U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 07:59 AM

7,856 posts, read 6,812,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
Difficult situation with pets. I own rental property right outside of Boston & i will not allow any pets. Tenants promise you the world about how their pets are not a problem, but from my prior experience it's just how much damage the pet does to the property & how it can be fixed. Happened almost every time until I had enough.

I'm sure there are responsible pet owners out there, but it's not worth the trouble, at least for me. I'm not surprised that most landlords have just walked away from dealing with the issue.....especially in a hot real estate market like this.
Cue the outrage!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2017, 08:44 AM

5,680 posts, read 5,013,554 times
I don't think many people are "outraged" if landlords don't allow pets. But it certainly is a challenge for people who have pets and aren't planning on just dumping them because they are relocating and aren't in a position to buy at the moment.

Old 08-30-2017, 08:51 AM

278 posts, read 149,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enfinity View Post

Other questions:
- How much is parking per month for those places where off-street parking is tougher to find? (i.e. Brookline)
- Is the pet situation REALLY going to screw us over, since someone mentioned that landlords can refuse to rent?

- We have a parking spot with our rental in Brookline and rent to tenants for $125 month and to non-tenants for $175-200/month. Craigslist will be your best bet for renting parking - lots on there and vary from 100-200 depending on location.
- We don't allow pets because there is enough of a pool of tenants that we don't need to take on additional risk.

Padmapper is a decent website where you can enter your search criteria (parking,allows pets etc) and will give you a sense of what is available.

Old 08-30-2017, 09:00 AM

2,771 posts, read 1,574,518 times
I haven't been in the rental market for quite some time, but I remember in some areas it was common to charge "pet rent." So, if you moved into an apartment and had a pet you had to pay an additional $x per month. Does no one have that option here?

I have a friend who lives in a complex in Norwood. She has a mid-large size dog, and it seems like most of the people who live there have dogs, too. They even have a dog park area in the complex.

We were in an expensive building in Cambridge for a short while when we moved up here and there were lots of dogs in that building, too. They also had an enclosed dog area. But I have no idea how much extra it was for the dog, since the company was paying for it.

Old 08-30-2017, 09:31 AM

278 posts, read 149,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
I haven't been in the rental market for quite some time, but I remember in some areas it was common to charge "pet rent." So, if you moved into an apartment and had a pet you had to pay an additional $x per month. Does no one have that option here?
- You can charge a supplemental 'pet rent'

- You can collect a 'pet deposit" however, the maximum a landlord can charge when you move in is the first month's rent, the last month's rent, a security deposit and the cost of a new lock and key.

- You can not charge a 'pet fee' at move in
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or