U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 10:33 AM

4,033 posts, read 8,262,802 times

Advertisements

Just wondering what the locals think of the Free Speech rally (and its outcome) held yesterday on the Common.

Was it intended to be an actual free speech rally? Or did it only offer conservative speakers (as opposed to speakers from across the political spectrum)? I ask b/c all the media is mentioning are the conservative speakers and how they had to leave b/c of the counter-protesters.

Old 08-20-2017, 10:49 AM

2,778 posts, read 1,580,906 times
Of course it wasn't an actual "free speech" rally. Overall, I think it went well. The anti-hate counter protesters did a good job for the most part. I'm glad the white supremacists were vastly outnumbered.

Old 08-20-2017, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
Of course it wasn't an actual "free speech" rally. Overall, I think it went well. The anti-hate counter protesters did a good job for the most part. I'm glad the white supremacists were vastly outnumbered.
Why do you say "Of course it wasn't an actual 'free speech' rally"? More specifically, why are you putting free speech in quotations?

Old 08-20-2017, 02:38 PM

6,007 posts, read 13,192,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
Why do you say "Of course it wasn't an actual 'free speech' rally"? More specifically, why are you putting free speech in quotations?
Did you see the lineup of speakers? Hint: there weren't any constitutional lawyers or viewpoints across the political spectrum.

Old 08-20-2017, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
Did you see the lineup of speakers? Hint: there weren't any constitutional lawyers or viewpoints across the political spectrum.
No, I didn't see the lineup of speakers; the news sources only mentioned that there were conservative speakers (some possibly affiliated with the groups(s) that spoke in Charlottesville) in the lineup.

Still, I find it troubling that conservative speakers were not even able to speak.

Old 08-20-2017, 04:31 PM

2,799 posts, read 1,529,494 times
Quote:
No, I didn't see the lineup of speakers; the news sources only mentioned that there were conservative speakers (some possibly affiliated with the groups(s) that spoke in Charlottesville) in the lineup.

Still, I find it troubling that conservative speakers were not even able to speak.
What did you think they would speak about? Any guesses?

Old 08-20-2017, 04:36 PM

7,031 posts, read 6,724,026 times
Here is the real story.

http://bluelivesmatter.blue/boston-f...-antifa-video/

Love it how the Boston Globe said the protestors were "peaceful". Disgusting.

Old 08-20-2017, 04:38 PM

1,949 posts, read 3,331,979 times
Quote:
Because scumbags like Walsh were very open about the fact that if they didn't like what you had to say you "weren't welcome". I don't like pathetic scumbag Nazi wannabe's anymore than any other person but until you start issuing ACTUAL threats or promoting violence hate speech IS still speech and even douchebags have the RIGHT to voice their opinions. Even if only the 1% of scumbags agree with it. Trying to limit speech to only what you agree with is a VERY dangerous path to go down. I also have a serious issue with all the media acting as if what happened in Charlottesville was somehow ok with them by saying things like "if they come from VA" That moron was from OH, and C'ville is a very liberal minded city, but like most of the time, they only report what they think people want to hear and could care less whether it's based on any type of facts.

Old 08-20-2017, 05:03 PM

3,576 posts, read 1,830,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snatale1 View Post
Because scumbags like Walsh were very open about the fact that if they didn't like what you had to say you "weren't welcome". I don't like pathetic scumbag Nazi wannabe's anymore than any other person but until you start issuing ACTUAL threats or promoting violence hate speech IS still speech and even douchebags have the RIGHT to voice their opinions. Even if only the 1% of scumbags agree with it. Trying to limit speech to only what you agree with is a VERY dangerous path to go down. I also have a serious issue with all the media acting as if what happened in Charlottesville was somehow ok with them by saying things like "if they come from VA" That moron was from OH, and C'ville is a very liberal minded city, but like most of the time, they only report what they think people want to hear and could care less whether it's based on any type of facts.
Yep, the Mayor said they weren't welcome - that's not infringing on free speech. But they were issued a permit and thus had the opportunity to express their free speech.

Some of the speakers that were scheduled included:

Kyle Chapaman aka Based Stickman - he got the nickname after using a wooden stick over the head of a counter protester in Berkeley. He is a self professed American Nationalist and founder of Fraternal Order of Alt Knights

Joe Biggs - a political correspondent for Info Wars

Old 08-20-2017, 06:26 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,252,250 times
There are videos of a guy in a MAGA cap and an Israeli flag as a cape, being chased and harassed by the leftist protesters ("F off! Get the F out of this town!" One guy was saying "no violence! No violence!" but others were acting pretty threatening. I'm not sure why a MAGA cap or an Israeli flag deserves this kind of verbal abuse and physical threat. Someone grabbed his cap off his head.

The cops made 33 arrests; Boston Globe wasn't specific as to what groups the suspects were affiliated with.

The right wingers left early. There were only about 50 of them.

It seems like there were some hostile elements among the 30-40K left wingers who showed up to "silence" the right wingers.

I hate fascists and neo-nazis but it sure seems to me that it's counter productive for leftist protesters to act like fascists and suppress free speech. In many ways, they are every bit as fascistic as the people they oppose, and certainly they have been much more violent -- in Berkeley, at Middlebury College, in Boston, Charlottesville, and other places around the country.

I think the antifa people should be arrested and charged with every crime they have committed including threatening cops. They're basically anarchists and are abusing freedom of speech.

Neo-nazis should be monitored and definitely should be picked up if they threaten. But harassing them like this mob has done will only empower them, as today's Boston Globe editorial says.

Just my humble opinions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston