U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 11:58 AM

1,068 posts, read 429,590 times

Advertisements

I'm really glad that everyone is comfortable with dogging the Italian-Irish these days. I mean to the point where people blatantly ask me If I'm in the mob. Or if I'm going to the North end whenever I say I'm going to dinner after work, or did I watch the Soprano's, or does my dad stomp that wine that you just generously gifted me with his feet.....etc......
But if you use BLACK as a descriptor these days you are subject to death by firing squad.
I'm glad that everyone has passed this whole _____ lives matter thing.

Old 09-06-2017, 01:13 PM

3,268 posts, read 2,192,340 times
Right and as witnessed in this thread it's fine for people to say boston Irish people are white trash drunks living in the southie projects...but make a joke about black people eating watermelon or chicken ribs and you are taken for being in the kkk. It really is quite the double standard.

Old 09-06-2017, 01:34 PM

7,852 posts, read 6,805,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
Right and as witnessed in this thread it's fine for people to say boston Irish people are white trash drunks living in the southie projects...but make a joke about black people eating watermelon or chicken ribs and you are taken for being in the kkk. It really is quite the double standard.
I notice this quite a lot among my friends and acquaintances as well. You can see a lot of condescension in their attitude. It seems to be an expression of a (perhaps unconscious) assumption that white people should naturally be held to higher standards because they can handle it. Thus they should be shamed when they don't match up. Minorities however simply cannot be expected to perform in the same way the whites do. Thus making fun of them is sort of akin to making fun of the mentally challenged.

^Note, this is not me saying this. This just seems to be the unspoken, maybe even unrealized concept behind why it's so common.

Old 09-06-2017, 01:42 PM

Thats true...it is almost like making fun of minority groups is equivalent to making fun of handicap people or something. However it's fine for them to make fun of each even call each other derogatory names.

It is becoming sort of offensive to me quite honestly that Irish people in boston all seem to be assumed as drunks living in southie projects. I cant imagine people really think this.

Old 09-06-2017, 01:45 PM

7,852 posts, read 6,805,356 times
Quote:

It is becoming sort of offensive to me quite honestly that Irish people in boston all seem to be assumed as drunks living in southie projects. I cant imagine people really think this.
Correct, it's a bit silly. Especially nowadays. But these people will grasp at anything to further their self-righteousness. I daresay we see that quite a lot on this forum too.

Old 09-06-2017, 01:55 PM

340 posts, read 167,482 times
Quote:
Well, it's said that if not for double standards, some liberals wouldn't have any standards at all.

Old 09-06-2017, 01:55 PM

My grandparents did move here from Ireland and worked hard and put 4 kids through college. They went on to be nurses and lawyers. Not bragging but they've all done well and so have the grandkids...no one ended up living in the southie projects! Or in AA

Old 09-07-2017, 05:37 AM

1,068 posts, read 429,590 times
Yes,

My parents, as well as every other person in my family is not from this country. My dad barely spoke English. I grew up getting used to the derogatory name calling. The people poking fun at my lunches (which are now considered the whole foods YUP standard) and we just smiled and said have a good day. My dad as well as uncles managed to start their own businesses and do fairly well for themselves and their families despite all the sh1t they put up with. We also saw the same from other immigrant families in our neighborhood, weather it was Vietnam, Greece, Lebanon, China... People just buckled down and did what they had to do.
I was astounded to see the double standards in race dynamics here. When people were telling me that it was so taboo to use any words even as descriptions when it came to the AA community, but in the same breath they were knocking another race or creed.
Growing up I really didn't identify as white, well because I was alien to the typical Caucasian American. We mostly stuck with other foreign families because these "white, Liberal" families really didn't wan't to associate.

Old 09-07-2017, 06:15 AM

684 posts, read 531,361 times
Quote:

Never have I used the term white trash or drunks, but apparently thats in your head and what you think of Boston Irish.

Old 09-07-2017, 09:17 AM

3,961 posts, read 1,935,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
I'm really glad that everyone is comfortable with dogging the Italian-Irish these days. I mean to the point where people blatantly ask me If I'm in the mob. Or if I'm going to the North end whenever I say I'm going to dinner after work, or did I watch the Soprano's, or does my dad stomp that wine that you just generously gifted me with his feet.....etc......
But if you use BLACK as a descriptor these days you are subject to death by firing squad.
I'm glad that everyone has passed this whole _____ lives matter thing.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I notice this quite a lot among my friends and acquaintances as well. You can see a lot of condescension in their attitude. It seems to be an expression of a (perhaps unconscious) assumption that white people should naturally be held to higher standards because they can handle it. Thus they should be shamed when they don't match up. Minorities however simply cannot be expected to perform in the same way the whites do. Thus making fun of them is sort of akin to making fun of the mentally challenged.

^Note, this is not me saying this. This just seems to be the unspoken, maybe even unrealized concept behind why it's so common.
Quote:
Thats true...it is almost like making fun of minority groups is equivalent to making fun of handicap people or something. However it's fine for them to make fun of each even call each other derogatory names.

white people have already won. it stings a lot less to be rude to the more powerful players in our society; however to those living in the beautiful struggle, it complicates life tremendously. lebron james said after someone n-bombed his house that he is fine because he is able to enjoy his life and family and everything that he can provide for them; and they will go back to their shabby lives struggling with hating on someone for no reason.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
Yes,

My parents, as well as every other person in my family is not from this country. My dad barely spoke English. I grew up getting used to the derogatory name calling. The people poking fun at my lunches (which are now considered the whole foods YUP standard) and we just smiled and said have a good day. My dad as well as uncles managed to start their own businesses and do fairly well for themselves and their families despite all the sh1t they put up with. We also saw the same from other immigrant families in our neighborhood, weather it was Vietnam, Greece, Lebanon, China... People just buckled down and did what they had to do.
I was astounded to see the double standards in race dynamics here. When people were telling me that it was so taboo to use any words even as descriptions when it came to the AA community, but in the same breath they were knocking another race or creed.
Growing up I really didn't identify as white, well because I was alien to the typical Caucasian American. We mostly stuck with other foreign families because these "white, Liberal" families really didn't wan't to associate.
theres several examples of black people who work hard and persevere with success; but minorities tend to have a larger un-success rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or