U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-08-2018, 02:12 PM
 
Location: 'greater' Buffalo, NY
2,822 posts, read 1,898,831 times
Reputation: 3633

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
Says the guy who advertises the top 20 school he went to every time he posts.
Lol...I was going to make basically the same comment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-10-2018, 05:19 PM
 
2 posts, read 1,076 times
Reputation: 16
Boston an intellectual city??????? Let's say MIT, Harvard - yep, that's it. Other universities/colleges not so great, BU being an exception also. Regular public education - quite a laugh. Maybe that's why most students accepted into MIT and Harvard are NOT from Massachusetts schools!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2018, 05:52 PM
 
Location: Quincy, Mass. (near Boston)
2,050 posts, read 3,462,411 times
Reputation: 1618
Quote:
Originally Posted by mymaitai View Post
Boston an intellectual city??????? Let's say MIT, Harvard - yep, that's it. Other universities/colleges not so great, BU being an exception also. Regular public education - quite a laugh. Maybe that's why most students accepted into MIT and Harvard are NOT from Massachusetts schools!!
Do you really think Stanford, Princeton, Duke, University of Chicago, etc., really draw most of their students from the local city or state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2018, 06:45 PM
 
6,980 posts, read 6,700,483 times
Reputation: 4676
Quote:
Originally Posted by mymaitai View Post
Regular public education - quite a laugh.
And so is just about every other urban school system in the US. Immediately surrounding Boston are some of the best school systems in the country. Now only the top 5% can afford them anymore, but still...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2018, 12:46 PM
 
Location: East Coast
2,771 posts, read 1,574,518 times
Reputation: 3993
Quote:
Originally Posted by mymaitai View Post
Boston an intellectual city??????? Let's say MIT, Harvard - yep, that's it. Other universities/colleges not so great, BU being an exception also. Regular public education - quite a laugh. Maybe that's why most students accepted into MIT and Harvard are NOT from Massachusetts schools!!
??? I'm puzzled as to why you'd expect a majority to come from MA schools. Arguably, perhaps if it were 1950, but certainly not today.

Also, I'm not clear -- when you say "BU being an exception also" whether you are saying BU is a great school. Do you really think it is better than Tufts, BC, Brandeis or Northeastern? I've been surprised to learn just how tough Northeastern is to get into -- kids who are waitlisted or accepted at schools like the University of Michigan have been rejected at Northeastern.

In addition, intellectualism doesn't stem purely from the areas where students are drawn from. When you have an area with a very high amount of professors, researchers, and writers, you're bound to have higher levels of intellectualism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2018, 12:53 PM
 
Location: Chibostoncaliseattle
1,605 posts, read 737,479 times
Reputation: 1393
I would actually argue that Massachusetts in it's entirety may be the most intellectual state, but I'm not sure I'd say Boston proper is the most intellectual city. Every city I've experienced has it's intellectual niches and areas, and overall, I found the Seattle population to be quite impressive. Not to be a contrarian, but If we want to nitpick, Cambridge is probably more intellectual than Boston, as is Brookline

As a whole, I'd say MA has a very strong case, although states like NJ/CT/MD would make a good argument I'm sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2018, 01:00 PM
 
32,716 posts, read 22,676,881 times
Reputation: 29777
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
I've been surprised to learn just how tough Northeastern is to get into -- kids who are waitlisted or accepted at schools like the University of Michigan have been rejected at Northeastern. .


You shouldn't be. Northeastern mastered the ranking game. They aren't getting rejected because they aren't smart enough or qualified to get in, but because NEU knows those students are unlikely to accept, so it is better for their ranking to reject the applicant. Who to accept and who to reject is a science nowadays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2018, 01:42 PM
 
Location: East Coast
2,771 posts, read 1,574,518 times
Reputation: 3993
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
You shouldn't be. Northeastern mastered the ranking game. They aren't getting rejected because they aren't smart enough or qualified to get in, but because NEU knows those students are unlikely to accept, so it is better for their ranking to reject the applicant. Who to accept and who to reject is a science nowadays.
Yes, so I hear. Although I've heard of one kid who absolutely would have accepted. That was where he wanted to go. But, it is what it is. Their whole internship program seems to have been very successful and probably something more schools should emulate. A relatively new law school in the Philadelphia area has implemented this strategy (internships) very successfully.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2018, 03:50 PM
 
Location: Boston, MA
7,855 posts, read 6,812,290 times
Reputation: 6573
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
You shouldn't be. Northeastern mastered the ranking game. They aren't getting rejected because they aren't smart enough or qualified to get in, but because NEU knows those students are unlikely to accept, so it is better for their ranking to reject the applicant. Who to accept and who to reject is a science nowadays.
Yep, this is definitely something colleges do. Especially the ones with an axe to grind. Sneaky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2018, 11:01 AM
 
Location: (six-cent-dix-sept)
3,969 posts, read 1,940,197 times
Reputation: 2440
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
Yes, so I hear. Although I've heard of one kid who absolutely would have accepted. That was where he wanted to go. But, it is what it is. Their whole internship program seems to have been very successful and probably something more schools should emulate. A relatively new law school in the Philadelphia area has implemented this strategy (internships) very successfully.
drexel and northeastern (possibly other america-east schools) have had 5-year trimesters (where 1 trimester each year is dedicated to on-site work co-op which count towords course credits). anyone with actual experience that can confirm ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top