U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 11:09 AM

3,268 posts, read 2,194,061 times

Advertisements

I dont know why people who have little kids and babies insist on traveling. It's just not the time in your life to do it. If you have far away relatives they should come to you. I'm saying this as someone who has a 1 yr old and 3 yr old. It's not easy for the parents and not pleasant for other travelers who have to listen or get their seat kicked. Then of course most parents seem to feel they deserve special treatment simply because they are traveling with their special snowflakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2017, 11:10 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,818,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
Not really. I've got little kids, I am not dragging them on Logan Express with luggage, carryons and car seats. I'm also not going to wait up to an hour after I reach the arrivals area to get on a bus for an hour, then drive another 20 minutes home. I can drive to Logan in 45 minutes - Logan Express would double the length of the trip and you still have to pay for it and parking.
I've done Logan Express with infants/toddlers/kids and I found it far less stressful and cheaper than driving us into the airport, looking for a parking spot, unloading the car seats, waiting for a shuttle bus, etc. For less than $100 round trip for a family of 4, I find it to be an incredible bargain as well as an easy way to get dropped off and picked up right in front of the terminal.

But you're entitled to your opinion.

Old 08-30-2017, 11:11 AM

2,769 posts, read 2,210,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
I dont know why people who have little kids and babies insist on traveling. It's just not the time in your life to do it. If you have far away relatives they should come to you. I'm saying this as someone who has a 1 yr old and 3 yr old. It's not easy for the parents and not pleasant for other travelers who have to listen or get their seat kicked. Then of course most parents seem to feel they deserve special treatment simply because they are traveling with their special snowflakes.
Shockingly, sometimes relatives are unable to travel.

Old 08-30-2017, 11:12 AM

6,980 posts, read 6,696,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
If I'm picking someone up, I go to the cell phone lot and wait for a text when the passenger deplanes. I always tell them to go to the departures level, exit left out of the terminal, and go to the far end where I pick them up. It gets us out of the melee that is the drop off area right in front of the doors.
And if everybody went that way, this issue would largely be resolved on its own. My knee-jerk impression is, those arrogant pr@#$s who want to park in front of the Arrivals for 15 minutes, will not be moved by this new fee to alter their behavior.

Old 08-30-2017, 11:22 AM

32,716 posts, read 22,666,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
OK, where do they obtain the authority to mandate a proposal such as this on the rest of us? If demand exists for the garage, and Massport has the available land, well...

That would be covered under their mission statement. It is publically posted.

Old 08-30-2017, 11:27 AM

3,268 posts, read 2,194,061 times
The idea of having to pay to pick someone up or drop someone off is just absurd. No-one wants to be doing it in the first place...now you might have to pay?? I guess it's kind of like the T. No one really wants to take it but they have to. What's next people will have to pay fees to drive their own car to work or to go to the grocery store. This state/country is getting scary. I'll just stay home thanks. I'd rather not be on a cramped flight anyways

Old 08-30-2017, 11:30 AM

6,980 posts, read 6,696,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
That would be covered under their mission statement. It is publically posted.
"Mission Statement" does not = authority. I do not see how gouging the public will solve the problem they have identified. Airport idlers need to be dealt with by Massport itself within the airport, and providing more parking is one tool they have.

Old 08-30-2017, 11:42 AM

32,716 posts, read 22,666,022 times
Quote:
"Mission Statement" does not = authority. I do not see how gouging the public will solve the problem they have identified. Airport idlers need to be dealt with by Massport itself within the airport, and providing more parking is one tool they have.

What "authority" did they have to make the clean up of boston harbor happen? It's the same. Massport is a public (or quasi public) agency that has to obey laws, so they used the authority of the legal system, and thankfully they do.

If you want to learn more about their work, and I don't know, educate yourself, there are the resources out there to do so. They publicize their work, their reasons for doing it, and their goals right on their website.

Old 08-30-2017, 01:04 PM

5,680 posts, read 5,012,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
You don't know why people have different lives, circumstances, priorities and abilities than you do?

Old 08-30-2017, 01:14 PM

18,977 posts, read 10,040,378 times
Quote:
There is not a congestion problem with the roadways leading to the airport themselves, but the bottleneck at the terminals that create backup.

I'm just old enough to remember when people actually parked and went inside to meet incoming flights. Add more hourly parking and at a cheaper rate. MSP does a pretty decent job at moving along idlers, but once they leave people move right back in there and linger. There needs to be zero tolerance for that, maybe post permanent security along the curbs to prevent people from sitting there for more than a few seconds. Maybe they could have a holding area similar to the cab stand, for people "ready to go" after they notify whoever is picking them up from the cell phone lot.

We have a waiting area at the airport here in Denver - in part because it's located so far out from the city and in the middle of no where. They even have a small terminal so you can park your car, and go inside to get a snack or a cup of coffee while watching the monitors. Once the person you pick up lands, then you can think about making your way to the actual terminal. It's a good option to keep people from trying to cluster in the pick up area, but they are pretty strict about kicking you out if you aren't actively loading or unloading.

My last home in the Boston area was in Chelsea, so I kind of did the same thing - have whoever I was picking up call me when they landed and I could get to the airport fast enough that I could meet them once they got their bags.

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
Correct, and in the absence of faster public transportation options to Logan drop off fees would be another brick in the cost of living wall in this area. The people most likely to have a family member or friend drop them at the airport generally correlate to those who can least afford the extra expense on top of the gas, massport fees, tolls, etc. The airport is already over-leveraged as a profit center and piggy bank for the area.

Personally I would not be impacted. I generally take an Uber to the airport. If I drive, I have access to the gold passport parking areas. Both are business write offs. I am very fortunate. I travel from Logan several times a month and have been dropped off there maybe once on the past 2 years. Taking public transportation to and from the airport would add hours onto every trip for most people.
Of course you'd be impacted. Maybe not personally if it's a business write off but if an Uber driver has to pay a fee to pick up and drop off, that will of course be passed on to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or