U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 09:04 AM

3,969 posts, read 1,938,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
I'd say West Roxbury doesn't belong with the others in that "south area" grouping. It's a lot more similar to Dedham than it is to Dorchester or JP.
i was thinking of putting w.r. in front; does dedham fit there as well ?

Quote:
Also, Charlestown & Eastie don't belong with Cambridge & Somerville. Charlestown and Eastie go more with Revere and Chelsea, whereas Somerville and Cambridge go more with Belmont and Arlington. They should be two different groups.
i can see arlington, chelsea, revere in north; belmont just feels too far out-of-mind and geographically.

Quote:
Finally, I don't get the name "Front Bay" to describe the western urban area around Allston, Brighton, and Brookline. They are very far from the water. Maybe "the interior" or something would be more appropriate.
reminds me of this:
Quote:
In The Simpsons episode "Lisa on Ice", Lisa imagines being sentenced to Monster Island for failing Physical Education. The judge informs her that the term "Monster Island" is just a name, but Lisa discovers that the island is in fact the home of several kaiju. Fleeing from the giant creatures (which are Mothra, Rodan, and Gamera), Lisa is informed by one of her fellow inmates that what the judge meant was that Monster Island is in fact a peninsula.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2017, 12:28 AM

Quote:

Also, Charlestown & Eastie don't belong with Cambridge & Somerville. Charlestown and Eastie go more with Revere and Chelsea, whereas Somerville and Cambridge go more with Belmont and Arlington. They should be two different groups.

somerville and charlestown are def link up because of sully sq.

Old 09-11-2017, 05:22 AM

3,448 posts, read 4,352,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
back bay:
north end
beacon hill
kenmore
fenway
government center
downtown crossing
chinatown
south end

south bay:
south boston
dorchester
mattapan
roxbury
hyde park
roslndale
jamaica plain
west roxbury

north bay:
cambridge
somerville
charlestown
east boston

front bay:
brookline
brighton
allston

what additions, changes would you make ?
The names are all wrong. The divisions need work, too.

Back Bay is called that because it used to be an actual bay. On the back side of the Shamut Peninsula. The front would be Boston Harbor. The water feature in that direction is just the Charles River. No bay and it's further back. The same hold true for what you call the North Bay. It's at least North, but there's no bay.

It's also not historically or geographically reasonable to group the old Shamut Peninsula neighborhoods under the name Back Bay. Why not call all the original Boston neighborhoods "Old Boston"? Group Back Bay with Fenway and Allston/Brighton as the lower Charles; South Boston could be actual South Boston along with Dorchester. HP, WR, Roslindale could be the Southwest. And then Group Mission Hill and Roxbury, although I'm not sure of the name? Not sure where Mattapan would fit best. East Boston and Charlestown are already separated geographically from the rest of Boston.

Old 09-12-2017, 11:20 AM

1,109 posts, read 853,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
The names are all wrong. The divisions need work, too.

Back Bay is called that because it used to be an actual bay. On the back side of the Shamut Peninsula. The front would be Boston Harbor. The water feature in that direction is just the Charles River. No bay and it's further back. The same hold true for what you call the North Bay. It's at least North, but there's no bay.

It's also not historically or geographically reasonable to group the old Shamut Peninsula neighborhoods under the name Back Bay. Why not call all the original Boston neighborhoods "Old Boston"? Group Back Bay with Fenway and Allston/Brighton as the lower Charles; South Boston could be actual South Boston along with Dorchester. HP, WR, Roslindale could be the Southwest. And then Group Mission Hill and Roxbury, although I'm not sure of the name? Not sure where Mattapan would fit best. East Boston and Charlestown are already separated geographically from the rest of Boston.
IMO for Boston Proper"

WR, ROS, HP, AND MAT= South Tier Boston.

JP, DOT, ROX, FEN, MH= Middle Tier

SOUTHIE, SE, BB, BH, DTX, CHINATOWN= Downtown Tier

NE, WE, CTOWN, EB, and (due to the ease of transit) A/B= North Tier

Alternatively id place A/B in Downtown and BH in North Tier.

