U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-30-2017, 02:27 PM
 
3 posts, read 1,919 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
I am considering relocating from Long Island, NY to Massachusetts. I absolutely love Boston whenever I visit! My only dilemma is where to relocate to. I love Boston, but I also love the beach and water activities (SUP, kayak, jetskis, etc.). It seems a lot of the beaches around the Boston area are comparable to beaches on the North Shore of LI (hard sand, rocky, etc.), and also not sure if the water is safe to swim in being in an urban environment? I am looking for beaches similar to fire island, with soft sand and waves. I have not yet visited the cape, would this be the only place for beaches like that? We also have beaches on LI where you can drive your 4x4 on, I am wondering where would the best beaches in MA be for that? I heard Race Point Beach in Provincetown, looking for your opinions! I would also hope to relocate to an area with nice shops, restaurants, and young people. I know I am asking for a lot! So to sum this up, what would be the best coastal community with nice beaches, things to do, and not too far from Boston? Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-30-2017, 02:40 PM
 
Location: North of Boston
2,939 posts, read 4,919,404 times
Reputation: 2543
It really depends on where you will be working and what your budget is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2017, 02:53 PM
 
599 posts, read 383,297 times
Reputation: 735
The watersports you mentioned - I bet you'd find more room to do those up in NH or Maine. I'm not sure you'll find a lot of it within the 128 belt, but I could be wrong. Maybe down the cape or in one of the inland lakes in central MA.

The Atlantic is also cold as ice up here pretty much all year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2017, 02:56 PM
 
3 posts, read 1,919 times
Reputation: 10
I am a nurse, so I will be working in a hospital. Hoping for nothing more than 400k, although I am not sure if now I am asking for too much! It seems like property tax in MA is cheaper than LI, but I'm sure there are parts that get pricy as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2017, 07:50 PM
 
Location: Chibostoncaliseattle
1,605 posts, read 736,197 times
Reputation: 1393
There are a lot of nice sand beaches in MA- They come and go as you work up and down the North/South Shore of Boston. To get those beaches, and live in a coastal town, all with close proximity to Boston and around $400k is going to be impossible unless you want to live in Revere (don't live in Revere).

If you're willing to extend your proximity to 30-40 miles, I think you'll be in much better shape. That said, some towns to consider that fit your criteria and budget:
-Ipswich, MA (Cranes Beach) (($$))
-Newburyport, MA (Plum Island) (($$$))
-Scituate, MA (Peggotty Beach) (($$))
-Beverly, MA (West Beach) ($$)
-Swampscott, MA (Fishermans Beach) ($$$)

$400k is going to be a stretch anywhere in Eastern Mass, but coming from LI, I know that the prices certainly wont surprise you. If budget wasn't a consideration, I'd include Duxbury, Hingham, Manchester-by-the-Sea. To be completely transparent, none of these beaches will compare to the Cape with the exception of Cranes. The Cape and the Islands have some of the nicest beaches in the continental US.

Last edited by mwj119; 08-30-2017 at 08:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2017, 02:29 AM
 
Location: Behind You!
1,949 posts, read 3,322,886 times
Reputation: 2663
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
The Cape and the Islands have some of the nicest beaches in the continental US.
Coast Guard has made top 10 a couple times but that's a pretty subjective statement. Are their some really nice ones? Sure. Suggesting that the cape is overrun with a handful of the best in the CONUS. c'mon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2017, 05:33 AM
 
466 posts, read 344,964 times
Reputation: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
There are a lot of nice sand beaches in MA- They come and go as you work up and down the North/South Shore of Boston. To get those beaches, and live in a coastal town, all with close proximity to Boston and around $400k is going to be impossible unless you want to live in Revere (don't live in Revere).

If you're willing to extend your proximity to 30-40 miles, I think you'll be in much better shape. That said, some towns to consider that fit your criteria and budget:
-Ipswich, MA (Cranes Beach) (($$))
-Newburyport, MA (Plum Island) (($$$))
-Scituate, MA (Peggotty Beach) (($$))
-Beverly, MA (West Beach) ($$)
-Swampscott, MA (Fishermans Beach) ($$$)

$400k is going to be a stretch anywhere in Eastern Mass, but coming from LI, I know that the prices certainly wont surprise you. If budget wasn't a consideration, I'd include Duxbury, Hingham, Manchester-by-the-Sea. To be completely transparent, none of these beaches will compare to the Cape with the exception of Cranes. The Cape and the Islands have some of the nicest beaches in the continental US.
West Beach is a private beach restricted to residents of Beverly Farms and Prides Crossing ($$$$). If you are a non-resident of those areas, you could apply for a sticker. Last I heard, the waiting list was around 10 years.

