U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 09:24 AM

2,547 posts, read 4,869,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
exactly!
If you brought home $130,000 Salary and $34,000 Extra for (detail) wouldn't you be held accountable for staring at your phone the whole time?
We're not allowed to use personal cellphones while at work, and I make half that.

And I'm not in charge of public safety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2017, 09:27 AM

7,093 posts, read 6,755,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
We're not allowed to use personal cellphones while at work, and I make half that.

And I'm not in charge of public safety.
Some jobs require the use of a personal phone. How do you know the officer you allegedly saw wasn't using it for business?

Old 08-16-2017, 09:33 AM

1,134 posts, read 450,848 times
Literally EVERY SINGLE officer i see on a detail is guilty of this. 100% of them. Maybe someone should start blogging this. It is after all YOUR money.

Old 08-16-2017, 09:33 AM

420 posts, read 249,851 times
Quote:
They shouldn't be there in the first place. Collecting $80 an hour to literally play cell phone games. Pay someone $15 an hour and make pretend they have an actual responsibility.

As hated as you think they are.. they get paid well to do a job. and guess whos paying them? thats right!
Their job is very unique in that everyday they go to work, they may not come home.

At any time they could be attacked, they have to protect someone from being killed. No human can work 8 hours constant under those conditions, they down time. Just sitting in a parked police car is still a deterrent.

Full respect for any police ( there are bad apples in every profession)

Old 08-16-2017, 09:57 AM

1,134 posts, read 450,848 times
I totally agree and understand your point. I am not ssaying they are scum. I'm saying the whole detail thing needs to be re-thought. Look at that list and just look at the Detail pay. I don't think they are putting their lives on the line in these instances. I have a large number of family members who are firefighters. Same goes for them. and they know it too.

Old 08-16-2017, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Literally EVERY SINGLE officer i see on a detail is guilty of this. 100% of them. Maybe someone should start blogging this. It is after all YOUR money.
I don't often come to Boston anymore, but I find 100% very hard to believe. It was certainly never that way before. Do you see them doing this all shift or only some of the time? These days they do utilize their phone for much of their work. Do you know they aren't talking to their sergeant or something?

I do agree there needs to be a clamp down on details, and which sites REALLY actually need an officer(s). And when they ARE there, there SHOULD be a real officer presence.

Last edited by massnative71; 08-16-2017 at 10:33 AM..

Old 08-16-2017, 11:01 AM

2,771 posts, read 2,225,930 times
The issue for me is officers on detail are doing work that could be done by someone else. It siphons manpower and resources away from actual police work (it also adds a significant cost to every construction project which is ultimately passed along to us). The cell phone issue just adds to the negative perception of the detail scam.

Old 08-16-2017, 11:24 AM

282 posts, read 151,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
The issue for me is officers on detail are doing work that could be done by someone else. It siphons manpower and resources away from actual police work (it also adds a significant cost to every construction project which is ultimately passed along to us). The cell phone issue just adds to the negative perception of the detail scam.
This ..... ridiculous that MA still uses police details. Last state in the union to allow flagmen but there are so many self-serving loopholes already baked into the state regs means that nothing has changed in practise.

Driving through Cambridge a few days a week, it does seem that details are always either on their phones, or leaning against something chatting with the guys on the site.

Its a big racket/gravy train

Old 08-16-2017, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
Here in Maine they almost exclusively use flagmen and it never seems to be an problem, I do understand MA drivers are a unique breed however. I do think police details serve their purpose on highways and other high traffic locations, but I'd say at probably 75% of the jobs a flagman would suffice.

Old 08-16-2017, 03:17 PM

5,763 posts, read 13,355,977 times
This thread has drifted quite a bit. What do coverage of road work details or what territory each city annexed back when have to do with the thread topic?

Notice that the OP has not weighed back in. It appears that maybe he just got something started and is now sitting back and enjoying the show.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or