Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 06:32 AM

14 posts, read 17,299 times

Advertisements

I have a chance to move to Boston. Stay with family for few months till i get a job and find a place to live. Currently im a warehouse manager. My questions are. Is Boston a cool city to live around? I know its very expensive to live there. I feel like i need to make $100k just to pay my bills. You opinion about B town
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2017, 07:06 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,722,770 times
Why do you want to move?

This is my second time living here. The first time I didn't like it so much because it did not compare favorably to Chicago. This time I like it much better because I've lived in several other places, and realized Boston is better than most.

I see you're in Chicago now.

So, take that FWIW.

If you need a change, want to be near family here, and you reasonably believe you will be able to get a job better than the one you currently have, then you can do it. It is a nice place to live, and Chicago is having some issues right now.

It really depends on what you're looking for and why you want to move.

Old 08-25-2017, 10:00 AM

6,459 posts, read 7,793,546 times
There are many places that are better and less expensive so I agree w/chicagoliz that it depends on why. If you have a connection (family) or other strong pull like a good job offer, that's one thing. If not, I'd look at other places that are friendlier, more affordable, offer easier commutes, and better climate. It's not an easy place to live. If you were in bioscience, medicine, or any other hot market where Boston could benefit your career growth that would be another factor to consider but you aren't in one of those fields.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Old 08-25-2017, 12:07 PM

2,310 posts, read 6,824,560 times
If you make the same money as before your move, you'd be miserable seeing how little the same salary gets you compared to before.

Old 08-28-2017, 07:05 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
I think Boston is great. But I think Chicago is better. The bad part about Chicago is the economy there, so if you have a decent gig, I'd stay.

Old 08-29-2017, 08:49 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,445,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving2017ab View Post
I have a chance to move to Boston. Stay with family for few months till i get a job and find a place to live. Currently im a warehouse manager. My questions are. Is Boston a cool city to live around? I know its very expensive to live there. I feel like i need to make $100k just to pay my bills. You opinion about B town
You don't need 100k.

Are you single? How old are you? If you are relatively young and unattached, I'd say you can do pretty ok with a 50k salary. Not living large, but certainly well enough by most reasonable standards.

But what are your motivations for moving here?

Old 08-29-2017, 09:52 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,722,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
You don't need 100k.

Are you single? How old are you? If you are relatively young and unattached, I'd say you can do pretty ok with a 50k salary. Not living large, but certainly well enough by most reasonable standards.

But what are your motivations for moving here?
I don't think anyone can say this. We don't know what his expenses are. Maybe he has student loans out the wazoo. Maybe he has medical bills or other debt. Maybe he has someone else he contributes money to. Maybe he has expensive hobbies.

But, certainly there are various options for making things work, like having a number of roommates, going without a car, etc.

Old 08-29-2017, 09:59 AM

23,548 posts, read 18,693,959 times
Exactly, with so many variables no one can make that determination with the limited facts the OP has provided. But I would think it's safe to say that the "average" unattached person could make it, at long as they don't have any major obligations beyond basic living expenses.

Old 08-29-2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
I don't think anyone can say this. We don't know what his expenses are. Maybe he has student loans out the wazoo. Maybe he has medical bills or other debt. Maybe he has someone else he contributes money to. Maybe he has expensive hobbies.

But, certainly there are various options for making things work, like having a number of roommates, going without a car, etc.
Nothing from his post suggests any of that. If it's true, the OP will say so. He was concerned if Boston is "cool."

LOL maybe he has expensive hobbies. The horror!

You don't need 100k.

Old 08-29-2017, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
But I would think it's safe to say that the "average" unattached person could make it, at long as they don't have any major obligations beyond basic living expenses.
Absolutely. Most people here though are absolutely loaded and truly don't think life is worth living if they can't live in luxury.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
View detailed profiles of: