U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-20-2017, 04:44 PM
 
Location: Westwood, MA
3,468 posts, read 4,358,792 times
Reputation: 4471

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
The more intellectual someone supposes oneself, the less interesting they are. See this board for evidence.
I'm not even sure how to unpack this. Did I miss some big meetup where everyone got to know each other? I can't tell who's interesting and who's not from a few odd comments about Massachusetts. No one has made up elaborate stories about all the interesting things they do, which is the only sure sign someone isn't that interesting.

I've met plenty of interesting people in Boston, some from here, some from elsewhere. I've met plenty of interesting people in other places. I've met people that are intellectual by almost any measure but never anyone who's come out and said that they were an intellectual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-20-2017, 06:19 PM
 
Location: Boston, MA
7,889 posts, read 6,822,879 times
Reputation: 6610
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
I'm not even sure how to unpack this. Did I miss some big meetup where everyone got to know each other? I can't tell who's interesting and who's not from a few odd comments about Massachusetts. No one has made up elaborate stories about all the interesting things they do, which is the only sure sign someone isn't that interesting.

I've met plenty of interesting people in Boston, some from here, some from elsewhere. I've met plenty of interesting people in other places. I've met people that are intellectual by almost any measure but never anyone who's come out and said that they were an intellectual.
Ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2017, 07:08 PM
 
Location: Westwood, MA
3,468 posts, read 4,358,792 times
Reputation: 4471
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Ok.
Sure.

So if not Boston, where? I've run into a few condescending academics here, but mostly people in academia or intensely curious about a few things, and just normal people for most other things. If their day job pays for them to be curious about something intellectual they'll generally be more intellectual. Not every guy at the Post Office is Bukowski.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2017, 07:56 AM
 
Location: Boston, MA
7,889 posts, read 6,822,879 times
Reputation: 6610
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
Sure.

So if not Boston, where? I've run into a few condescending academics here, but mostly people in academia or intensely curious about a few things, and just normal people for most other things. If their day job pays for them to be curious about something intellectual they'll generally be more intellectual. Not every guy at the Post Office is Bukowski.
I think the entire question of "most intellectual city" is a bit ridiculous. Bostonians are the only ones I ever see talking about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2017, 08:49 PM
 
Location: Westwood, MA
3,468 posts, read 4,358,792 times
Reputation: 4471
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I think the entire question of "most intellectual city" is a bit ridiculous. Bostonians are the only ones I ever see talking about it.
Then why do you find it so important to keep coming back to this thread to answer in the negative? You seem to have a pretty strong opinion that it's pretty unintellectual. You can't both think it's a meaningless question and answer that it's not a dozen times.

I've only lived six places and Boston is the most intellectual of those. Baton Rouge was the least intellectual. It's not night and day-- there are people in Baton Rouge that are a lot more curious than people in Boston. to some degree those people leave Baton Rouge when they can and go somewhere like Boston (or D.C. or NYC). Not all of them, but enough that it makes a difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2017, 04:15 AM
 
1 posts, read 615 times
Reputation: 10
[quote=turf3;49267473]What you are talking about is more "history" than "intellectual". True, Boston has lots of history.

I think there are a lot of well-educated people here. Who never, ever, ever, stop telling you how well-educated they are. If I never again hear "when I studied at MIT" or "one of my colleagues at Harvard", it will be OK with me.

Other than Harvard, MIT, and Brandeis, many of the "colleges" and "universities" are not really top grade institutions.[/QUOTE

Ma schools better than Brandeis

TUFTS
AMHERST
WELLESLEY
WILLIAMS
BOSTON COLLEGE



Big three are Harvard MIT and Tufts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2017, 11:28 AM
 
Location: Ex-Bostonian in Woodstock, GA
684 posts, read 533,105 times
Reputation: 768
[quote=GuyDRtrue;49594299]
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
What you are talking about is more "history" than "intellectual". True, Boston has lots of history.

I think there are a lot of well-educated people here. Who never, ever, ever, stop telling you how well-educated they are. If I never again hear "when I studied at MIT" or "one of my colleagues at Harvard", it will be OK with me.

Other than Harvard, MIT, and Brandeis, many of the "colleges" and "universities" are not really top grade institutions.[/QUOTE

Ma schools better than Brandeis

TUFTS
AMHERST
WELLESLEY
WILLIAMS
BOSTON COLLEGE



Big three are Harvard MIT and Tufts
And Bunker Hill Community College
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2017, 11:56 AM
 
Location: Boston, MA
7,889 posts, read 6,822,879 times
Reputation: 6610
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
Then why do you find it so important to keep coming back to this thread to answer in the negative? You seem to have a pretty strong opinion that it's pretty unintellectual. You can't both think it's a meaningless question and answer that it's not a dozen times.

I've only lived six places and Boston is the most intellectual of those. Baton Rouge was the least intellectual. It's not night and day-- there are people in Baton Rouge that are a lot more curious than people in Boston. to some degree those people leave Baton Rouge when they can and go somewhere like Boston (or D.C. or NYC). Not all of them, but enough that it makes a difference.
More ego stroking. Someone has to knock it down. This board can be incredibly smug. Makes the city look bad.

Sorry to offend your sensibilities.

Also never said it's "unintellectual." That's your word, not mine. The whole premise is just a circle jerk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2017, 12:08 PM
 
Location: Boston
1,131 posts, read 859,639 times
Reputation: 1186
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyMae521 View Post
Not to hijack, but I must say that Boston folks may well have the best sense of humor in the country, perhaps the world.


;-)
This I can agree wth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2017, 01:39 PM
 
7,335 posts, read 8,991,221 times
Reputation: 8388
[quote=GuyDRtrue;49594299]
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
What you are talking about is more "history" than "intellectual". True, Boston has lots of history.

I think there are a lot of well-educated people here. Who never, ever, ever, stop telling you how well-educated they are. If I never again hear "when I studied at MIT" or "one of my colleagues at Harvard", it will be OK with me.

Other than Harvard, MIT, and Brandeis, many of the "colleges" and "universities" are not really top grade institutions.[/QUOTE

Ma schools better than Brandeis

TUFTS
AMHERST
WELLESLEY
WILLIAMS
BOSTON COLLEGE



Big three are Harvard MIT and Tufts
Tufts is not special--just expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top