U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 05:14 PM

24 posts, read 16,195 times

Advertisements

Could you explain? Not an Eastcoaster here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2017, 05:31 PM

2,769 posts, read 2,212,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie97 View Post
Could you explain? Not an Eastcoaster here
The schedule on the weekends is abysmal and the ride is expensive.

Old 09-06-2017, 07:44 AM

8,722 posts, read 8,934,157 times
Quote:
The ride doesn't seem bad, but I'm just concerned about how accessible Boston will be from Nashua. If I could live in Boston I would, but I would rather be closer to my job then have to commute.

You have 2, maybe 3 routes in from the north. You'll head down Rt3 and then from there can take 95 to Rt 2, 93 or 1 depending on where you are going and traffic. Right now the wife and I are big on catching shows in the theater district so we usually drive in earlyt for dinner as well. I've never had a problem driving in and finding parking in a local garage. Sure, it will cost you, but I consider it so convienent in the event we need to leave early due to one of the rugrats getting sick or something like that. Don't really drink anymore these days, so driving in is never an issue for me

Old 09-06-2017, 10:21 AM

1,334 posts, read 943,958 times
1) Live in Nashua/NH to save on income tax (NH=0%; MA=5.15%) and minimize fuel/maintenance costs on your vehicle.

2) I frequently commute from Hollis (~10 minutes west of Nashua) to Cambridge/Boston for business. During non-peak hours it takes 45-60 minutes. My preferred option is to make the 40-45 minute driving to Alewife and hop on the redline train (assuming the garage isn't full). During peak hours you're looking at 70+ minutes depending on exact location.

Despite others on this forum making it sound like a Himalayan expedition, an off hours or weekend drive from Nashua to Boston is pretty damn easy. If you want a specifics on Nashua, feel free to message me - I know the area well.

Old 09-07-2017, 08:10 PM

24 posts, read 16,195 times
Would you agree that taking a commuter train into Boston is not good? Also, do you like living in Nashua?

Last edited by Wolfie97; 09-07-2017 at 08:30 PM..

Old 09-07-2017, 09:23 PM

604 posts, read 385,102 times
Quote:
Would you agree that taking a commuter train into Boston is not good? Also, do you like living in Nashua?
The Commuter Rail schedule is set up for monday-friday commuters. The Commuter Rail is not convenient on the weekends due to the reduced schedule. There is no Commuter Rail really near Nashua, so you're going to have to drive either way. Rather than paying an expensive outer-zone fare to take the Commuter Rail from a far out station (which will probably be about an hour ride), you might as well drive all the way into Boston on the weekend and park there. It's only about an hour drive. You should be able to get a parking spot for $10-15 on the weekends. The Red Line (Alewife Station) subway, though, is a good option if you would rather not drive the last 5-10 miles. The subway is much more frequent (trains every 10 mins or so).

Nashua itself does have some nightlife, etc as well if that's something you're looking for here. And you'll certainly be able to visit boston. But Nashua wouldn't be considered a suburb of Boston by any means, and people there probably don't spend all that much time in Boston.

Old 09-28-2017, 02:36 PM

19 posts, read 13,977 times
Yeah, there's definitely a big difference between NH and MA, although Nashua's lifestyle is more similar to that of Massachusetts because of the suburban feel (those who live north of Nashua don't spend too much time south of the border). However, from Nashua, it's not too long of a drive until you hit the woods and the mountains. NH is a beautiful state and I grew up there.

Old 09-28-2017, 11:49 PM

1,925 posts, read 1,071,445 times
There are lots of people who live in Nashua or other parts of southern NH and commute to places like Burlington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or