U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 12:03 AM

2,025 posts, read 5,000,483 times

Advertisements

Don't bother going out of town - apple picking, Plymouth were suggested but it'd be too cumbersome without a car.

Museums are world class if you are into fine arts - but given the steep admissions fee, you'd feel obligated to spend a good afternoon in it to get your money 's worth.

Wander around the city for an afternoon. The Fanuil Hall area is always lively with street performers and North End is a few blocks away with the Rose Kennedy Greenway in between that makes it a nice scroll. Walk around the Public Garden, Newbury St and Beacon Hill also to get a flavor of the city.

Join a walking tour - Boston by Foot, for example, or Google other ones. Some are free, some are tip based. They usually last 2-3 hrs and provide a deeper perspective.

Checkout Groupons for deals on a sailboat ride or short cruise. I got tix for Blue Man group cheap a few yrs ago - it's popular here and pretty fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2018, 02:43 AM

2,050 posts, read 3,463,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyk72 View Post
Don't bother going out of town - apple picking, Plymouth were suggested but it'd be too cumbersome without a car.

Museums are world class if you are into fine arts - but given the steep admissions fee, you'd feel obligated to spend a good afternoon in it to get your money 's worth.

Wander around the city for an afternoon. The Fanuil Hall area is always lively with street performers and North End is a few blocks away with the Rose Kennedy Greenway in between that makes it a nice scroll. Walk around the Public Garden, Newbury St and Beacon Hill also to get a flavor of the city.

Join a walking tour - Boston by Foot, for example, or Google other ones. Some are free, some are tip based. They usually last 2-3 hrs and provide a deeper perspective.

Checkout Groupons for deals on a sailboat ride or short cruise. I got tix for Blue Man group cheap a few yrs ago - it's popular here and pretty fun.
This thread was started long ago..

And for Blue Man Group and Shear Madness, as well as some other small theatres, the Bostix booths in Copley Square and Faneuil Hall have half-price tix for same day shows, (plus service fee). I think one can order thru their site in recent years versus showing up in person.

As far as world-class museums, I encountered a crusty old man from the Bay Area years ago who was not impressed with the Isabelle Stewart Gardner museum (except for second floor or something like that!)...hmmm...I know little about art, so can't comment on his opinion.

Old 04-11-2018, 09:57 AM

1,691 posts, read 3,213,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
As far as world-class museums, I encountered a crusty old man from the Bay Area years ago who was not impressed with the Isabelle Stewart Gardner museum (except for second floor or something like that!)...hmmm...I know little about art, so can't comment on his opinion.
The Gardner is certainly debatable. It's one person's idiosynchratic collection and she relied on an adviser (tastemaker Bernard Berenson) in deciding what artworks to acquire and how much to pay for them. Mrs. Gardner also left very strict rules governing the lighting, mounting and organization of pictures. The museum trustees had to do some fancy footwork to sidestep the restrictions in order to build the new wing. Conversely, it seems fair to say that the Bay Area has no equivalent of the scope and quality of the Boston MFA.

Old 04-11-2018, 11:46 AM

2,771 posts, read 1,575,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mev View Post
We will be going to Boston the last week of June 2018. Me, hubby and two teen daughters. Where should we stay? Looking for a suite hotel or perhaps family style accommodations in quiet but central (no car) area.
You might want to post your query as a new thread -- once these threads get old, people tend not to look at them, or people answer specifically the original query, which might not be helpful to you.

Cambridge is a great area to stay in, as is the Marriott Long Wharf, which is by the harbor and convenient to sightseeing cruises, the aquarium, Faneuil Hall, North End, etc. The Copley area is also very nice and convenient to lots of things. Most of those, though, are "regular" hotels -- they'd have suites, but I'd expect them to be quite expensive. There is a Residence Inn near Fenway, which is a decent location (and a great one if your plans include seeing the Red Sox).

If you're looking for something more budget friendly, you could look in Brookline or Newton, which are accessible by T, but obviously further out. They would be cheaper than hotels in Cambridge and Boston. There's Holiday Inn near Coolidge Corner, but it's only a so-so hotel. It's right at the T, though. And there are a couple of hotels in Newton which are nice, but are definitely less convenient than being right in the center of things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or