Old 09-14-2017, 03:38 PM

1,671 posts, read 1,738,691 times
Quote:
i was thinking of putting w.r. in front; does dedham fit there as well ?
No, I think there's a distinct difference in vibe between West Roxbury, Dedham, (and maybe Norwood and Needham) and Allston/Brighton.

Brookline is a bit of a special case. North Brookline (i.e., the more urban areas near Brookline Village and Coolidge Corner) definitely feels closer to Allston and Brighton, whereas South Brookline (i.e., the areas near the VFW Parkway) feel more like Dedham and West Roxbury.

If anything, Watertown and Newton would fit in with the "front" crowd more than West Roxbury, imo.

Quote:
i can see arlington, chelsea, revere in north; belmont just feels too far out-of-mind and geographically.
Eh. We can agree to disagree, but I still think there's a different vibe to the northern areas east of I-93 as opposed to west of I-93. Arlington and Revere just don't belong in the same "division" in my experience..

Quote:
somerville and charlestown are def link up because of sully sq.
Well sure the two places meet at Sullivan Square, but walking up Broadway from Sullivan is A LOT different than walking up Bunker Hill.

With Broadway looking a lot more like Arlington.
And Bunker Hill looking a lot more like Chelsea.

Old 09-14-2017, 04:19 PM

Quote:
No, I think there's a distinct difference in vibe between West Roxbury, Dedham, (and maybe Norwood and Needham) and Allston/Brighton.

Brookline is a bit of a special case. North Brookline (i.e., the more urban areas near Brookline Village and Coolidge Corner) definitely feels closer to Allston and Brighton, whereas South Brookline (i.e., the areas near the VFW Parkway) feel more like Dedham and West Roxbury.
If anything, Watertown and Newton would fit in with the "front" crowd more than West Roxbury, imo.
i have to wait to rep you again; maybe instead of brookline/newton we should use chesnut hill ?
Quote:

Eh. We can agree to disagree, but I still think there's a different vibe to the northern areas east of I-93 as opposed to west of I-93. Arlington and Revere just don't belong in the same "division" in my experience..

Well sure the two places meet at Sullivan Square, but walking up Broadway from Sullivan is A LOT different than walking up Bunker Hill.

With Broadway looking a lot more like Arlington.
And Bunker Hill looking a lot more like Chelsea.
i see the similarities you showed. but oddly enuff, the stores in the somerville street-view has an italian barber next to a haitian bakery next to a brazilian money transfer place next to a dominican check cashing place (not pictured: across the street from a public housing complex -- well, by across the street, i mean down the street then down another street.); and the charlestown street-view has a dominican restaurant next to an american and spanish market across the street from a public housing complex.

Last edited by stanley-88888888; 09-14-2017 at 04:29 PM..

Old 05-19-2018, 03:45 PM

this seems to be a pretty clever map:
https://www.ilostmydog.com/products/...rhood-type-map

Old 05-20-2018, 01:29 PM

1,323 posts, read 675,891 times
Wouldn't "Front Bay" or just the waterfront have to be the Northend, Government Center, Financial district and DTX?

The Back Bay is named as such because it's in the back.

Some of the South Bay would just have to be referred to has inland - West Roxbury, Roslindale, Hyde Park, JP

Alston & Brighton can just be the other side of Brookline.

Old 07-12-2018, 05:05 PM

i think target stole at least part of my idea for a consolidated central:
https://www.boston.com/culture/fashi...-lot-of-errors

Old 07-13-2018, 07:06 AM

1,671 posts, read 1,738,691 times
Quote:
i think target stole at least part of my idea for a consolidated central:
https://www.boston.com/culture/fashi...-lot-of-errors
It’s kind of funny seeing the “central” on the t-shirt, since no one would really refer to the area that way. It makes sense, however, because writing “North End”, “West End”, “Beacon Hill”, “Downtown Crossing”, and “Chinatown” in that small area would make the shirt pretty cluttered.

What really shocks me about the Target t-shirt is the complete erasure of Allston. I mean it’s not like above where the neighborhood is too small to write over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston