Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 08:39 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,948,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Spirit allows you to fly with one bag (an average sized backpack, or smaller). Any other bags more than that, you have to pay for. If you purchase carry on bags online when you buy your ticket, it costs something like $25. If you don't purchase bags and show up at the gate, it will cost around $100.

I think a lot of people run into trouble when they book flights through a third-party site and it's not as clear what the bag policy is. Anyone who buys directly through Spirit gets told about 3 times what the policy is via pop up prompts on the website. It's very hard to be unaware of the charges if you order on Spirit's site.

When I fly Spirit, I am typically flying to Cleveland or Minneapolis for 3-4 days, both cities where I have places to stay already. Thus, I don't need to bring much. Fold up a few shirts, a book, maybe some headphones and throw them in a bag.

Ok, thanks, I don't think it would ever work for me (or very rarely work), but I could see how it would for others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2017, 08:59 AM

12,820 posts, read 22,009,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Spirit allows you to fly with one bag (an average sized backpack, or smaller). Any other bags more than that, you have to pay for. If you purchase carry on bags online when you buy your ticket, it costs something like $25. If you don't purchase bags and show up at the gate, it will cost around $100.

I think a lot of people run into trouble when they book flights through a third-party site and it's not as clear what the bag policy is. Anyone who buys directly through Spirit gets told about 3 times what the policy is via pop up prompts on the website. It's very hard to be unaware of the charges if you order on Spirit's site.

When I fly Spirit, I am typically flying to Cleveland or Minneapolis for 3-4 days, both cities where I have places to stay already. Thus, I don't need to bring much. Fold up a few shirts, a book, maybe some headphones and throw them in a bag.
Exactly. This is why it's important to do your research. Everyone who I've seen get irate about Spirit is usually caught off guard by the policy and I don't know how. As bjimmy said, you're prompted about a million times on the website. It's crystal clear. You're also prompted at the airport kiosk and check in counter. So it's really difficult to get to the gate oblivious of the policy, yet people manage to do it every time. I don't think this practice is common (yet) for most U.S. carriers, but many of the big European Ultra Low Cost Carriers (i.e. Pegasus, RyanAir, Norwegian, WOW, etc.) have been doing it for years.

I also use Spirit mostly for short jaunts down to Palm Beach so I can often get by with a backpack, but even if I need more I'll check it which is actually cheaper than carrying it on and comparable with what legacy carriers charge for checked bags now. The beauty of this (and one of the main reasons they do it) is that it speeds up the boarding/deplaning process because not everyone is fighting for bin space. Moreover, because there's so much open bin space, your backpack or purse can easily go in the overhead bin (for free).

The downside is that the ultra cheap fares are misleading if you're traveling with a family or for a long time and have a lot of luggage. Once you start adding in multiple bags, seat selection, etc. the fare can match or exceed carriers like Jetblue, Southwest or the Legacies and at that point it's no longer worth it to fly Spirit. Just do a little price comparing.

Old 10-26-2017, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Exactly. This is why it's important to do your research. Everyone who I've seen get irate about Spirit is usually caught off guard by the policy and I don't know how. As bjimmy said, you're prompted about a million times on the website. It's crystal clear. You're also prompted at the airport kiosk and check in counter. So it's really difficult to get to the gate oblivious of the policy, yet people manage to do it every time. I don't think this practice is common (yet) for most U.S. carriers, but many of the big European Ultra Low Cost Carriers (i.e. Pegasus, RyanAir, Norwegian, WOW, etc.) have been doing it for years.

I also use Spirit mostly for short jaunts down to Palm Beach so I can often get by with a backpack, but even if I need more I'll check it which is actually cheaper than carrying it on and comparable with what legacy carriers charge for checked bags now. The beauty of this (and one of the main reasons they do it) is that it speeds up the boarding/deplaning process because not everyone is fighting for bin space. Moreover, because there's so much open bin space, your backpack or purse can easily go in the overhead bin (for free).

