U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 05:51 AM

8,711 posts, read 8,906,804 times

Advertisements

So with air travel set to increase over the next decade or so, what's their alternative to picking up the slack if they try to reduce vehicle congestion and drop off/pickups?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2017, 06:15 AM

112 posts, read 60,233 times
Do people just like to complain? Objectively, Logan is one of the better US airports. Centrally located unlike Dulles and Ohare. Relatively modern unlike Laguardia and JFK. And enough volume to attract direct traffic. I concede that Logan compares unfavorably to international airports like Singapore's Changi or Switzerland's Zurich.

Multiple easy public transportation options already exist. I support a fee on pick-ups to reflect the additional congestion and burden that drivers into Logan create. The concept is very similar to congestion pricing; unpopular but very effective for clogged city streets. I frequently drive to Logan to pick up visitors. Though I would be personally financially impacted, I believe it is the right public policy.

Old 08-30-2017, 06:57 AM

6,977 posts, read 6,693,614 times
There is not a congestion problem with the roadways leading to the airport themselves, but the bottleneck at the terminals that create backup.

I'm just old enough to remember when people actually parked and went inside to meet incoming flights. Add more hourly parking and at a cheaper rate. MSP does a pretty decent job at moving along idlers, but once they leave people move right back in there and linger. There needs to be zero tolerance for that, maybe post permanent security along the curbs to prevent people from sitting there for more than a few seconds. Maybe they could have a holding area similar to the cab stand, for people "ready to go" after they notify whoever is picking them up from the cell phone lot.

Old 08-30-2017, 07:09 AM

32,716 posts, read 22,656,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Massport has agreed to study the proposal in exchange for the Conservation Law Foundation to not oppose Logan's plan for a new parking garage.

IMHO, Massport will consider it and then file the proposal away once the parking garage is built.

Ah, that makes sense.

Even with the hassle, most of the people I've met in Providence so far still choose to fly out of Logan due to the better routes and cheaper fares. But, maybe someday there will be a tipping point.

Old 08-30-2017, 07:35 AM

It's all about the fares. Back when PVD and MHT were cheaper, it was the reverse. People would more often travel from the Boston area to fly out of those airports than the other way around. I suspect that as Logan becomes even more congested, demand will increase at those airports (and Worcester as well) which will bring in more airlines/flights and eventually put a downward pressure on fares. And due to fewer tolls, congestion and parking hassles; people are still willing to pay a little more to fly out of the smaller airports with all other things being equal.

Old 08-30-2017, 08:09 AM

32,716 posts, read 22,656,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
It's all about the fares. Back when PVD and MHT were cheaper, it was the reverse. People would more often travel from the Boston area to fly out of those airports than the other way around. I suspect that as Logan becomes even more congested, demand will increase at those airports (and Worcester as well) which will bring in more airlines/flights and eventually put a downward pressure on fares. And due to fewer tolls, congestion and parking hassles; people are still willing to pay a little more to fly out of the smaller airports with all other things being equal.

Sure, assuming they also have the non stop routes, etc. But, that, so far, usually isn't the case. People, it seems, understandably are willing to pay a bit more to avoid transfers.

Old 08-30-2017, 08:20 AM

3,268 posts, read 2,193,284 times
Yes some things are worth complaining about. Flying is already expensive and usually not a great experience, getting to the airport is already a hassle and adding on this just makes things worse. Why the heck wouldn't people complain?

Old 08-30-2017, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Sure, assuming they also have the non stop routes, etc. But, that, so far, usually isn't the case. People, it seems, understandably are willing to pay a bit more to avoid transfers.
As I said, all else being equal. I'm primarily talking about people going to D.C., Orlando, Atlanta, Charlotte, Chicago, Philly, etc. which is a big chunk of flyers. But at one point PVD did offer a lot more non-stop routes. As demand comes back, we should slowly see more hopefully.

Old 08-30-2017, 08:21 AM

2,769 posts, read 2,209,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowstatus View Post
Do people just like to complain? Objectively, Logan is one of the better US airports. Centrally located unlike Dulles and Ohare. Relatively modern unlike Laguardia and JFK. And enough volume to attract direct traffic. I concede that Logan compares unfavorably to international airports like Singapore's Changi or Switzerland's Zurich.

Multiple easy public transportation options already exist. I support a fee on pick-ups to reflect the additional congestion and burden that drivers into Logan create. The concept is very similar to congestion pricing; unpopular but very effective for clogged city streets. I frequently drive to Logan to pick up visitors. Though I would be personally financially impacted, I believe it is the right public policy.
The problem with public transportation is its not easy for everyone. Families with kids, the elderly etc can't easily take public transportation to Logan. And from the suburbs the only viable public transportation option is Logan Express which is expensive, time consuming and stressful.

Old 08-30-2017, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
Yes some things are worth complaining about. Flying is already expensive and usually not a great experience, getting to the airport is already a hassle and adding on this just makes things worse. Why the heck wouldn't people complain?
More importantly, who is this "Conservation Law Foundation" and why should they be holding us all hostage? Logan clearly needs more parking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or