regions and to what extent any of that plays a significant role in people's understanding of what constitutes the northeast urban region. I was thinking of longer vacation trips because they afford more time for people to mingle and form impressions. It's an interesting question whether people in the mid-Atlantic feel more connected with one another than with southern New England or vice versa. Something like that plays out in Connecticut -- are we more "tri-state" or more New England?

The term "northeast corridor" has a broader meaning that's more or less equivalent to the Boston-Washington megalopolis and a narrow meaning restricted to the railroad corridor built from Washington to NY by the Pennsylvania Railroad and from NY to Boston by the New Haven Railroad, and now operated by Amtrak in cooperation with suburban rail systems like MBTA and Jersey Transit. By the way, the Pennsy also built the connection between both ends of the corridor through NYC with the tunnel under the Hudson River into Manhattan, the station there it named for itself at Seventh Ave and 32nd Street, the tunnel continuing on through Manhattan and under the East River to Long Island, then continuing across Queens, the Hell Gate Bridge and the connection to the New Haven system at New Rochelle. Someone once wrote that if Alexander Cassatt, President of the PRR, could have foreseen that the coming century would not bring more growth and prosperity like the one just passed but instead bring decline and ruin for the passenger railroads, he would never have pushed to build that gargantuan project. And Chris Christie wouldn't even support public funding to build new tunnels under the Hudson to relieve congestion in the 100-year old PRR tunnels.

Anyway, the Northeast Corridor as a rail system seems more interconnected in the Mid-Atlantic stretch than in the New England stretch but both sections make money for Amtrak as opposed to the money-losing long lines it operates around the country. And Boston and the rest of southern New England is certainly part of the northeast megalopolis in so many ways.

Old 08-08-2017, 03:52 PM

2,769 posts, read 1,571,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Not sure what's your threshold for "significant," but Richmond isn't exactly a small town.
Sorry, but when people talk about the country's great cities, no one mentions Richmond.

Quote:

You've never heard of anyone outside NY/NJ/CT going to the Jersey Shore?

Half the visitors are from PA. LOTS of people go there from DE and MD, too.

And there absolutely are some New Englanders who go to the Jersey Shore, although most of the ones I know have some tie to the area.

I'm heading there in a couple weeks.

Quote:

Yup. I'm not sure why the short visit thing got into this argument, anyway. But, someone from one of the Oranges in NJ absolutely might go to the Cape for a weekend trip. A day trip? I agree, it would be unlikely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Never heard of anybody going to the Jersey Shore. Maybe Ocean City, MD or VA Beach, but people from NE seem to skip everywhere in between there and the Cape/Islands.
?????????
People from New England would go to OCMD, but not the Jersey Shore?????
Why on earth would that be the case?

I don't know why someone coming from New England would skip the Jersey Shore to go to OCMD. It wouldn't be worth the extra drive.

And again, I've heard of New Englanders going to the Jersey Shore. Some of the towns are quite nice.

Old 08-08-2017, 04:48 PM

126 posts, read 66,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjv007 View Post
I've been thinking about this for a while. Well-constructed points all around.
nah, weak argument against. Boston for sure is part of the NE corridor. I remember in the 60's they were predicting, because of over population that Boston to Washington would meld into one big city, called "Bos-Wash"

Old 08-08-2017, 04:48 PM

6,977 posts, read 6,693,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
?????????
People from New England would go to OCMD, but not the Jersey Shore?????
Why on earth would that be the case?

I don't know why someone coming from New England would skip the Jersey Shore to go to OCMD. It wouldn't be worth the extra drive.

And again, I've heard of New Englanders going to the Jersey Shore. Some of the towns are quite nice.
IDK, it could just be the trashy reputation the Jersey Shore has (the TV show, Atlantic City, etc.) and little reason to go there if you are in NE. Want nice serene summer beaches, you go to the Cape. Want a winter escape, go to FL. Want a festive party atmosphere, go to Hampton Beach or if you want a little more upscale go to Newport. Then again, the S and N Shores are always a big draw.

Not sure what the appeal is for Ocean City, but I know many people who have been there. I wasn't impressed myself, just super crowded and a lot of ghetto people from Baltimore, DC and Philly. Virginia Beach seemed a lot cleaner and more family friendly (yet barely warm enough for even a fall or spring getaway).

I have been to Atlantic City for business, and it's not a place I would EVER want to go on vacation to. I heard Cape May is real nice, and would like to check it out some day (along with some of the DE beaches). It's just such a haul...

Old 08-08-2017, 04:50 PM

126 posts, read 66,374 times
Quote:

excellent, spot on
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston