Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2017, 05:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,335 times

Advertisements

Hi, this is my first first post on here. I recently got a job in Billerica MA and I would like to live close/in the city I just graduated form college so I would like to be around other people my age. I am just not entirely sure where I could live and also commute reasonably to Billerica. I figure Somerville/Medford/Cambridge could be good. I am not sure I am looking for suggestions and input? I also have a lot of friends in the Brighton area so that could be good in that way. I also am not sure the best ways to find apartments/roommates. Do you have suggestions of where to look? Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2017, 05:09 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,034,747 times
I don't really know what the commute would be like, but I'd suggest Somerville because it's young, fun, and it's probably a better commute than Brighton.

Old 09-11-2017, 06:23 PM

6,121 posts, read 5,084,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
I don't really know what the commute would be like, but I'd suggest Somerville because it's young, fun, and it's probably a better commute than Brighton.
Good suggestion. I work in Chelmsford, and have a colleague who lives in Somerville near Davis Square. He says the (reverse) commute on Rt 2 is not bad, and of course Billerica would be even a bit closer.

Old 09-12-2017, 06:04 AM

4,621 posts, read 4,887,043 times
It's not the same as Cambridge/Somerville but Lowell has a younger vibe (due to UMass Lowell). Depending on where in Lowell and where in Billerica, that a 5 mile - 15-30 min commute. And getting into Brighton/Cambridge at night or on the weekends is pretty easy - right down 3 without traffic takes no time at all.

And if you like winter sports or mountain hiking/camping, you've got a head start up to the whites.

Old 09-12-2017, 06:22 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
I used to work in Billerica, and commuted from Somerville area. Depending on the time of year, and the weather, the commute from Somerville ranged from 30-35 mins to 1hr depending on the time I left at, summer-time traffic, rain, accidents, etc. I would go 93 north, past I-95 and then take rt 129 into Billerica. If traffic was light enough, I'd do 93 to 95 to rt3 north. I used Waze to tell me the best route and depending on the above factors, it was a mix of highway and secondary roads. I don't think I ever took Rt2.

Did it for a few years, got sick of spending so much time in the car and then moved north.

Old 09-28-2017, 02:40 PM

19 posts, read 37,391 times
Driving in Somerville is a little crazy though, especially if you don't have a parking space. I would imagine that the commute is shorter though. Brighton's driving is easier and you're right next to the Mass. Pike if you're willing to live far from the T (Oak Square etc.). However, parking in Brighton is hard if you're close to the T.

Old 09-28-2017, 11:22 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,230,657 times
Waltham wouldn't be a bad option. It's still pretty young, and you're right off of 128. Plus you're doing more of a reverse commute so it shouldn't be bad.

Craigslist is probably the best place to look for roomies. What is your budget?

Old 09-29-2017, 03:20 PM

5,015 posts, read 3,909,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
Waltham wouldn't be a bad option. It's still pretty young, and you're right off of 128. Plus you're doing more of a reverse commute so it shouldn't be bad.

Craigslist is probably the best place to look for roomies. What is your budget?
Agreed- Waltham/Watertown or Cambridge/Somerville are the best options. If you live west of the new arsenal plaza in Watertown, you can taker pleasant street over to 95. Fortunately, RT.3 North will make up for the congestion on 95. Watertown essentially touches Brighton/Cambridge to the east, so it's close to your friends and the buzz in Allston/Brighton,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston