U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 09:50 AM

974 posts, read 1,261,955 times

Advertisements

Welcome to Boston --

If your husband is working at the Boston University Medical Campus, you want to live SOUTH of the Interstate 93 tunnel due to traffic.

QUINCY is a good choice for commuting on the MBTA's Red Line. A bus will take him from Andrew Station to campus.
MBTA > Schedules & Maps > Subway > Andrew Station

Moving away from the city does not always save money on living costs.

Besides traffic as yaeger07 mentioned above, parking at BUMC requires a parking permit--monthly costs begin at $200. You will need to factor that cost into the cost of your apartment and utilities (heating) if not included in your rent.
Rate Structure for BUMC Garages (DOB & 710 Albany) Parking & Transportation Services | Boston University

If you're not working in the US, you may be home all day. Being near community and people will be important to your well-being.

Good luck on your move - Boston is a great city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 10:18 AM

8,637 posts, read 8,771,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatdude View Post
You're trading one of the most beautiful cities in the world for Boston out of all places? Please don't, you will regret it!
He's moving to a city with a functioning economy.

Old 08-07-2017, 10:43 AM

13 posts, read 7,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowbe202 View Post
Welcome to Boston --

If your husband is working at the Boston University Medical Campus, you want to live SOUTH of the Interstate 93 tunnel due to traffic.

QUINCY is a good choice for commuting on the MBTA's Red Line. A bus will take him from Andrew Station to campus.
MBTA > Schedules & Maps > Subway > Andrew Station

Moving away from the city does not always save money on living costs.

Besides traffic as yaeger07 mentioned above, parking at BUMC requires a parking permit--monthly costs begin at $200. You will need to factor that cost into the cost of your apartment and utilities (heating) if not included in your rent.
Rate Structure for BUMC Garages (DOB & 710 Albany) Parking & Transportation Services | Boston University

If you're not working in the US, you may be home all day. Being near community and people will be important to your well-being.

Good luck on your move - Boston is a great city.
Thank you very much for your kind respond.

We saw some affordable places in Quincy and the Subway monthly price is fine too.

About the utilities bills, could you tell me more or less how much could it be for a 1bd apartment? I know depends on lot of things but just to have an idea before moving there.
And yes, I won't work until I don't get the work permision but I really want to do something as I can't be all day at home.

Old 08-07-2017, 11:26 AM

974 posts, read 1,261,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurisanmi View Post
Could you tell me more or less how much could it be for a 1bd apartment? I know depends on lot of things but just to have an idea before moving there.
And yes, I won't work until I don't get the work permision but I really want to do something as I can't be all day at home.
Utilities depend on the apartment's age, what's included and the heating type... and if heating is included in the rent.

Natural gas (cooking, hot water, and/or heat) $25+ to $100+ (with heat) month
Electric (cooking, appliances and/or heat/air conditioning) $40+ to $120+ (with heat) month
Oil (heat) $1,000 + a year
Internet $60-90 a month

MBTA pass (husband's will be subsidized at BUMC + yours) $50+ month

Auto Insurance is based on where you live -- some neighborhoods are more expensive to insure than others if you plan to buy and use a car. (Auto insurance is required in Massachusetts.)

Last edited by flowbe202; 08-07-2017 at 11:27 AM.. Reason: grammar :)

Old 08-07-2017, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowbe202 View Post
Utilities depend on the apartment's age, what's included and the heating type... and if heating is included in the rent.

Natural gas (cooking, hot water, and/or heat) $25+ to $100+ (with heat) month
Electric (cooking, appliances and/or heat/air conditioning) $40+ to $120+ (with heat) month
Oil (heat) $1,000 + a year
Internet $60-90 a month

MBTA pass (husband's will be subsidized at BUMC + yours) $50+ month

Auto Insurance is based on where you live -- some neighborhoods are more expensive to insure than others if you plan to buy and use a car. (Auto insurance is required in Massachusetts.)
Ok, perfect I can have an idea about the bills, you are helping me a lot!!!

I don't understand about the MBTA pass, I mean I just check online on the website and I saw It was 87$ or so per month.

About the car, we though we won't need it, basicaly we wanted for him to go to work but many people told us it's not necessary.

And my last question that I don't know if you will know is what I will need to work as teacher as in Spain I studied for that.
Also about if in Boston is normal to have a Nanny(not au pair) as I worked more than 2 years as Nanny in Ireland and there there is a high demand so I don't know how is in US.

Old 08-07-2017, 12:00 PM

444 posts, read 459,906 times
Nannies are definitely popular here. You'll need to have good references, but people do use them a lot.

If you find a family willing to pay "under the table" (and I'm not necessarily recommending this), you won't need to wait to get work permission. It is illegal to do this, but I'm sure it's common. You'll be passing on any social security contributions, workmans comp insurance, unemployment protection, etc. You could also market yourself as a back-up childcare option at first, so people could just call you for a day or so if they need alternate childcare--daycare is closed, nanny is sick, etc. People would probably be more willing to pay straight cash for this. That would help you build some references and might turn into longer term work.

What kind of teacher? If you speak Spanish you might be able to find work as a Spanish teacher. If you look at a private school you won't need any kind of certification. It may be difficult to get certified to teach in a public school.

Your husband probably won't drive to work. You may want a car for yourself, though, if you're not working. You could probably find a family in Quincy to nanny for, so you might not need one for commuting either. I don't know if many families get around in Quincy without at least 1 car though.

Your husband will be able to get an MBTA pass either at a reduced rate or via pre-tax payments (flowbe has more info than me about this, I'm just familiar with the pre-tax option I don't know about a BUMC subsidy), so it will be less than $87/mo. But yours will be $87/mo if you get one.

Old 08-07-2017, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaeger07 View Post
Nannies are definitely popular here. You'll need to have good references, but people do use them a lot.

If you find a family willing to pay "under the table" (and I'm not necessarily recommending this), you won't need to wait to get work permission. It is illegal to do this, but I'm sure it's common. You'll be passing on any social security contributions, workmans comp insurance, unemployment protection, etc. You could also market yourself as a back-up childcare option at first, so people could just call you for a day or so if they need alternate childcare--daycare is closed, nanny is sick, etc. People would probably be more willing to pay straight cash for this. That would help you build some references and might turn into longer term work.

What kind of teacher? If you speak Spanish you might be able to find work as a Spanish teacher. If you look at a private school you won't need any kind of certification. It may be difficult to get certified to teach in a public school.

Your husband probably won't drive to work. You may want a car for yourself, though, if you're not working. You could probably find a family in Quincy to nanny for, so you might not need one for commuting either. I don't know if many families get around in Quincy without at least 1 car though.

Your husband will be able to get an MBTA pass either at a reduced rate or via pre-tax payments (flowbe has more info than me about this, I'm just familiar with the pre-tax option I don't know about a BUMC subsidy), so it will be less than $87/mo. But yours will be $87/mo if you get one.
Thank you!!!!
I prefer to work legally,(don't want to get in troble)I will wait for the work permition and while I get It I will get the driver licence. I have very good references from Ireland( working as Nanny and childcare assistant and toddler teacher)

I am Primary school teacher ( from 6yo to12yo) but I never got a job for that position as after finishing my degree I moved to Ireland and there I needed gaelic. However, this year worked as English teacher in Spain.

Old 08-07-2017, 12:32 PM

444 posts, read 459,906 times
If you don't want to FT nanny under the table (which is for the best), definitely try to get yourself some more short term cash work so you can build up local references too. Good luck!

Old 08-08-2017, 05:13 PM

6,977 posts, read 6,693,614 times
I cannot believe anybody on here would so much a HINT the idea of working illegally. It is morally wrong, and whoever does puts whatever future they may have here in jeopardy. Shame on you big time.

Old 08-10-2017, 10:09 AM

5,680 posts, read 5,010,551 times
What neighborhood do you live in currently?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or