U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 11:20 AM

2,545 posts, read 4,853,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Im in another city, this is a thread about Boston's rep in other cities know right? Would not this make you regressive or a 'snowflake' as the right says? Im just telling you what people have told me. I really didn't come down here to talk about Boston. This is textbook kneejerk reaction to things you dont want to her.. Ignore the substance of what I'm saying and attack the messenger. This is why Boston lags in race relations Im just telling you what I have heard face to face from people of various races, ages, genders and places of origin.

You already knew when you clicked this thread this would come up. I love Boston but its full of people such as yourself which leave people in other parts of the country asking 'why is Boston like that? This is the blemish on the city. Period point blank. The mayor agrees, the DOJ agrees, the black community agrees, athletes agree, people in other cities agree. Only white Massachusetts natives disagree. You're outnumbered 4.9 million to 315 million. So you can be as salty as you wanna be, the real question is can you face the truth of our reputation?

I'm well aware Boston is not perfect when it comes to racial issues, and I'm open to dialogue. However, I don't think pointing fingers and calling people racist is the way to go about it. It's not going to bring people together. It's only going to deepen the divide.

Furthermore, it's tough to take the racial views of someone who claimed we're racist because 'Robert Kraft supports Donald Trump' seriously.

Quote:
In general white people here will say it's sensationalist and outdated.

Black people will say it's pretty racist but prolly overblown. More racist than most big cities.

Save you some time. I mean racist headlines pop up every other day about BOSTON IN BOSTON..

Robert Kraft supporting Trump

The list goes on and on... but don't worry black ppl are liars and are making up crazy stories.

Old 09-01-2017, 11:47 AM

684 posts, read 531,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Strangely enough, they seem to get along better in the South. Perhaps because they have a longer history of living together.
Having lived in both places, I can attest to that.

Old 09-01-2017, 12:19 PM

1,106 posts, read 852,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
I'm well aware Boston is not perfect when it comes to racial issues, and I'm open to dialogue. However, I don't think pointing fingers and calling people racist is the way to go about it. It's not going to bring people together. It's only going to deepen the divide.

Furthermore, it's tough to take the racial views of someone who claimed we're racist because 'Robert Kraft supports Donald Trump' seriously.
As I said in an earlier post this is a prime example Boston is like "oh you're black so we're doubting you."

It's easy to deflect and accuse me of being radical of dovisive when I'm one of maybe a handful of regular black commentators here. Very easy.

Explain to me how I was deepening the divide? By answering the question? or just by having a different perspective? I'm confused, honestly I am.

Old 09-01-2017, 12:25 PM

32,716 posts, read 22,656,169 times
Quote:
As I said in an earlier post this is a prime example Boston is like "oh you're black so we're doubting you."

It's easy to deflect and accuse me of being radical of dovisive when I'm one of maybe a handful of regular black commentators here. Very easy.

Explain to me how I was deepening the divide? By answering the question? or just by having a different perspective? I'm confused, honestly I am.

For some reason, there is this notion that people should just shut up and be quiet when they see injustices and problems. That pointing them out actually creates the problems. They want to live in their safe zones and bubbles, and cling to the comfort that gives them. Anyone upsetting that bubble by out pointing issues, if those perceptions challenge the safe bubbles they live in, are the actual problems and causes, not the messengers.

It's the same type of mentality that is held by some people who actually blame Obama for CREATING racial division (which is of course insane) instead of (finally!) having a leader that acknowledged and addressed it. He, as President, challenged their perceptions so he was the "problem".

Old 09-01-2017, 12:54 PM

340 posts, read 167,772 times
Quote:

Seeing as a majority of your posts end up like this, it's not that hard to see your agenda. I don't recall many people doubting you've experienced racism or the fact that racism exists in Boston.

I'm not black or white, and I've experienced a good amount of racism in my life. Some of it from blacks, so not one race has the monopoly on racism. You might as well call racists your daddy, because they've gotten in your head. You're looking for racism now, and as the case for everything, if you're looking for it, you're going to find it. For you, the racists have won, because you can't enjoy a city like Boston, because it's just so racist.

Most chose to look past those difficulties and find another way. For every racist, there are thousands that are not and treat you right. Racists are sad, angry people, so why let their sad, angry lives effect yours. You are not going to change the way a racist thinks. You think making a fuss is going to change their minds or alter the way they act? You think shaming them is going to stop them from being racist? It's better to show them it doesn't bother you and that the majority of the people are on your side.

Insulting a whole city by calling them racists is not a way to get the friendly people on your side. There's that old joke. There's a weirdo in every room. If you look around and everyone is normal, then you're the weirdo.

Old 09-01-2017, 12:56 PM

6,977 posts, read 6,693,614 times
Quote:
Appreciate it timberline. I love Boston-im just honest and try to be objective. If anyone think I prodded these responses or came down to DC looking to make Boston look bad they couldn't be any further from the truth. It i literally because i am black that when people ask me where im from and I say I'm from Boston they look like..disturbed/troubled and usually tell me why its racist and they would never move there (hispanic friend living in Dc moved from Oklahoma) or they ask me is it as racist as they say it is. You all get the questions about the Departed and Red Sox, I dont.
Could part of the reason be just because you are now in D.C. (a city where blacks have achieved a higher status that just about anywhere else)? Is Boston SO much more racist than Chicago, Detroit, Baltimore, Buffalo, St. Louis, Seattle, etc. etc.? My instinct tells me no.

I spent some time in Nashville and there was definitely more integration there. Makes total sense, it's a newer more transient city where people don't have the same tendency to be entrenched in their traditional enclaves. And yes, in southern cities whites and blacks have had a longer time to adjust to each other. But compared to other older northern cities? Boston is definitely singled out.

Old 09-01-2017, 01:34 PM

5,680 posts, read 5,010,551 times
Boston is probably racially segregated city I've ever lived in.

Old 09-01-2017, 01:44 PM

3,268 posts, read 2,193,284 times
Great post life4orce.

bostonbornmassmade keeps saying he loves boston but also constantly says it is racist and is lagging behind other cities. Why would you love a place that as a black person you truly feel is racist? That's odd but I'm sure he has some grand reason.

Old 09-01-2017, 02:13 PM

2,545 posts, read 4,853,702 times
Quote:

Most people will be offended by being called a racist. Some will even be angered. I'm not suggesting you 'shut up and be quiet' in the face of racial injustices as timberline is for some reason suggesting. Just the opposite. Be as loud as you can. I'll even join you.

However, when you turn to me and call me a racist, I'm also going to speak out and say something. It offends me, it angers me, and it's not going to get me to engage in any sort of constructive dialogue.

Old 09-01-2017, 04:39 PM

182 posts, read 128,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Strangely enough, they seem to get along better in the South. Perhaps because they have a longer history of living together.
I lived and worked in the Cambridge area for 30 years (native to Mass) and spent 4 college years in N.C. I have heard that in the South, white people like the individual black person but dislike the race. In the North, the white man likes the race, but not so much the individual.
Unfortunately there is racism and prejudice everywhere. I do not think the city of Boston is any more racist than anywhere else. Which may not be saying much. It is very multicultural in the metro Boston area though which is pretty cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or