U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 11:03 PM

2,696 posts, read 1,715,900 times

Advertisements

So I've never actually been to Boston, but I've wanted to visit for a long time. I live in DC and Boston is not all that far.

In DC I've met lots of people who either lived in Boston or visited Boston. Unlike other cities.. everyone I talk to says the exact same thing about Boston:

1. Its hard to make friends because everyone is part of a cliche and not open to meeting new people
2. Lots of racism

Why does everyone I talk to say the exact same thing about Boston? This doesn't happen with any other city. Like to here from people who currently live in Boston.

Old 09-01-2017, 12:16 AM

5,760 posts, read 13,323,224 times
Not sure I'm buying this. If you're serious, and not just trying to bait us here, are you sure you don't just somehow tune out when people make other observations about Boston? I find it difficult to believe that no one ever says anything else about a place as active, complex, and varied as a major city.

Re question 1: Boston has a history of old neighborhoods where generations of the same families have lived over the years. The history has been that these families form close communities and aren't especially open to newcomers. That has faded within the city proper of Boston, as many of those old sections have gentrified, breaking up the old neighborhood communities.

This phenomenon may well still exist in some urban/urbanish old suburbs. I doubt that this is unique to Boston, though. There must be similar neighborhoods in most or all of the old cities in the Northeast and around the Great Lakes.

Re question 2: I don't know how to begin answering this one, without details on what people claimed they observed in Boston that gave them this impression.

Old 09-01-2017, 05:18 AM

1,068 posts, read 432,066 times
It's because of Matt Damon

Old 09-01-2017, 06:01 AM

1,107 posts, read 853,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
So I've never actually been to Boston, but I've wanted to visit for a long time. I live in DC and Boston is not all that far.

In DC I've met lots of people who either lived in Boston or visited Boston. Unlike other cities.. everyone I talk to says the exact same thing about Boston:

1. Its hard to make friends because everyone is part of a cliche and not open to meeting new people
2. Lots of racism

Why does everyone I talk to say the exact same thing about Boston? This doesn't happen with any other city. Like to here from people who currently live in Boston.
Just moved to DC 2 weeks ago. This is what EVERYONE says.

plus 3. the T sucks.

Compard to DC this is all HIGHLY accurate

Old 09-01-2017, 06:43 AM

684 posts, read 531,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post

2. Lots of racism

Lived in the greater Boston Area for 32 years out of my 33 on this planet. Heres my take.

1. This assessment tends to be somewhat accurate (with the exception of some college areas of the city). I grew up in and went to high school in Cambridge. After getting married, my wife and I purchased a home in a suburb roughly 20 miles south of the city. We lived there for 3 years and had a very hard time meeting young couples. There was generally no interest. People had their set friends and pretty much kept to themselves. Thats the typical New England insular mentality. Although we were both born and bred in MA, we still felt like outsiders just 20 miles outside of our hometown! I could only imagine it being tougher for someone coming from out of state..

2. Boston is about as racist as anywhere else in the country. But I think it gets that reputation from the busing days back in the 70s, where the mayor at the time tried to integrate the schools by busing in black kids from other neighborhoods to go to school in predominately white Irish neighborhoods. Lets just say the white people weren't exactly "thrilled" about the idea. And things got out of hand. Google it.

Old 09-01-2017, 07:36 AM

340 posts, read 167,954 times
Yes, there's lots of racism everywhere. Please don't visit, my group of friends aren't looking for new members.

Old 09-01-2017, 07:38 AM

13,328 posts, read 7,290,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
It's because of Matt Damon

LOL! And the other tool, Ben Affleck. My view of Boston, is a very liberal/progressive kind of snooty place, but I haven't spent much time there so I could be totally wrong.

Old 09-01-2017, 07:42 AM

6,978 posts, read 6,696,703 times
I travel and tell people I'm from Boston, they ask me about the Red Sox.

Or ask if it's really like "Departed"...

Old 09-01-2017, 07:44 AM

2,770 posts, read 1,572,824 times
I think you mean "clique" rather than "cliche."

It's funny, though -- it's very true in some instances and not as much in others. I saw that much more when I was in law school eons ago and lived in Brookline. I don't see it so much at all living here a second time and being in Newton. The two towns are right next to each other, and I don't really have an explanation for the difference in experience.

Yet, this is somewhat modified by the fact that there are so many students here, and usually they're new to the area and up for new friends.

The racism aspect is complicated, too. It's definitely here, and black people would be able to talk about their experiences with it. I don't have a good explanation for exactly why that is the case, either. You also see a good bit of the entrenched liberal style racism, which is way more nuanced than the garden variety.

Old 09-01-2017, 09:07 AM

1,107 posts, read 853,982 times
Theres like 8 Black people from Boston besides me at my job, and theyre all like 'Best thing ive ever done.'

A black woman in DC said she used to work in Boston and when white people disrespected her she said i not from Boston, Im from Baltimore. She said the black in Boston were so humble, and the whites were arrogant. She said that by moving to DC "you will see what it means to be free"... just so you all know how bad it actually is. If your white your perception is almost wholly inaccurate because of how segregated Boston. You rarely interact with native Black Bostonians or native black Mass residents

One white coworker form originally Arizona said she found that individual Bostonians were 'really racist'

One girl I went to school with who is originally form Colorado and now works in Boston said she 'cant find mixed race parties/groups in Boston' unless she 'goes to the colleges' and she told her family in Denver there were 'areas of the city where no white people live' and she 'stands out'

One black coworker who moved from Boston last year said "its not like Boston with he institutional racism, its not like oh you're black so I'm doubting you."

Even two white coworkers said Boston was 'oppressive and the segregation and change f quality of life in the city form black to white was 'drastic'

You can 'not buy it' all you want. Doesn't change a thing. But please, feel free to beat around the bush and rationalize, all it means is you dont want better for the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or