U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-16-2017, 02:30 PM
 
Location: Boston
1,110 posts, read 854,953 times
Reputation: 1171

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
This thread has drifted quite a bit. What do coverage of road work details or what territory each city annexed back when have to do with the thread topic?

Notice that the OP has not weighed back in. It appears that maybe he just got something started and is now sitting back and enjoying the show.
People dont care about the crime like that. Its summed up to 'nbd' because if you just added i some other cities then its not a big deal-or something like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-16-2017, 02:50 PM
 
3,268 posts, read 2,195,046 times
Reputation: 2682
I dont know why police are needed for construction details. Police are used in details in many places. We have a friend who is a boston cop and he often does details at the target in the south bay mall or at Brigham and women's hospital.

Also my work had to get a cop for an event that alcohol was being served at. Cop details are used in some strange places and yes they are paid well..but that's not their fault. My CEO earned 7 million a yr at her previous position...i know i know she wasn't paid by taxpayers...but come on.

Last edited by Whatsnext75; 08-16-2017 at 02:58 PM.. Reason: Added
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2017, 02:53 PM
 
11,325 posts, read 5,846,190 times
Reputation: 21009
Meh. The parts of Boston where the business people work, the affluent people live, and the tourists visit is safe. The parts of Boston that haven't gentrified aren't. With the current rate of gentrification, there won't be many unsafe places other than housing projects in another 25 years. The transportation infrastructure is so lousy that gentrification is inevitable. People need to live commutable to their jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2017, 02:55 PM
 
8,641 posts, read 8,778,597 times
Reputation: 5185
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
People dont care about the crime like that. Its summed up to 'nbd' because if you just added i some other cities then its not a big deal-or something like that.
It's not that Boston doesn't have crime problems but they are not exceptional.
D.C. Had like 7x more murders last year
Cleveland and New Orleans had 4x more murders last year
The cities with lower murder rates than Boston in the United States is rather small, NYC, Seattle, Portland.

It is a huge issue and one that is very important but to act like Boston is like Baltimore or something is just factually untrue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2017, 03:35 PM
 
Location: Boston
1,110 posts, read 854,953 times
Reputation: 1171
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
It's not that Boston doesn't have crime problems but they are not exceptional.
D.C. Had like 7x more murders last year
Cleveland and New Orleans had 4x more murders last year
The cities with lower murder rates than Boston in the United States is rather small, NYC, Seattle, Portland.

It is a huge issue and one that is very important but to act like Boston is like Baltimore or something is just factually untrue.
Ok but some of our crime problems really are exceptional. We have (as I already posted) THE lowest clearance rate of non fatal shooting and one of the worst homicide clearance rates in the US for a major city.

D.C. Definitely didn't have 7x the homicides of Boston last year. Maybe 3 I'm not saying it's a huge thing in Boston but there is still a lot of crime and Boston is generally more middle of the pack in terms of overall violent crime, the past 4-5 years have been fairly low tho. But this comment emphasizes my point about people don't really care about it, that's why we drifted off topic. The Boston forum will plug Boston and that's how that goes.

D.C. Had 135 homicides last year btw Boston had 42. But I'm not acting like Boston is Baltimore- by any stretch, at all. Also, aren't we comparing Boston to NYC anyway why do we wanna drag other cities into this to make ourselves look or feel better? I just say what I know and post links to objective facts. BUT the fact that homicide rates in Roxbury Dorchester and Mattapan is like 25 per 100k compares to the states 2 per 100k is in deeds one of the largest disparities in the nation. Seeing as the average state has more than double the homicide rate of MA at about 5 per 100k.

People are dying at 12 times the rate of the commonwealth on a good year (Dorchester has racked up over 30 homicides in a few years since 2000) in the DRM. There's the info, do with it what you will.

About 15% of shooting victims die in Boston compared to about 30% nationwide. If you want the numbers I'll provide them. This harkens back to my point about good hospitals helping mask some of our violent crime issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2017, 03:45 PM
 
8,641 posts, read 8,778,597 times
Reputation: 5185
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Ok but some of our crime problems really are exceptional. We have (as I already posted) THE lowest clearance rate of non fatal shooting and one of the worst homicide clearance rates in the US for a major city.

