U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 07:28 PM

91 posts, read 53,729 times

Advertisements

There is a possibility I will be relocating for work in the Watertown area in the near future. While it's relatively close to the city of Boston, I discovered the T doesn't approach that area. Being a young adult who values a social life on days/nights off, restaurants/bars within a reasonable distance and access to public transportation into Boston would be plusses.

So, when it comes down to where to look for an apartment/condo, what areas would you suggest? My salary would be around $60K/year. A place near the Red Line (Cambridge?) or Green Line (Brookline/Allston/Brighton?) makes getting to/from Boston easy (except after 1-2am). If I moved closer to Watertown, I'd be relying on Ubers or Lyfts, which could get expensive. I'd save some money if I sold back my car, but feel it may be essential getting to and from work.

Bostonians, what do you suggest?

Last edited by LivingInAmerica; 08-24-2017 at 08:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2017, 08:19 PM

3,477 posts, read 4,364,237 times
Where exactly in Watertown are you going to be? I can't think of anywhere in Watertown that isn't at least close to a bus. If I were in your shoes I'd live close enough to bike and then mostly bike. Maybe somewhere like Allston/Brighton.

Old 08-24-2017, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
Where exactly in Watertown are you going to be? I can't think of anywhere in Watertown that isn't at least close to a bus. If I were in your shoes I'd live close enough to bike and then mostly bike. Maybe somewhere like Allston/Brighton.
Relatively close to Arsenal Yard. And sadly, I'm not a biker. So it would be a car or a bus getting me to and from Watertown each day for work.

Old 08-24-2017, 09:23 PM

114 posts, read 61,308 times
I second biking where possible. Could even kick scooter or segway if you're adventurous. Bus if you want to pay for a slower commute that's out of the elements. I commute through Cambridge, it legit takes me 20 minutes by bike, 30 minutes by car not including parking time.

Live in or near Allston or Brighton. Avoid living in Watertown or Cambridge more than a few blocks west of Cambridge Massachusetts ave. These are prime family-oriented areas (i.e. young person desert).

Old 08-24-2017, 09:25 PM

1,300 posts, read 748,311 times
You have the 70 and 70A buses on Arsenal Street running from Waltham to Boston, more bus routes nearby at Watertown Square, and if you will be working in the Arsenal on the Charles campus there is shuttle service to Harvard Square, Back Bay, and South Boston. 128 Business Council may also be starting shuttle service to the Arsenal area in the near future.

Old 08-25-2017, 10:14 AM

65 posts, read 113,391 times
So, wait, can you drive to work? Arsenal Yard would be, like, 15 minutes or less from anywhere in Watertown, I would think. If you rent in Watertown, your work-life balance would be easier re: commuting. Even if you ditch your car, you could probably take the bus from anywhere in Watertown to work pretty easily. Watertown tends to be (key word: "relatively") less expensive for the Boston area. I live in a part of Newton that is closer to express bus stops than the commuter rail. Most people in my neighborhood use the express bus to get downtown if we have to go there during rush hour (although my neighbor says she has not been downtown in years). I would think Watertown in the same.

Unfortunately, 60K doesn't go very far in the Boston area. If you have sparkling credit or are willing to pay more than half your take-home pay in rent, you may be able to snag something relatively cheap but you have to be the first in line. Watertown, Waltham, and Newton are all areas that are closer to the Arsenal where you MAY find something "relatively" affordable. You would need a car in some of these areas though and most of them tend to be more residential/family areas than yuppie scenes. Waltham's Moody Street scene is noted but ratty IMO. There are pockets of Newton that try to be yuppie friendly but are still struggling with their identities.

I would advise against Allston if you value quiet and your stuff. Brighton tends to be more expensive and you would likely end up in a shared housing situation there. Many people here who have what are considered middle income salaries elsewhere find themselves sharing housing with strangers here or commuting from Worcester, which is about 50 miles west of Boston.

Old 08-25-2017, 05:58 PM

608 posts, read 387,555 times
AthenaHealth? Basically they own everything east of Watertown Square.

Even accounting for the traffic in Watertown Square, it's easy to get over to the Arsenal from anywhere in Watertown (particularly north of the river).

You should also look in Newton Corner, Nonantum, and Brighton. All these areas are served well by bus, or uber, for getting into the city quickly. Uber/Lyft really are a game changer that make living in these areas off the train much easier if you frequent the city.

Moody Street Waltham in particular is a hot place with lots of bars, restaurants, ethnic shops, etc.

Give bike riding a shot, you might like it. There's a bike path along the Charles that makes it almost a no-brainer in this area.

Old 08-27-2017, 04:16 PM

Some interesting options here. Wanted to clarify some things:

For confidentiality, I cannot name where I currently work or where I'm looking in terms of company.

A few people have mentioned riding a bike. I haven't rode a bike in years and would not be in this scenario. While it may be a good suggestion, it won't be relevant to this thread. I currently own a car, but depending on where I end up living (if I get the offer), we'll see if I need it or not.

I realize that Boston and the surrounding neighborhoods aren't cheap, but my projected salary should be good enough to land a smaller 1-bedroom somewhere. I currently live in a $1.1K/month condo and am making less than what I would here. Anything in the low-to-mid 1s would suffice.

As for location within on of Boston's nearby neighborhoods, I'm a young, single adult, so having access to the social scene is important for me. I don't have to live right there (i.e. Allston, where it's mostly undergrads), but having access to public transportation to move about the city will suffice. I don't want to drink and drive.

Old 08-28-2017, 07:27 AM

32,778 posts, read 22,735,981 times
Brighton

Old 08-28-2017, 03:20 PM

608 posts, read 387,555 times
It's conceivable to find a studio or small 1b in the low 1k range, but it will be pretty tough. If you can be with a roommate or roommates, your options will open up considerably.

The only alternative to driving or biking to the Arsenal is the 70/70A bus, which does go past there. You could pull up that map and look into some of the areas over there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or