U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 09-11-2017, 03:49 PM
 
183 posts, read 129,000 times
Reputation: 324

Advertisements

I would stay at the airport too. Too stressful to tour a new city, traffic, people, worrying about getting back. Yes, the T is right there but everything is going to take longer than you think, just exiting the plane to ground level could take 15 minutes. Just relax at the airport.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-12-2017, 07:31 AM
 
Location: Boston
7,347 posts, read 15,324,434 times
Reputation: 8626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
Traffic heading to Logan can be absolutely brutal during rush hour. It's just not worth it.
Even when it's terrible, it's not THAT long. It just isn't. I work downtown and Uber to the airport fairly regularly during rush hour. With no traffic it's like 10 minutes. Normally about 15, and on a REALLY bad day, 30 minutes from where I am (near North Station). And you have a smart phone, you can always check what the approximate driving time including traffic is going to be and account for that. Worst case, if it's catastrophic traffic (like the tunnels are all jammed), you can hop on the Blue Line and back at the airport in 30 minutes or less (including the time it takes from the station to the terminal on the Shuttle). So under no circumstances should it take anyone more than 30 minutes to get to Logan from central Boston.

I guess it's just depends on traveler personalities. The OP's window wouldn't stress me out at all because of the options (you're not tied to the car) for getting to/from the airport. I'm a big fan of the quick stopover. I had a five hour layover in Zurich a few months ago and took the train to town and don't regret it for a second. The OP has more time and the airport trip is similar (possibly shorter). But I get it, some people really don't like taking changes, and that's understandable.

Regardless of the OP's personality, the key advice is to pay attention to the details. His arriving flight needs to be on-time, the deplaning process can't take too long, and the time it takes to get over to Terminal E and check in again (I'm assuming he has to do that because Norwegian and Spirit are at different terminals and don't have an alliance) is important to monitor. If after he's all checked in at Terminal E, he still has 4 hours or so to kill, then he has plenty of time.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2017, 08:13 AM
 
Location: Boston, MA
7,904 posts, read 6,835,782 times
Reputation: 6645
Assuming OP arrives exactly at 3:42 and leaves exactly at 9:20, that's just about 5 hours and 40 minutes. But-

- it will be 10 minutes before you actually leave the plane.
- It is maybe another 10 minutes to get out of the airport.
- It takes at least 20 minutes to get downtown, including return that's 40 minutes. This could easily be longer, factoring in wait times for shuttle/T/Uber/whatever.
^ Already at least 1 hour you don't really have.

- Arrive 90 minutes prior to departure. Now that's at least 2.5 hours, maybe 3 hours.

So we are really talking about what to do in roughly 2.5 hours. I guess you could go to Faneuil Hall and walk to the North End and eat something and then go back to the airport.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2017, 02:22 PM
 
Location: Camberville
11,405 posts, read 16,018,854 times
Reputation: 18070
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Assuming OP arrives exactly at 3:42 and leaves exactly at 9:20, that's just about 5 hours and 40 minutes. But-

- it will be 10 minutes before you actually leave the plane.
- It is maybe another 10 minutes to get out of the airport.
- It takes at least 20 minutes to get downtown, including return that's 40 minutes. This could easily be longer, factoring in wait times for shuttle/T/Uber/whatever.
^ Already at least 1 hour you don't really have.

- Arrive 90 minutes prior to departure. Now that's at least 2.5 hours, maybe 3 hours.

So we are really talking about what to do in roughly 2.5 hours. I guess you could go to Faneuil Hall and walk to the North End and eat something and then go back to the airport.
For an international flight, he should plan to arrive at least 2 hours prior to departure, not 90. That's cutting it down to 2 hours.

Personally, it would be too much stress to try to leave, especially for something like Quincy Market which is fairly unremarkable and touristy (it's basically an Ann Taylor and Victoria Secret mixed with a few Boston tchatcke shops in an interesting setting). Viewing the Holocaust Memorial, strolling through Quincy Market/Fanueil Hall, and grabbing a pastry in the North End might be doable in that time frame, but again, personally, it's cutting it too close for me.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2017, 02:39 PM
 
5,680 posts, read 5,021,198 times
Reputation: 9884
Will you be checking luggage? if so, better check how early (and late) Norweigan allows you to check it in.

If not, you probably have enough time for a very quick trip into the city, but do keep an eye on the clock. Luckily, Logan is a lot closer to the city proper than many other airports.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2017, 03:09 PM
 
Location: Boston, MA
7,904 posts, read 6,835,782 times
Reputation: 6645
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
For an international flight, he should plan to arrive at least 2 hours prior to departure, not 90. That's cutting it down to 2 hours.

Personally, it would be too much stress to try to leave, especially for something like Quincy Market which is fairly unremarkable and touristy (it's basically an Ann Taylor and Victoria Secret mixed with a few Boston tchatcke shops in an interesting setting). Viewing the Holocaust Memorial, strolling through Quincy Market/Fanueil Hall, and grabbing a pastry in the North End might be doable in that time frame, but again, personally, it's cutting it too close for me.
I wouldn't do it either. Plan a weekend later to visit Boston if you really want to get anything from it.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2017, 05:06 PM
 
7,031 posts, read 6,724,026 times
Reputation: 4709
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
For an international flight, he should plan to arrive at least 2 hours prior to departure, not 90. That's cutting it down to 2 hours.

If you're all checked in then I don't really think 2 hours is necessary. All you have to do is clear TSA, which has gotten a lot speedier and more efficient over the years. I'd say don't cut it any closer than that, but 90 minutes ahead you should be fine.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2017, 08:57 PM
 
Location: Boston
7,347 posts, read 15,324,434 times
Reputation: 8626
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
If you're all checked in then I don't really think 2 hours is necessary. All you have to do is clear TSA, which has gotten a lot speedier and more efficient over the years. I'd say don't cut it any closer than that, but 90 minutes ahead you should be fine.
This.

I don't think the OP will be checked straight through because Spirit and Norwegian don't have any sort of agreements in place. But if the OP is only traveling with carry ons, they can check in online 24 hours ahead and have their boarding pass in hand without going to the counter, thus negating the need to be 2-3 hours early. They can just go right to security (which they're going to have to do anyway since they're going from Terminal B to Terminal E). An hour and a half is more than enough, and an hour will work in most instances. Even if they have checked bags and need to check in at the counter, they can do that right after arriving in the first flight and head into town after... the 60-90 minute rule of thumb would still apply.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2017, 09:26 PM
 
4,141 posts, read 1,732,959 times
Reputation: 11674
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
i personally would never consider taking the chance of leaving the airport for a short sightseeing tour. There's always the risk of traffic or other unplanned occurrence which could make you miss your flight. On any longer layovers (hours) i've had i just check out all the terminals and sit and have a drink or two and maybe some food. I want to get to my destination, and since boston is not a planned stop i wouldn't risk it for maybe 1 hr of sightseeing.
+1.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2017, 03:30 PM
 
19 posts, read 14,048 times
Reputation: 28
Although, if the weather's nice, the Boston Common is probably worth it no matter how little time you spend there. It's a pretty park.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top