The downside is that the ultra cheap fares are misleading if you're traveling with a family or for a long time and have a lot of luggage. Once you start adding in multiple bags, seat selection, etc. the fare can match or exceed carriers like Jetblue, Southwest or the Legacies and at that point it's no longer worth it to fly Spirit. Just do a little price comparing.

Fair enough, this is good info. I mostly fly southwest due to the 2 free bags. When I travel I'm almost always doing nature photography, and no way would I check my camera gear. I often (such as with Arizona this spring) am bringing camping gear as well. I could see how spirit would work for just a long weekend in a city though.

Old 10-26-2017, 12:56 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,442,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Fair enough, this is good info. I mostly fly southwest due to the 2 free bags. When I travel I'm almost always doing nature photography, and no way would I check my camera gear. I often (such as with Arizona this spring) am bringing camping gear as well. I could see how spirit would work for just a long weekend in a city though.
Not ideal for such circumstances. Keep it in mind for shorter trips to cities though. Spirit goes from Boston direct to Cleveland, Detroit, Minneapolis, Las Vegas, Orlando, Ft Lauderdale. Maybe a couple places more. I believe a direct New Orleans flight is coming in the winter too.

Old 10-26-2017, 01:06 PM

A New Orleans route could be cool, I'm not sure I could survive anything more than a long weekend there.

Old 10-26-2017, 08:11 PM

23,540 posts, read 18,687,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Exactly. This is why it's important to do your research. Everyone who I've seen get irate about Spirit is usually caught off guard by the policy and I don't know how.
Remember not all of us have flown them by choice. I know it's not their fault, and I myself get reimbursed from work for the baggage fees, but it's seen by many as part of the "race to the bottom" of the airline industry. United is now doing the same thing with their "Economy Plus". I imagine that eventually will be the standard for all major carriers.

Old 10-27-2017, 09:25 AM

12,820 posts, read 22,009,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Remember not all of us have flown them by choice. I know it's not their fault, and I myself get reimbursed from work for the baggage fees, but it's seen by many as part of the "race to the bottom" of the airline industry. United is now doing the same thing with their "Economy Plus". I imagine that eventually will be the standard for all major carriers.
I certainly wouldn't want to be forced to fly them. Honestly, they have the most uncomfortable standard economy seats in the sky. Which is why when I fly them, i'll pay extra for a big front seat (or at least an exit row) which is still comparable in price to other airlines (and the big front seats are more comfortable). It's bare bones to the fullest extent and the squeezing passengers for every little thing is definitely frustrating. If I were forced to travel them last minute for a long trip, and couldn't get a seat I wanted and had to pay for all of my extra luggage, I'd be none too pleased either.

It's going to be interesting to see what happens for other carriers down the road. I believe there will be far more a la carte pricing. United, American and Delta are all already offering a version of "basic economy" which is comparable to Spirit (smaller seats, no advance seat assignment, and only a personal item for under the seat). As much as I don't like being squeezed for things that I feel should be included in airfare, something needs to be done to encourage fewer people to fight for overhead bin space. It's ridiculous and it's one of the biggest causes of delays (and headaches for passengers boarding).

I don't know that it'll be the standard for all major carriers, (it's not really new - it's been common in Europe and Asia for more than a decade... it's just catching on here in the U.S. now), but I do think more a la carte options will come into play. Especially with the emergence of true premium economy cabins. Now travelers have a multitude of options and price ranges whereas before it was coach or first class for the most part. Some passengers will always gravitate to the no-frills, bare bones options like Spirit since it's cheap and it gets the job done. Some will continue to pay a little more for the standard economy product, and some will pay a little extra for premium economy with more leg and elbow room and better service but at a significantly lower cost than business. Fares overall are way down from what they were not all that long ago, so I like the direction we're going, but it's frustrating to not be able to get a decent service for the lowest fare. You have to be a little more careful now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston