U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 10:10 PM

3 posts, read 1,607 times

Advertisements

Yes, yet another moving thread. I'll try to make this as informative on my end as possible.

- Married, no kids
- one small dog (poodle)
- Summer 2018 (june/july) move
- Salary ~$120K (wife doesn't work)
- Preference is non-suburb (i.e. west of Newton is out)
- Job in Natick/Framingham area (reverse commute?)
- 1BR/1BA only needed
- Somewhat minimalists, so large space not needed (hopefully 700+ sqft? can be a little smaller)
- 1 car
- rent ideally around $2,000
- safe (obviously)
- somewhat walkable
- dishwasher, in unit laundry preferable

My wife fell in love with Brookline, then I found out that she's not the only one. When I say walkable, it doesn't have to be extremely close to MBTA stops, but somewhat close and walkable (~10-15 minutes) to places for her to go to (cafes, parks, restaurants) would be good. She absolutely ruled out any burbs like living at this stage in our lives. Maybe later.

I didn't realize it'd be an issue, but it seems like having a dog is an issue for apartments in Boston? Are there pet fees, or does the fact that we have a small dog completely rule out the majority of apartments?

Could I get a 1BR/1BA of 700 sqft (and not a rat hole) for $2000 in Brookline?

Other places that seemed ok to us were Newton, Brighton. Am I missing out on areas?

Also unsure how crazy parking is in these areas. But I would need to commute every day to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2017, 05:17 AM

2,769 posts, read 2,210,048 times
Your wife needs to work if you want to live in Brookline.

Yes, dogs will make the apartment hunt harder. Pet fees are illegal but landlords get away with charging it (they are allowed to refuse to rent to people with pets).

Where will you be commuting too?

Old 08-29-2017, 05:54 AM

466 posts, read 345,206 times
It will be difficult to find a place with parking and that accepts dogs in Brookline. You will most likely have to pay additional for parking, as Brookline does not allow overnight parking and not many places offer it.
You may want to start scouring Craigslist after September to get a better idea of what is available in your range. 9/1 is a big move in date around Boston, so inventory right now is lower than usual. Checkout Brookline (Coolidge Corner, Village, Washington Square pretty walkable), parts of Newton and maybe even Watertown near West Newton or Mt. Auburn. Next spring, be ready to jump on a place that checks most of your boxes.

Old 08-29-2017, 05:56 AM

684 posts, read 531,945 times
If you're not finding anything in Brookline due to your budget, I would suggest going a little further down and checking out the Cleveland Circle area of Brighton. Still close enough to Brookline for access to their restaurants. Only negative to that area (or positive?) is that it is basically on Boston College's campus. Tons of students.

Old 08-29-2017, 06:33 AM

32,716 posts, read 22,666,022 times
I have friends that rent in the complexes along Beacon (not sure if it is Brookline, probably Brighton) that get both off street parking and have dogs for $2000 or less with heat included.

Old 08-29-2017, 06:38 AM

3,268 posts, read 2,194,061 times
W. Roxbury is close to Brookline and cheaper.

Old 08-29-2017, 07:53 AM

599 posts, read 383,844 times
It's really tough to find "non-suburb" on that budget. Maybe South Waltham?

Old 08-29-2017, 08:08 AM

8,711 posts, read 8,913,183 times
Is Arlington a "non-suburb"?

Old 08-29-2017, 08:12 AM

444 posts, read 460,164 times
Roslindale might work for you. You could afford it, street parking is plentiful (and you might be able to find a driveway). There's less going on there than in Brookline, but it's somewhat walkable. It's safe. Lots of smaller-time landlords, so you might be able to find a pet friendly place (as opposed to professionally managed buildings that may have blanket prohibitions.) You can actually probably get a two-bed for your budget--most rentals in Roslindale are two-beds within multi-family houses.

Old 08-29-2017, 08:49 AM

1,690 posts, read 3,211,336 times
I'd add Jamaica Plain and Roslindale, both (like Brighton) within Boston city limits. JP especially nice. From there you'd do a backroads commute. If Newton is ok then Watertown and Belmont are similar. Cambridge better still, especially western parts by Watertown and Belmont, like around Huron Ave. Not sure what that does to your commute--the closer to the turnpike you are the easier the access to Natick-Framingham. Waltham could work too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or