U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-15-2017, 08:20 PM
 
3,268 posts, read 2,196,752 times
Reputation: 2682

Advertisements

Cops just can't win, they really are THE most hated profession. They get ostracized when they DO go into these neighborhoods (any neighborhood) and people call them bullies, say they are racist overreachers looking to get people in trouble. Then if they are seen sitting in a car or near a detail or getting food they are lazy and not doing their jobs. What SHOULD a cop be doing at a detail if it doesn't require much work? Have you never had a quiet day at work? Should they be frisking people as they walk by? I think it just comes down to people being angry that cops are used in construction details at all. So don't be mad at the cop for being on his phone during a boring detail, be mad at the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-15-2017, 09:02 PM
 
5,763 posts, read 13,331,365 times
Reputation: 4523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popfizz View Post
I usually read the news from NYC about boston since I used to live there. Im in awe of the amount of shooting and stabbing reported in mostly Roxbury & Dorchester. For such a small city there is alarmingly alot of violent crime . I have a pic of the crime ( stabbing / shootings) map from June 2017 until August 2017 ( barely 3 months) and wow. Nyc has crime but its a MUCH bigger area & population

Any thoughts ??


(This forum wont let you upload any iphone pics ??? It gives me all this jpg pgn mumbo jumbo that we millenials dont understand
Doesn't sound as if you've done this very scientifically. Just glanced at a map and formed a subjective impression of how concentrated crime incidents seem to be.

Just a guess, but I'd guess that if you looked closely you'd find areas of NYC similar in population to Dorchester or Roxbury with similar crime rates, or worse. A key point is that to know any of this for sure you'd have to do a careful analysis, of entire cities and particular sections of cities, over time, not just base this on your immediate visual impression when you look at a map.

Back in the bad old days of the '70's and '80's NYC was pretty badly crime-ridden, but it is said to have been the safest big city in the country for some years now. In that case, any city, not just Boston, would look scary in comparison to NYC. If the crime rate in Boston overall is higher, this probably says more about crime in the cities in general than it does about Boston. I don't know a lot of detail, but I've read occasionally that Boston is actually one of the safer major cities in the U.S.

In fact, if it's true that Boston is one of the safer cities, it would only get worse still if you looked at some other big cities, like Chicago, Detroit, Atlanta, L.A. . . . For that matter, you might take a look at some places that actually are small cities, like Camden, Compton, and East St. Louis, and then get back and tell us how much crime there is in Boston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2017, 11:29 PM
 
Location: Northern United States
187 posts, read 141,083 times
Reputation: 256
Yes, Boston is not as safe as NYC, but overall, Boston is one of the safer cities in the country. It isn't among the most safe, but it's safer than the majority of US cities. Out of all the major cities in the Northeast, Boston is the 2nd safest, with Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, and Washington DC(I understand those aren't the only larger cities in the Northeast) all having much higher homicide rates. In fact, in all of those cities I listed, much of the time, they have more than double Boston's homicide rate, and the only year in the 21st century where Boston had a homicide rate of more than 10.0 per 100,000 was in 2010. Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, and Washington DC all have had a higher homicide rate than that every single year during the 21st century.

Then you have Baltimore, which is the around same size as Boston(going by city propers) and has a far, far worse homicide rate. Boston isn't the worst in New England either. Hartford, Bridgeport, and Springfield all usually have higher homicide rates than Boston. Boston may not be as statistically safe as NYC but it's definitely one of the more safe cities out there.

We also can't forget that Boston is still far below it's 1990 peak where the city had 152 homicides. I don't think Boston will ever have close to that level of violence ever again. It still is unfortunate though that Boston has seen an increase in violence since hitting a 2015 low.

Sidenote: The entire argument regrading city boundaries doesn't make a whole lot of sense IMO. People are saying that because of NYC's 1898 annexation that NYC has an unfair advantage compared to Boston because NYC manages to have so many different areas compared to Boston, which has smaller city boundaries. IMO, that argument is wrong because Boston also annexed many small villages and towns in the late 1800s such as Roxbury and Charlestown were their own municipalities until the 2nd half of the 19th century when Boston annexed them along with many other communities. The entire thing about challenged areas in the city compared to suburbs I think can be applied to both cities because Boston also has challenged urban areas outside of it's own municipal boundaries with inner North Shore communities such as Lynn and Chelsea having crime issues compared to surrounding areas. NYC also has suburbs or urban areas close by that have issues such as Newark and some sections of Long Island.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2017, 01:49 AM
 
Location: Boston
1,122 posts, read 858,039 times
Reputation: 1176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeasterner1970 View Post
Yes, Boston is not as safe as NYC, but overall, Boston is one of the safer cities in the country. It isn't among the most safe, but it's safer than the majority of US cities. Out of all the major cities in the Northeast, Boston is the 2nd safest, with Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, and Washington DC(I understand those aren't the only larger cities in the Northeast) all having much higher homicide rates. In fact, in all of those cities I listed, much of the time, they have more than double Boston's homicide rate, and the only year in the 21st century where Boston had a homicide rate of more than 10.0 per 100,000 was in 2010. Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, and Washington DC all have had a higher homicide rate than that every single year during the 21st century.

Then you have Baltimore, which is the around same size as Boston(going by city propers) and has a far, far worse homicide rate. Boston isn't the worst in New England either. Hartford, Bridgeport, and Springfield all usually have higher homicide rates than Boston. Boston may not be as statistically safe as NYC but it's definitely one of the more safe cities out there.

We also can't forget that Boston is still far below it's 1990 peak where the city had 152 homicides. I don't think Boston will ever have close to that level of violence ever again. It still is unfortunate though that Boston has seen an increase in violence since hitting a 2015 low.

Sidenote: The entire argument regrading city boundaries doesn't make a whole lot of sense IMO. People are saying that because of NYC's 1898 annexation that NYC has an unfair advantage compared to Boston because NYC manages to have so many different areas compared to Boston, which has smaller city boundaries. IMO, that argument is wrong because Boston also annexed many small villages and towns in the late 1800s such as Roxbury and Charlestown were their own municipalities until the 2nd half of the 19th century when Boston annexed them along with many other communities. The entire thing about challenged areas in the city compared to suburbs I think can be applied to both cities because Boston also has challenged urban areas outside of it's own municipal boundaries with inner North Shore communities such as Lynn and Chelsea having crime issues compared to surrounding areas. NYC also has suburbs or urban areas close by that have issues such as Newark and some sections of Long Island.
How could 2010 be the only year where Boston had a a homicide rate over 10.0 per 100k?? There were 72 homicides in 2010. There were 75 and 73 in 2005 and 2006 respectively....The population of Boston was lower in 05/06 than in 2010. The link I posted clearly states Boston homicides rate was 13.3 in 2006...

Boston has 75 homicides in 2005 - News - seacoastonline.com - Portsmouth, NH

http://dailyfreepress.com/2006/12/06...-rise-in-2006/

Boston is one of the safer cities depending on the yet. We have a very low homicide rate for the number of shootings, likely due to the accessibility of the hospitals and quality.

Mass. Is Most Violent Northeastern State

http://dailyfreepress.com/2006/10/20...-in-northeast/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2017, 02:11 AM
 
Location: Northern United States
187 posts, read 141,083 times
Reputation: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
How could 2010 be the only year where Boston had a a homicide rate over 10.0 per 100k?? There were 72 homicides in 2010. There were 75 and 73 in 2005 and 2006 respectively....The population of Boston was lower in 05/06 than in 2010. The link I posted clearly states Boston homicides rate was 13.3 in 2006...

Boston has 75 homicides in 2005 - News - seacoastonline.com - Portsmouth, NH

http://dailyfreepress.com/2006/12/06...-rise-in-2006/

Boston is one of the safer cities depending on the yet. We have a very low homicide rate for the number of shootings, likely due to the accessibility of the hospitals and quality.

Mass. Is Most Violent Northeastern State

http://dailyfreepress.com/2006/10/20...-in-northeast/
Oops, you are right, the info I was thinking of must've been wrong. Still though, my point, for the most part, stands that Boston is safer than most of it's Northeastern counterparts and even other cities in New England.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2017, 05:23 AM
 
1,086 posts, read 435,894 times
Reputation: 1324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
Cops just can't win, they really are THE most hated profession. They get ostracized when they DO go into these neighborhoods (any neighborhood) and people call them bullies, say they are racist overreachers looking to get people in trouble. Then if they are seen sitting in a car or near a detail or getting food they are lazy and not doing their jobs. What SHOULD a cop be doing at a detail if it doesn't require much work? Have you never had a quiet day at work? Should they be frisking people as they walk by? I think it just comes down to people being angry that cops are used in construction details at all. So don't be mad at the cop for being on his phone during a boring detail, be mad at the city.
They shouldn't be there in the first place. Collecting $80 an hour to literally play cell phone games. Pay someone $15 an hour and make pretend they have an actual responsibility.

As hated as you think they are.. they get paid well to do a job. and guess whos paying them? thats right!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2017, 06:15 AM
 
Location: Boston, MA
7,870 posts, read 6,819,268 times
Reputation: 6594
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
They shouldn't be there in the first place. Collecting $80 an hour to literally play cell phone games. Pay someone $15 an hour and make pretend they have an actual responsibility.

As hated as you think they are.. they get paid well to do a job. and guess whos paying them? thats right!
Poor police!

Your Tax Dollars at Work: Payrolls | Boston Herald
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2017, 07:06 AM
 
64 posts, read 52,748 times
Reputation: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by applej3 View Post
Boston is not a small city. Population is 670,000+.

Agree. Most large US cities would be considered small compared to NYC's population of 7M+ but with a metro population of almost 5M I would not consider Boston to be small.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2017, 07:07 AM
 
1,086 posts, read 435,894 times
Reputation: 1324
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
exactly!
If you brought home $130,000 Salary and $34,000 Extra for (detail) wouldn't you be held accountable for staring at your phone the whole time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2017, 08:23 AM
 
6,999 posts, read 6,707,358 times
Reputation: 4676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
Cops just can't win, they really are THE most hated profession. They get ostracized when they DO go into these neighborhoods (any neighborhood) and people call them bullies, say they are racist overreachers looking to get people in trouble. Then if they are seen sitting in a car or near a detail or getting food they are lazy and not doing their jobs. What SHOULD a cop be doing at a detail if it doesn't require much work? Have you never had a quiet day at work? Should they be frisking people as they walk by? I think it just comes down to people being angry that cops are used in construction details at all. So don't be mad at the cop for being on his phone during a boring detail, be mad at the city.
If a job requires a detail, then theoretically they are there for a reason (ie. they must control traffic through the area). In that case they should be out there and visible, alert with their head on a swivel at all times. If they are sitting in their cruiser not paying attention, and some reckless fool comes plowing down 5 workers (or swerves onto the sidewalk striking a mother with infant in stroller); then how does that make the officer look? Or what is the purpose of paying somebody there in the first place?

That said, some people do just love to hate the police. In other words, they see what they want to see. "For real??? A cop just pulled in to the sub shop to get LUNCH!!!...Poor me innocent taxpayer....blah blah blah". I wonder who they expect to call on when they are in trouble, the Boy Scouts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top