U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 02:34 PM

993 posts, read 738,904 times

Advertisements

Definitely recommend Cambridge or Somerville. There are lots of Harvard, Tufts and MIT faculty living here with kids. It's slightly more affordable than Cambridge and 4k should get you something decent. Check out the Porter/Davis areas - lots of young families and access to the red line train that takes you right to Harvard. We live in this area of Somerville with kids and it's pretty great. Arlington is more suburban without any train stations unless you live near Alewife but it's not very walkable over there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2017, 07:36 PM

1,634 posts, read 743,232 times
I love Somerville, but the idea of having kids/originally being from Mississippi leads me to believe maybe there are better fits. Part of Somerville's charm (to me) is it's rough and tumble urban back bone mixed with new development and a cool food and beer scene. I'd focus heavily on Cambridge, Brookline, Arlington or Belmont. All will give you and your husband bus and train options both in and out of Harvard Square.

Cambridge is going to be the most vibrant, with extremely varied neighborhood settings. As i've stated in prior posts, Cambridge is one of my absolute favorite cities in the US, and none of the neighborhoods are 'bad'- simply different. I love the area south of Porter Square and North of Harvard Square, but without getting too specific, any area around Harvard Square is going to be extremely family friendly. Loads of restaraunts in/around Harvard leading east into The Port and Central Square on Mass Ave and Broaday respectively.

Brookline is a close second, but is not nearly as exciting in my opinion. That said, it has a lot of the same redeeming qualities as Cambridge and the neighborhoods are very very nice (especially West towards Chestnut Hill).

If you want more quaint, do Belmont. It's a very pretty suburb that butts up against Cambridge to the West. Arlington is going to have a bit more development than Belmont, but may be my last pick of the bunch.

Old 08-31-2017, 08:46 AM

885 posts, read 712,123 times
Agree with mwj119 on this one. I'm in Somerville right now, and will probably look to move to Arlington if I ever have kids. While you could probably cherry pick some very narrow minded data points about Somerville schools you still have to deal with the kinds of things city school systems everywhere deal with. To be far, so does Cambridge. Somerville tragically had a 16 year old long time SPS student shot this week, and I doubt his parents have tenure or work in Kendall Square.

Old 08-31-2017, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post
Agree with mwj119 on this one. I'm in Somerville right now, and will probably look to move to Arlington if I ever have kids. While you could probably cherry pick some very narrow minded data points about Somerville schools you still have to deal with the kinds of things city school systems everywhere deal with. To be far, so does Cambridge. Somerville tragically had a 16 year old long time SPS student shot this week, and I doubt his parents have tenure or work in Kendall Square.
But you have no experience with the schools, so what is this really based on? Let's face it you have a bias against your town and it's newcomers in general, it shows all the time. I have lost count of the parents that went into these schools with some apprehension and are so happy they stayed now. Funny thing is, one Elementary school here is "top ranked" on greatschools with a 10 and it doesn't even get waitlisted anymore but 2 other schools do. Parents learn the truth when they are part of the community. Often these negative attitudes are driven veiled racism. The shooting of the Malden high student was tragic, but come on who's talking about cherry picking here? #1 killer of teens is teens who drive, and urban teens drive less.

Old 08-31-2017, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
I love Somerville, but the idea of having kids/originally being from Mississippi leads me to believe maybe there are better fits. Part of Somerville's charm (to me) is it's rough and tumble urban back bone mixed with new development and a cool food and beer scene. I'd focus heavily on Cambridge, Brookline, Arlington or Belmont. All will give you and your husband bus and train options both in and out of Harvard Square.

Cambridge is going to be the most vibrant, with extremely varied neighborhood settings. As i've stated in prior posts, Cambridge is one of my absolute favorite cities in the US, and none of the neighborhoods are 'bad'- simply different. I love the area south of Porter Square and North of Harvard Square, but without getting too specific, any area around Harvard Square is going to be extremely family friendly. Loads of restaraunts in/around Harvard leading east into The Port and Central Square on Mass Ave and Broaday respectively.

Brookline is a close second, but is not nearly as exciting in my opinion. That said, it has a lot of the same redeeming qualities as Cambridge and the neighborhoods are very very nice (especially West towards Chestnut Hill).

If you want more quaint, do Belmont. It's a very pretty suburb that butts up against Cambridge to the West. Arlington is going to have a bit more development than Belmont, but may be my last pick of the bunch.
Not sure when you were in the area last but the Porter/Davis area of Somerville probably has more young families than anywhere in Cambridge and the "rough and tumble" thing is simply gone, for better or worse.

Old 08-31-2017, 01:19 PM

885 posts, read 712,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semiurbanite View Post
But you have no experience with the schools, so what is this really based on? Let's face it you have a bias against your town and it's newcomers in general, it shows all the time. I have lost count of the parents that went into these schools with some apprehension and are so happy they stayed now. Funny thing is, one Elementary school here is "top ranked" on greatschools with a 10 and it doesn't even get waitlisted anymore but 2 other schools do. Parents learn the truth when they are part of the community. Often these negative attitudes are driven veiled racism. The shooting of the Malden high student was tragic, but come on who's talking about cherry picking here? #1 killer of teens is teens who drive, and urban teens drive less.

Well hopefully it remains an isolated incident, but Somerville High has been in the news for serious issues in the past few years. Do you happen to have any experience with Somerville High school or just anectodes? Most people I know with kids in school go there, and I don't know if you are talking about the same place as I am. Either way, a tragedy for this long time Somerville Public Schools community member. He was only in Malden for 1 year.

Not sure what driving has to do with anything, but if you get all tingly looking at that Lance Armstrong suit in the mirror then bike away!.

Old 08-31-2017, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post
Well hopefully it remains an isolated incident, but Somerville High has been in the news for serious issues in the past few years. Do you happen to have any experience with Somerville High school or just anectodes? Most people I know with kids in school go there, and I don't know if you are talking about the same place as I am. Either way, a tragedy for this long time Somerville Public Schools community member. He was only in Malden for 1 year.

Not sure what driving has to do with anything, but if you get all tingly looking at that Lance Armstrong suit in the mirror then bike away!.
That kid who sued the city never spent a single day in Somerville schools. He was a transfer student who had attended elite private schools through eight grade and was transferring into SHS.

All schools have some bad seeds - swastikas in Brookline and Newton, sexual assault by faculty at elite private schools like Exeter and Milton, and isolation closets in "#1 ranked" pressure cooker Lexington elementary schools A Terrifying Way to Discipline Children - The New York Times

My point is, places where teens drive are most dangerous for teens, period. The shooting was tragic, but look at statistics for this age group.

I've recently gotten to know a few SHS families, most quite happy, but honestly that place is probably going to be pretty different by the time my kids get there, not sure it's much of a barometer today. One neighbor's kid went to Tufts, another to Univ of Chicago. But hey when I see a school flying a pride flag, and putting out inclusive stuff like this, it makes me proud to live here.

Elected Prom Queens! https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...nUL/story.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ybe5ia1HAno

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szZxgu1pVuA

Pretty awesome, that's my town.

Last edited by semiurbanite; 08-31-2017 at 02:37 PM..

Old 08-31-2017, 02:45 PM

How crazy, literally just now on NPR (WBUR) an ivy educated Somerville parent talking about schools!

What's The Best Way To Measure School Quality? | Radio Boston
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or