U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 11:04 AM

517 posts, read 746,099 times

Advertisements

I usually read the news from NYC about boston since I used to live there. Im in awe of the amount of shooting and stabbing reported in mostly Roxbury & Dorchester. For such a small city there is alarmingly alot of violent crime . I have a pic of the crime ( stabbing / shootings) map from June 2017 until August 2017 ( barely 3 months) and wow. Nyc has crime but its a MUCH bigger area & population

Any thoughts ??

(This forum wont let you upload any iphone pics ??? It gives me all this jpg pgn mumbo jumbo that we millenials dont understand

Last edited by Popfizz; 08-14-2017 at 11:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2017, 11:33 AM

1,690 posts, read 3,211,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popfizz View Post
Nyc has crime but its a MUCH bigger area.

Any thoughts ??... jpg pgn mimbo jumbo that we millenials dont understand
Haha! We boomers understand even less

As to crime, city of Boston is a much smaller proportion of its metro area than NYC. NYC across its five boroughs has lots of very affluent areas, lots of middle class/working class areas, and some ghetto too. Since Boston didn't get to do the big annexation NY did (in 1898) most of the low crime neighborhoods around Boston that are equivalent to, say, Pelham Parkway or Marine Park or Laurelton or most of Staten Island lie outside the city limits. And most of the concentrated poverty hyper-segregated areas that experience the stabbings and shootings are within city limits. All those low-crime neighborhoods within the NY municipality bring down the citywide average.

Don't know where you get your news of crime in New York but the reporting situation is different, at least in major newspapers. Someone gets stabbed or shot in Boston it's in the Globe. Few violent crimes are reported in the Times and even the Post and News can't keep up with all the everyday violence.

Check out BostonBornMassMade's posts. He knows more about the violent crime situation in Boston than any other poster here.

Old 08-14-2017, 12:04 PM

I look at police reports , social media, major newspapers & hyper local news & blogs

Old 08-14-2017, 05:20 PM

1,106 posts, read 853,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
Haha! We boomers understand even less

As to crime, city of Boston is a much smaller proportion of its metro area than NYC. NYC across its five boroughs has lots of very affluent areas, lots of middle class/working class areas, and some ghetto too. Since Boston didn't get to do the big annexation NY did (in 1898) most of the low crime neighborhoods around Boston that are equivalent to, say, Pelham Parkway or Marine Park or Laurelton or most of Staten Island lie outside the city limits. And most of the concentrated poverty hyper-segregated areas that experience the stabbings and shootings are within city limits. All those low-crime neighborhoods within the NY municipality bring down the citywide average.

Don't know where you get your news of crime in New York but the reporting situation is different, at least in major newspapers. Someone gets stabbed or shot in Boston it's in the Globe. Few violent crimes are reported in the Times and even the Post and News can't keep up with all the everyday violence.

Check out BostonBornMassMade's posts. He knows more about the violent crime situation in Boston than any other poster here.
Thanks for the shoutout!

Boston Vs New York Crime Rate 2006: Moderator cut: Link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
The main difference is because at one point NYC was so heavily crime plagued in almost every area that NYC became much more of a police state than Boston. And the constant surveillance and all the rules and regulations of New York City make it much harder to get away with crimes. Also because Boston is smaller there are many people who see each other more often and know people's relatives and families.

Last night I got on the 66 from Allston and trabsferred in to the 28 to crash at a friend in Mattapan..at the back of the bus was a friend from my rival private school. He told me he had been jumped by somenkids HE KNEW about 16 years old. They let him go because he told hem 'if y'all rob me in gonna have too tell folks ' according to him those folks would shoot those kids whether or not asked them to. The night before that a coworker of mine was jumped going from Boston Park plaza to Roxbury.

There is just generally less surveillance and because the city is dead at 9/10pm it just opens up the streets for the junkies, marauding youths, dirt bike drive by shooters, prostitutes and the like. NYC is more well lit and has more street activity which has been proven to decrease crime. It also has more officer per capita. 24 hour transit makes it less likely you get 'caught out there'. I know of about 5:6 friends who've been jumped and mugged. On top of this many many crime particularly home invasions and jidnappings/ransoms are not reported to the police because everyone knows each other. In Boston it's much much harder to hide from your enemies.

Also Boston has a much much much more entrenched gang. Untrue. NYC has drug trafficking and individual hustlers but Boston has many gangs of 60-140 people. Almost all of these gangs formed in the mid to late 1980s but knew ones branch off or set up shop all the time whenever they 'pop' another gang. We also have much lighter sentences and more lenient judges and drug enforcement.

But yea the crime rate in Boston is objectively much higher Than NYC per capita. But the gap has narrowed since the high crime 2005-2010 years in Boston back when we averaged 65 homicides a year. In 2010 and 2005 Dorchester had 33 homicides in a 6 square mile neighborhood. Only about 3/4 of which are high crime. Gentrification in Boston has been of working class areas and not really the high crime poor neighborhoods. The only really high violent crime neighborhood to be fully gentrified is the South End and maybe Mission Hill. In NYC its many formerly extremely high crime areas hat have been almost totally altered in the past 20-25 years. And no Charlestown and southie don't count, the crimes there we're more 'hands off' (extortion, racketeering, holding up delivery trucks, bank robberies) not so much homicide rape assault home invasions and carjackings like you see in the DRM.

Whitey Bulger only ever trafficked in his neighborhood and over his whole career was implicated in about 19 homicides. The hand that the up as the mob died down..they have put posts and fronts in Georgia No Maine Maryland Florida and carry hundreds of thousands in liquid assets at a time. i read somewhere that the LUCERNE STREET DOGS had 80% trained shooters in their Gand (hitters). Most street gangs have about 20% of the guys who arw the hitters. On twitter I've seen HBLOCK guys shooting at the gun range. Certain guys if I bring up their name even if they're in South Bay Correctional-people will still be quiet and fearful of saying their name.

Mattapan Roxbury and Forheater have over 900 unsolved homicides since 1970 and 96% of all NON FATAL shooting in Boston go unsolved. The absolute worst rate of any city in the country.

Boston Is a Shooters

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.wcvb....icides/8235988

H Block: Where children are shot in a gang war that goes back decades | Universal Hub

Last edited by Yac; 08-23-2017 at 06:16 AM..

Old 08-14-2017, 05:58 PM

8,639 posts, read 8,775,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Thanks for the shoutout!

Boston Vs New York Crime Rate 2006: Moderator cut: Link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
The main difference is because at one point NYC was so heavily crime plagued in almost every area that NYC became much more of a police state than Boston. And the constant surveillance and all the rules and regulations of New York City make it much harder to get away with crimes. Also because Boston is smaller there are many people who see each other more often and know people's relatives and families.

Last night I got on the 66 from Allston and trabsferred in to the 28 to crash at a friend in Mattapan..at the back of the bus was a friend from my rival private school. He told me he had been jumped by somenkids HE KNEW about 16 years old. They let him go because he told hem 'if y'all rob me in gonna have too tell folks ' according to him those folks would shoot those kids whether or not asked them to. The night before that a coworker of mine was jumped going from Boston Park plaza to Roxbury.

There is just generally less surveillance and because the city is dead at 9/10pm it just opens up the streets for the junkies, marauding youths, dirt bike drive by shooters, prostitutes and the like. NYC is more well lit and has more street activity which has been proven to decrease crime. It also has more officer per capita. 24 hour transit makes it less likely you get 'caught out there'. I know of about 5:6 friends who've been jumped and mugged. On top of this many many crime particularly home invasions and jidnappings/ransoms are not reported to the police because everyone knows each other. In Boston it's much much harder to hide from your enemies.

Also Boston has a much much much more entrenched gang. Untrue. NYC has drug trafficking and individual hustlers but Boston has many gangs of 60-140 people. Almost all of these gangs formed in the mid to late 1980s but knew ones branch off or set up shop all the time whenever they 'pop' another gang. We also have much lighter sentences and more lenient judges and drug enforcement.

But yea the crime rate in Boston is objectively much higher Than NYC per capita. But the gap has narrowed since the high crime 2005-2010 years in Boston back when we averaged 65 homicides a year. In 2010 and 2005 Dorchester had 33 homicides in a 6 square mile neighborhood. Only about 3/4 of which are high crime. Gentrification in Boston has been of working class areas and not really the high crime poor neighborhoods. The only really high violent crime neighborhood to be fully gentrified is the South End and maybe Mission Hill. In NYC its many formerly extremely high crime areas hat have been almost totally altered in the past 20-25 years. And no Charlestown and southie don't count, the crimes there we're more 'hands off' (extortion, racketeering, holding up delivery trucks, bank robberies) not so much homicide rape assault home invasions and carjackings like you see in the DRM.

Whitey Bulger only ever trafficked in his neighborhood and over his whole career was implicated in about 19 homicides. The hand that the up as the mob died down..they have put posts and fronts in Georgia No Maine Maryland Florida and carry hundreds of thousands in liquid assets at a time. i read somewhere that the LUCERNE STREET DOGS had 80% trained shooters in their Gand (hitters). Most street gangs have about 20% of the guys who arw the hitters. On twitter I've seen HBLOCK guys shooting at the gun range. Certain guys if I bring up their name even if they're in South Bay Correctional-people will still be quiet and fearful of saying their name.

Mattapan Roxbury and Forheater have over 900 unsolved homicides since 1970 and 96% of all NON FATAL shooting in Boston go unsolved. The absolute worst rate of any city in the country.

Boston Is a Shooters

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.wcvb....icides/8235988

H Block: Where children are shot in a gang war that goes back decades | Universal Hub
Another reason it seems bad is basically all the murders in the Metro are in Boston. (and a couple other towns)NY huge areas like Staten Island and Queens that have very little Crime, if Boston added Quincy, Brookline, Cambridge, etc it would be safer. On an MSA level Boston is much safer than NY.

Last edited by Yac; 08-23-2017 at 06:16 AM..

Old 08-14-2017, 06:50 PM

3,268 posts, read 2,194,061 times
There was an article last week that there has been an overall increase in crime in boston this summer

Old 08-14-2017, 06:54 PM

3,268 posts, read 2,194,061 times
Boston seeing increase in shootings so far in 2017, police data shows

Old 08-15-2017, 08:37 AM

486 posts, read 360,715 times
Combine a revolving door, catch and release court system with "I ain't seen sh*t, pig!" attitude and that's exactly what you get.

Old 08-15-2017, 09:59 AM

Good info ! Yea NYC is way bigger . Crime in concentrated in the South Bronx, East New York & Brownsville

Old 08-15-2017, 10:00 AM

I dropped pins on a map of all the places with incidents these past 3 months and its in pretty concentrated area in the boston area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or