Crane is also a private beach, though non-residents can pay the daily fee to park.

There are other beaches in both Beverly and Ipswich that are open to the public. In fact, for the recreational activities the OP mentioned (with the exception of jetskis), it is better to stick with calm waters in coves or inlets or nearby ponds and rivers.

My advice for the OP is to narrow down a job first. MA has plenty of shoreline to explore. $400K is not going to get you much, you may have to be open to a condo. On the North Shore, you can stick with the shore towns north of Swampscott, budget permitting. On the South Shore, Weymouth and Plymouth may work. Admittedly, I do not know the South Shore as well as the NS.

The larger beaches on the North Shore are Revere and Nahant. Both offer waves and soft sand. No beach on the North Shore allows 4X4 access that I am aware of. The only beaches I know that allow this are on the South Shore (Duxbury and the Cape).

Last edited by alidmc; 08-31-2017 at 05:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2017, 07:12 AM
 
Location: Chibostoncaliseattle
1,605 posts, read 736,197 times
Reputation: 1393
Quote:
Originally Posted by alidmc View Post
West Beach is a private beach restricted to residents of Beverly Farms and Prides Crossing ($$$$). If you are a non-resident of those areas, you could apply for a sticker. Last I heard, the waiting list was around 10 years.

Crane is also a private beach, though non-residents can pay the daily fee to park.

There are other beaches in both Beverly and Ipswich that are open to the public. In fact, for the recreational activities the OP mentioned (with the exception of jetskis), it is better to stick with calm waters in coves or inlets or nearby ponds and rivers.

My advice for the OP is to narrow down a job first. MA has plenty of shoreline to explore. $400K is not going to get you much, you may have to be open to a condo. On the North Shore, you can stick with the shore towns north of Swampscott, budget permitting. On the South Shore, Weymouth and Plymouth may work. Admittedly, I do not know the South Shore as well as the NS.

The larger beaches on the North Shore are Revere and Nahant. Both offer waves and soft sand. No beach on the North Shore allows 4X4 access that I am aware of. The only beaches I know that allow this are on the South Shore (Duxbury and the Cape).
The point is that the OP is looking to relocate to one of these areas. So with the exception of West Beach, I think the post stands. E.g. The Op can move to Ipswich, and gain access to the beaches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2017, 07:45 AM
 
3 posts, read 1,919 times
Reputation: 10
Wow, thank you so much for all of the helpful info. I know 400k doesn't get much on LI, was hoping it could get me a little further in MA, but I could be content with a decent condo. I'm curious, if I moved to an area like Duxbury I believe it is about an hour drive to Boston, but is there any type of railroad that could get me to Boston as well? LI has the LIRR which can get you from central LI directly into Penn Station in about 1 hour 20 mins. Makes it a lot easier than driving through city traffic. Probably a stupid question, but does the MA railroad (or whatever your nickname for it is ) extend all the way down to the cape? Sorry for all the questions, but you are all very helpful
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2017, 07:59 AM
 
6,977 posts, read 6,693,614 times
Reputation: 4676
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1119 View Post
Wow, thank you so much for all of the helpful info. I know 400k doesn't get much on LI, was hoping it could get me a little further in MA, but I could be content with a decent condo. I'm curious, if I moved to an area like Duxbury I believe it is about an hour drive to Boston, but is there any type of railroad that could get me to Boston as well? LI has the LIRR which can get you from central LI directly into Penn Station in about 1 hour 20 mins. Makes it a lot easier than driving through city traffic. Probably a stupid question, but does the MA railroad (or whatever your nickname for it is ) extend all the way down to the cape? Sorry for all the questions, but you are all very helpful
The MBTA Commuter Rail goes to Kingston, which borders Duxbury. Where in the city would you be working, and what hours?

https://t.mbta.com/schedules/CR-Kingston/timetable

I echo that Duxbury Beach is the only one I'm aware of that allows 4X4s. It's not a bad beach either, although not on the level of Horseneck, the Cape or the nicer RI beaches. Another nice beach with decent sand is Humarock in Scituate, but like most S Shore beaches it gets very small at high tide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top