U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 07:14 PM

7,854 posts, read 6,805,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
Great more intellectual elites in your city, no thanks. I don't need their know it all attitudes.
Agreed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2017, 07:20 PM

3,444 posts, read 4,348,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
Great more intellectual elites in your city, no thanks. I don't need their know it all attitudes.
Says the guy who advertises the top 20 school he went to every time he posts.

Old 08-23-2017, 07:29 PM

3,935 posts, read 3,845,235 times
The Quinn Bill also plays into this. It works quite well all things being said. There are general expectations in Mass of performance. Nearly every profession I know of has some major of a degree and/or a certification. I think some of this also comes from the fact that the deindustrialization happened generations ago. Factories that closed in the 1930's moved south and potentially have closed in the past 20 years.

Old 08-24-2017, 07:29 AM

2,769 posts, read 1,571,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Bostonians are not intellectual. They are obsessed with accreditation and educational keeping up with the joneses. They encourage falling in line and doing what everyone thinks you should do. Intellectual? No. Creative? No. Status seeking? Yes.

Honestly, I respect people outside of the Cambridge/Boston education elite much more than those in it (I am in it, for the record). Thank God it's a minority of people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
This hasn't been my experience. There are certainly some status-obsessed people I've met, but for the most part the better-credentialed people tend to be less showy about it. If half the people you know have an advanced degree, it stops being a way to impress and so people care less about it. My experience is pretty limited, though.

If anything, I'd say the issue I have isn't that people aren't intellectual, it's that they value intellectualism excessively. The elitism isn't so much demand for credentials, but disdain for things perceived as middle or low culture. The kind of people who always find a way to work in that they don't own a TV (even if they just watch everything on their computer). In my life, it's a small but noticeable group. Maybe there will be more of this once my kids get into school.
It's not the degree someone has, but the intellectual curiosity and intellectual endeavors that people engage in. You're both right that yes, there are some status obsessed people here, but that's not what makes the city intellectual. There are a huge number of bookstores, and people actually read. While book clubs exist everywhere, they seem to exist here in even greater numbers. And people are much, much more engaged in local politics (and to an extent, national politics) than they are in other areas. Where I lived before, part of the problem was that no one knew about or really cared about politics. One woman, who was not an idiot, and actually had gone to an Ivy League school did not even know who our current senator was a few years back. This was a well-known senator even outside the state, and he was running for re-election. The outright intellectual dis-engagement was a sharp contrast to the engagement I find up here.

I don't so much see the distain for pursuits that are considered "low culture." I'm sure it exists, but the bigger reason for determining that a location is intellectual is the fact that the people do pursue a lot of intellectual endeavors.

Old 08-24-2017, 08:13 AM

710 posts, read 298,162 times
They can't be that smart voting for Hillary Clinton. I'd give the title to Wisconsin, maybe Pennsylvania which is a very well rounded state.

Old 08-24-2017, 08:33 AM

310 posts, read 88,074 times
Does Thomas Sowell live in Boston?

Old 08-24-2017, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben Shunamit View Post
Does Thomas Sowell live in Boston?
Stanford.

Old 08-24-2017, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
It's not the degree someone has, but the intellectual curiosity and intellectual endeavors that people engage in. You're both right that yes, there are some status obsessed people here, but that's not what makes the city intellectual. There are a huge number of bookstores, and people actually read. While book clubs exist everywhere, they seem to exist here in even greater numbers. And people are much, much more engaged in local politics (and to an extent, national politics) than they are in other areas. Where I lived before, part of the problem was that no one knew about or really cared about politics. One woman, who was not an idiot, and actually had gone to an Ivy League school did not even know who our current senator was a few years back. This was a well-known senator even outside the state, and he was running for re-election. The outright intellectual dis-engagement was a sharp contrast to the engagement I find up here.

I don't so much see the distain for pursuits that are considered "low culture." I'm sure it exists, but the bigger reason for determining that a location is intellectual is the fact that the people do pursue a lot of intellectual endeavors.
I see virtually no intellectual curiosity in this city.

Old 08-24-2017, 10:28 AM

32,716 posts, read 22,656,169 times
Quote:

Fascinating, as almost everyone I know is almost always taking classes, attending lectures (from arts to mycology), in book clubs, etc.

Old 08-24-2017, 10:44 AM

278 posts, read 149,424 times
Quote:
Really?

Maybe you don't see any in your field of work but research and discovery in the biotech/medical field is absolutely moving at a blistering pace, and Cambridge/greater Boston are is at the forefront of this wave not just in the US but worldwide. I work with many start ups and early stage companies and the intellectual curiosity and enthusiasm is higher than I have ever seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Fascinating, as almost everyone I know is almost always taking classes, attending lectures (from arts to mycology), in book clubs, etc.
Agreed - the curious minds are always curious, and about many different topics

Last edited by sawyer2; 08-24-2017 at 10:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or