U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2017, 07:51 AM

53 posts, read 35,627 times

Advertisements

I am moving back to Boston after a year in Pittsburgh. My wife and I lived in North Quincy prior to moving and we liked it there quite well. It seems based on my Craigslist search that I could get a 2br for around $1600-1900/mo in North Quincy. We need two bedrooms as we are planning to start a family.

I am wondering if there is any better location that will allow me to have a relatively easy commute to downtown while reducing the cost of rent and maintaining safety.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by lvoevge; 08-16-2017 at 08:13 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2017, 10:46 AM

7,899 posts, read 6,827,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoevge View Post
I am moving back to Boston after a year in Pittsburgh. My wife and I lived in North Quincy prior to moving and we liked it there quite well. It seems based on my Craigslist search that I could get a 2br for around $1600-1900/mo in North Quincy. We need two bedrooms as we are planning to start a family.

I am wondering if there is any better location that will allow me to have a relatively easy commute to downtown while reducing the cost of rent and maintaining safety.

Thanks in advance.
I don't live in Quincy but that sounds too cheap to be true.

Old 08-16-2017, 10:54 AM

608 posts, read 386,619 times
That is a low budget for a quality 2bed from what I'm hearing anecdotally.

Maybe you could look into Dorchester, which is gentrifying. The area around JFK/UMass is safe.

You could also check out the Express Bus routes. People don't realize it, but the Express Busses conveniently fill in some gaps in the T map.

Old 08-16-2017, 11:03 AM

53 posts, read 35,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rethcir View Post
That is a low budget for a quality 2bed from what I'm hearing anecdotally.

Maybe you could look into Dorchester, which is gentrifying. The area around JFK/UMass is safe.

You could also check out the Express Bus routes. People don't realize it, but the Express Busses conveniently fill in some gaps in the T map.
Thanks for the tip. I'm seeing it on Craigslist popping up repeatedly in the North Quincy area. I have no explanation for why it's so cheap, but even at certain complexes with a lot more amenities, their 2BRs are in the $2300-2500 range.

I haven't heard about the express bus routes but I will certainly look into it. Thanks for the tip.

Old 08-16-2017, 11:13 AM

1,097 posts, read 437,134 times
I think you could find something in NQ for that price or a little higher. You need to dig and be ready to move fast. I also think its not a bad commute to DTX. Seeing that you lived there before I think it would make sense.

Old 08-16-2017, 11:39 AM

6,325 posts, read 9,041,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoevge View Post
Thanks for the tip. I'm seeing it on Craigslist popping up repeatedly in the North Quincy area. I have no explanation for why it's so cheap, but even at certain complexes with a lot more amenities, their 2BRs are in the $2300-2500 range.

I haven't heard about the express bus routes but I will certainly look into it. Thanks for the tip.
Be careful about rental ads on Craigs List. There are a lot of scammers who use that site.

Old 08-16-2017, 08:12 PM

608 posts, read 386,619 times
A lot of the time, rental realtors will post too-good-to-be-true listings as a "honey pot" to get you to contact them. Then they'll say "oh, that one's gone, but here's all these other ones that are allllmost what you want..."

Old 08-17-2017, 06:33 AM

7,899 posts, read 6,827,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
Be careful about rental ads on Craigs List. There are a lot of scammers who use that site.
Could be a scammer, but the scammers I think are more common are posting adds for studios or one bedrooms in places like North End, South End, etc for like $800. To people moving from other places, that seems like a normal price. Then they mail a security deposit to the person who is for some reason or another not in town and then they promise to mail a key.

The honey pot theory I think is more plausible.

Old 08-17-2017, 11:25 AM

8 posts, read 3,651 times
You can try Roslindale, which is a neighborhood in Boston. The rent is still reasonable. There's a commuter rail station, which has mostly white collar professionals boarding. The fare is a little bit more expensive, but worth it especially if you can get your employer to subsidize the cost. The train will get you to Back Bay and South Station in 15-18 minutes.

Roslindale is crawling with young children, strollers and red wagons galore. So it's very popular with young families--especially the ones priced out of Jamaica Plain. You can find a lot of Roslindale parents on neighborhood Facebook groups, so you'll wouldn't have a hard time meeting other families.

Old 08-17-2017, 11:58 AM

4,250 posts, read 3,319,455 times
Yes I think you need to be careful. My mother is renting a nice apartment for her sister who is moving here from Europe and her apartment in NQ is close to $2100 a month for just a small one bedroom. So it's either a scam, or there are issues with the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or