Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 03:12 PM

1,528 posts, read 1,577,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_because View Post
I would stay in the airport if it were me. But I'm surprised this wasn't mentioned...

There's a water shuttle that goes from the airport to Rowe's Wharf. It's a pretty short ride (20 min?) but you can look it up. This gives you great views of the city as soon as you get on so the ride in is part of your 'fun' which it wouldn't be in a taxi or on the T. So better use of the short time.

Rowe's Wharf is very close to Quincy Market and lots of other things, including the Rose Kennedy Greenway. It's the heart of the city. You can take a short stroll and get back on for more views on the way back.

Probably not so much fun as it gets colder or if it's raining. And return is at night obviously. Like I said, I would not try to do it with that time allowed if it were me (but that's just me) but if the timings of the shuttle work then this would be my first choice. Oh and you would need to take a free shuttle that circles the airport - it stops at all terminals and at the pier for the water shuttle. And no road traffic worries.
I checked to refresh my memory on this...

it's only 7 minutes each way - airport to downtown (once you get from your terminal by bus to the pier - maybe assume 20 mins for waiting and travel but probably far less time).

looks like $20 for one-way but could possibly be discounted for a round trip.

Not a normally scheduled service. You call and they are there at the airport in a 5-10 mins or you arrange the time ahead. There is an office in Rowes Wharf but best to have your return arranged when you head out from the airport. Used it many times (always arranged by someone else so didn't know exactly how it works). Always efficient for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2017, 04:54 PM

9,794 posts, read 7,062,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
Flying Spirit and Norwegian I would stay put at the airport.
That's the thought I had. After a Spirit flight, I'd be heading to the closest bar to drink the memory away.

Old 09-08-2017, 04:58 PM

7,274 posts, read 5,244,946 times
I personally would never consider taking the chance of leaving the airport for a short sightseeing tour. There's always the risk of traffic or other unplanned occurrence which could make you miss your flight. On any longer layovers (hours) I've had I just check out all the terminals and sit and have a drink or two and maybe some food. I want to get to my destination, and since Boston is not a planned stop I wouldn't risk it for maybe 1 hr of sightseeing.

Old 09-08-2017, 08:22 PM

2,031 posts, read 1,081,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
That's the thought I had. After a Spirit flight, I'd be heading to the closest bar to drink the memory away.
To whine it or spirit it away?

Old 09-08-2017, 09:02 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,671,551 times
Stay in the airport. The risk of missing the second flight if something goes wrong is quite high.

Old 09-11-2017, 08:17 AM

11,046 posts, read 12,335,659 times
I fly Spirit all the time out of Boston. Never had any issues. Done it around 10 times.

Stay at the airport.

Old 09-11-2017, 08:58 AM

2,031 posts, read 1,081,803 times
I would get a uber pickup and have him drive around Logan a coupla times. That should be fun. Buckle up.

Old 09-11-2017, 09:32 AM

2,917 posts, read 5,134,252 times
Can easily do the most cliched Boston itinerary of checking out Old North Church, Paul Revere House, Mike's or Modern Pastry, a small pie to go at Pizzeria Regina...then back to Logan.

Yes, stressful,, but would be a shame not to!

Old 09-11-2017, 03:26 PM

12,631 posts, read 21,784,537 times
I'm surprised there are so many nay-sayers.

A couple of points. Assuming your arriving flight is on time, you can EASILY squeeze 2, 2.5 hours in the city (and that's playing it safe). Logan is so close to downtown. Head for Faneuil Hall (take a cab, or an uber). From there you can check off Faneuil Hall, Granary Burying Ground, Old State House/Massacre Site, and parts of the Common as well as grab something to eat/drink quickly if you'd like. It's plenty of time.

Since you're flying in on Spirit (Terminal B), and out on Norwegian (Terminal E), you're probably going to have to go out and re-enter through security anyway. When you arrive, head over to Terminal E, check in with Norwegian, check your bags (if applicable- and remember both airlines charge extra for additional carry-on and checked bags and paying in advance is cheaper), and THEN head into town. That way when you get back, you just have walk right through security. No biggie. You have plenty of time. Enjoy it.

*note* cabs are right out the front door to the left when you exit Terminal E. Uber/Lyft pickups are also to the left... just past the cab stand. If you use the app, your driver will almost certainly be there waiting for you as soon as they accept the request.

Old 09-11-2017, 03:35 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,671,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I'm surprised there are so many nay-sayers.

A couple of points. Assuming your arriving flight is on time, you can EASILY squeeze 2, 2.5 hours in the city (and that's playing it safe). Logan is so close to downtown. Head for Faneuil Hall (take a cab, or an uber). From there you can check off Faneuil Hall, Granary Burying Ground, Old State House/Massacre Site, and parts of the Common as well as grab something to eat/drink quickly if you'd like. It's plenty of time.

Since you're flying in on Spirit (Terminal B), and out on Norwegian (Terminal E), you're probably going to have to go out and re-enter through security anyway. When you arrive, head over to Terminal E, check in with Norwegian, check your bags (if applicable- and remember both airlines charge extra for additional carry-on and checked bags and paying in advance is cheaper), and THEN head into town. That way when you get back, you just have walk right through security. No biggie. You have plenty of time. Enjoy it.

*note* cabs are right out the front door to the left when you exit Terminal E. Uber/Lyft pickups are also to the left... just past the cab stand. If you use the app, your driver will almost certainly be there waiting for you as soon as they accept the request.
Traffic heading to Logan can be absolutely brutal during rush hour. It's just not worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston