U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 09:05 PM

1,607 posts, read 739,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snatale1 View Post
That stuff is hardly specific to Boston. Many cities throughout the country have all of that and in states that are far more business and big company friendly, which equals putting that many more people into those roles.
It's pretty specific to Boston and San Francisco, actually, especially while considering the industries that were listed.

Regardless, Massachuetts per capita GDP is among the highest in the US while unemployment rates are among the lowest. As we all know, that reflects in the high personal income levels. MA won't knock your socks off with Forbes 500 companies like a Texas or a Georgia, but because of the R&D from the Universities and the crazy amount of local graduate talent, Boston will continue to remain a powerhouse.

By the way, to the OP- Massachusetts was just given the title of best public schools (again, and again, and again). I don't know if Boston is the most intellectual city out there, but is there really a metric for that? All i know is that the state has the highest test scores and likely the most impressive higher education institutions in the union.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2017, 07:53 AM

7,864 posts, read 6,815,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snatale1 View Post
That stuff is hardly specific to Boston. Many cities throughout the country have all of that and in states that are far more business and big company friendly, which equals putting that many more people into those roles.
Exactly, Bostonians' favorite pastime is patting themselves on the back though.

What about a city like Columbus OH? 60k students at Ohio State in a metro area of just around 2 million. That's a pretty large percentage. Not to mention that there are TONS of alumni that stay in Columbus. Pretty good history of starting businesses including Wendy's and Limited Brands.

I could make similar cases for Pittsburgh and Minneapolis.

Old 09-13-2017, 08:22 AM

11,336 posts, read 5,852,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
I would probably agree, although it's not always a benefit. Harvard and MIT, without question, The others ( BC, BU, Northeastern, Tufts, etc) are good, but hardly top-drawer---they're just very expensive.
People cite the US News & World Report rankings like they're gospel. There have been endless articles about universities that purposefully reworked themselves to boost their ratings. George Washington and Northeastern are poster children for it. Education is a business. You make more money if you have a higher ranking.

Metro-Boston certainly makes the top-5 somewhere for intellectual city. I don't see how the metro area has enough population to make #1.

Old 09-18-2017, 12:10 PM

1,323 posts, read 677,276 times
As a metro we have a lot of smart students. Then some leave some stay. We also have plenty of non college educated people. I'm an auditor still fairly new out of college, 2 of my cousins went to trade high school and are an electrician and a mechanic for a GM dealership. They both make more than me right now

Old 09-19-2017, 11:53 PM

216 posts, read 90,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
i think there is a zip code in cambridge between harvard and m.i.t. that has the highest concentration of doctors/professors/researchers in the country (world ?).

anecdotally, i was watching a podcast where one of the hosts was pulled over in massachusetts and the cop mentioned they were also attending harvard extension school at nite -- higher education is more contagious there than anywhere else in my opinion.
02138, I believe.

Old 09-20-2017, 01:52 AM

2,050 posts, read 3,463,445 times
I did see a C-D post years ago commenting how Boston likely has the most interesting people per capita in the world...perhaps?

Old 09-20-2017, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
I did see a C-D post years ago commenting how Boston likely has the most interesting people per capita in the world...perhaps?
That certainly sounds like something this board would conclude.

Old 09-20-2017, 06:37 AM

3,455 posts, read 4,354,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
The world? Certainly not with me bringing down the average.

Interesting and intellectual are two completely different things. In my experience, almost everyone everywhere is interesting if you ask them the right questions.

Old 09-20-2017, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
The world? Certainly not with me bringing down the average.

Interesting and intellectual are two completely different things. In my experience, almost everyone everywhere is interesting if you ask them the right questions.
The more intellectual someone supposes oneself, the less interesting they are. See this board for evidence.

Old 09-20-2017, 10:55 AM

905 posts, read 390,437 times
Not to hijack, but I must say that Boston folks may well have the best sense of humor in the country, perhaps the world.

;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or