D.C. Definitely didn't have 7x the homicides of Boston last year. Maybe 3 I'm not saying it's a huge thing in Boston but there is still a lot of crime and Boston is generally more middle of the pack in terms of overall violent crime, the past 4-5 years have been fairly low tho. But this comment emphasizes my point about people don't really care about it, that's why we drifted off topic. The Boston forum will plug Boston and that's how that goes.

D.C. Had 135 homicides last year btw Boston had 42. But I'm not acting like Boston is Baltimore- by any stretch, at all. Also, aren't we comparing Boston to NYC anyway why do we wanna drag other cities into this to make ourselves look or feel better? I just say what I know and post links to objective facts. BUT the fact that homicide rates in Roxbury Dorchester and Mattapan is like 25 per 100k compares to the states 2 per 100k is in deeds one of the largest disparities in the nation. Seeing as the average state has more than double the homicide rate of MA at about 5 per 100k.

People are dying at 12 times the rate of the commonwealth on a good year (Dorchester has racked up over 30 homicides in a few years since 2000) in the DRM. There's the info, do with it what you will.

About 15% of shooting victims die in Boston compared to about 30% nationwide. If you want the numbers I'll provide them. This harkens back to my point about good hospitals helping mask some of our violent crime issues.
Okay but the title of the thread is "why does Boston have so many shootings for a small city?

The answer is it doesn't.

Crime is still an issue and Dorchester, Roxbury and Mattapan need community resources, not just cops but after school programs, city-church partnerships etc. but in no way is Boston exceptionally bad.
The whole city of Cleveland for example averaged out is the same as the most dangerous areas of Boston. St Louis is 50% higher than Mattapan. Boston has a crime problem but to say it's bad compared to other "small" cities is just not true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2017, 07:04 PM
 
Location: Boston, MA
7,860 posts, read 6,812,290 times
Reputation: 6578
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Okay but the title of the thread is "why does Boston have so many shootings for a small city?

The answer is it doesn't.

Crime is still an issue and Dorchester, Roxbury and Mattapan need community resources, not just cops but after school programs, city-church partnerships etc. but in no way is Boston exceptionally bad.
The whole city of Cleveland for example averaged out is the same as the most dangerous areas of Boston. St Louis is 50% higher than Mattapan. Boston has a crime problem but to say it's bad compared to other "small" cities is just not true.
Ehhh the dangerous areas of Cleveland are worse than the dangerous areas of Boston. It's still the same thing though- some neighborhoods jack up the rate for the whole city. Your point of averaging out doesn't make sense. Roxbury in Cleveland would still he the hood. Just there would be 2 that are a bit worse.

The point stands, the same neighborhoods in Boston are really consistent in producing high crime. This is the same in most cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2017, 07:06 PM
 
Location: Boston, MA
7,860 posts, read 6,812,290 times
Reputation: 6578
I don't think good hospitals have anything to do with shooting victims not dying though. I see no evidence to support that. Why couldn't it be that denser cities have more eyes on the street and means shooters have to act more quickly for example?

Treating shootings isn't exactly that hard, at least it's not groundbreaking. Every hospital knows how to do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2017, 08:51 AM
 
6,987 posts, read 6,700,483 times
Reputation: 4676
Bottom line is (and has already been mentioned more than once), Boston's city boundaries contain a very small portion of the metro population. A typical major city anywhere else would encompass most of what's inside 128, and just about all those cities that appear to have lower violent crime rates than Boston. Serious crime is pretty much contained to the cities of Boston, Chelsea and Lynn. You add in the rest of the area to the mix, the crime rate would be one of the lowest if not THE lowest in the country. Yes Boston does have some serious problems, and its low clearance rate is particularly disturbing. But people do keep ignoring this very obvious other fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2017, 08:55 AM
 
6,987 posts, read 6,700,483 times
Reputation: 4676
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I don't think good hospitals have anything to do with shooting victims not dying though. I see no evidence to support that. Why couldn't it be that denser cities have more eyes on the street and means shooters have to act more quickly for example?

Treating shootings isn't exactly that hard, at least it's not groundbreaking. Every hospital knows how to do it.
It's not necessarily "good" hospitals, but EMS response time and time from there to the ER or trauma center. Boston is very good for both, which is why its survival rate is twice the national average.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top