Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 08:38 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Guess you have never heard of the Research Triangle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Research_Triangle

I have always thought of Boston as being a bit backward with their witch trial history.
Thinking of Salem.

But yeah Boston is certainly quite provincial historically. Only now the close mindedness has morphed into "we are more intellectual than everyone."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2017, 12:41 PM

1,642 posts, read 1,398,044 times
Quote:

I have always thought of Boston as being a bit backward with their witch trial history.
I'm guessing you don't want to go 1693 into the research triangle's history either.

Old 10-06-2017, 01:08 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,231,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOORGONG View Post
Boston is the most intellectual city in Massachussets.
Um no. Cambridge.

Old 10-06-2017, 03:11 PM

2,079 posts, read 1,123,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
Um no. Cambridge.
You would have a field day with that in England. Whuch is the most intellectual city in the UK? Oxford or Cambridge?

Better still: which Cambridge is the most intellectual: The British or American one? Lotsa lafftah!

Old 10-08-2017, 08:28 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,310,989 times
Don't get me wrong. There is a lot I really like about living in the Boston area. But applying the perspective of a well-educated outsider from the South, there is a lot of pretentiousness, a lot of credentialism, and a lot of bigotry toward any other place in the US (especially the South).

Old 10-08-2017, 09:12 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Don't get me wrong. There is a lot I really like about living in the Boston area. But applying the perspective of a well-educated outsider from the South, there is a lot of pretentiousness, a lot of credentialism, and a lot of bigotry toward any other place in the US (especially the South).
Very very true. Unambiguous contempt for the rest of the country is a pretty common thing here. Especially the south.

Old 11-01-2017, 10:47 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,137,060 times
Quote:

Having clients in the 'research triangle', I find it slightly underwhelming compared to top tier R&D metros such as Boston and Bay area, though the COL is certainly preferable and it's future may be bright. For the moment, however, it lacks the capital/density of the established 'hot beds'.

As for finding Boston "a bit backward" for the witch trials, that seems a bit odd. As early as 1711 the governor/state acknowledged the executed were wrongly convicted and families were compensated. Additionally, modern MA residents deride that 300 year old event as a case of hysterical zealots and certainly do not celebrate the 'bad actors'. Contrast this with the fact that in 2017 North Carolina is still holding debate as to whether Jim Crow era confederate monuments ought to be taken down .... let's just say I might have a different view on who's culturally 'backwards'.

Old 11-01-2017, 11:55 AM

1,642 posts, read 1,398,044 times
Quote:

How far back in the Research Triangle area are you willing to go?

Old 11-01-2017, 02:23 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,312,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
I know it sounds both naive and pretentious, but during my travels I find myself continually underwhelmed by workers in FL, AZ, SC, GA while WA, MN, CT/MA/NH, MD, NJ workers are more or less on a similar plane.

Of course, the margins are relatively small as humans will have the same average intelligence regardless of location - it's a matter of education.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
Great more intellectual elites in your city, no thanks. I don't need their know it all attitudes.
Hey you guys...please explain to me what we're really talking about here, maybe it's both intelligence and education. I can't say that I know the answer but I think there is a difference or it's certainly not the same thing.

Is it one's mental capacity, one's education, or both?

Eta: Maybe it's just snobbery.

You Can Be Highly Intelligent Without Being Highly Educated

Two of the most intelligent people I've ever met did very poorly in school. One graduated, but just barely, and the other never finished high school. When it comes to learning anything that they don't associate with school, they learn fast… much, much faster than normal.

The difference between intelligence and education - Philosophy, Politics and Science - Asexual Visibility and Education Network

Old 11-01-2017, 02:54 PM

2,079 posts, read 1,123,768 times
I had a high school buddy whose Hungarian dad was an HVAC and plumbing systems engineer. He had no degree to speak of, but designed stuff for very large buildings in Montreal. He was asked to teach at University and when someone found out he didn't have the proper credentials, shoot hoot the fan as they say... Plenty of folks don't have no degree none and ain't the worse for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston