U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2017, 10:15 AM

3,429 posts, read 5,757,800 times

Advertisements

Hubs is in the financial sector (working on becoming a financial analyst within the next few months) and we recently moved to Charlotte, NC due to him being hired by a major financial firm. Bank of America and Wells Fargo have headquarters here as well as Vanguard (not a headquarter) and several other firms.

It seems as if every other finance major had the same idea as us. The market is just flooded with finance oriented people. I seem to think Boston has better financial hub potential with the opportunity for more growth/money career wise. Any opinions from people in the sector? We are here until July and then he'll have the experience to either stay (mayyybe move up where he is career wise) or look for other opportunities and move on.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2017, 12:44 PM

1,323 posts, read 675,240 times
Yes Boston is a financial hub with Fidelity, Putnam and BCG. I think Bank of America does a lot of their retirement and mutual fund work here (they bought Columbia Investments). Does Bain count?

Old 09-18-2017, 05:43 PM

2,207 posts, read 3,013,352 times
I'm going to be honest with you. I mean this with sincerity. I follow a few forums here and I recall some things that were important to you.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but it goes without saying that the cost of living will be much higher than Charlotte. If your husband can support your family on his salary there, I'd reconsider moving here. It will be very hard to replicate that here unless one spouse makes a comfortable six figure salary, or if both spouses work, or your husband doubles his current commute. You may find the general housing stock to be older, while newer construction will be very expensive or further out.

Also, consider if you want to deal with a traditional winter. I recall you lived a bit further north of this area, and while the winter/snow is somewhat milder here than there, there's still plenty of snow/ice/freezing rain for the season.

I mention all this because I have a feeling you may not like it here with what you may expect and may have already experienced. I would hate for you to move here and only to lead you to consider moving again. People still move here, but the current trend is unless they make trade-offs or adjust expectations, is to move somewhere a bit cheaper.

Good luck either way—just know the grass isn't always greener and utopia has to exist in our mind first, before we can be happy anywhere we are.

Old 09-18-2017, 07:13 PM

3,268 posts, read 2,193,284 times
I dont think of boston has a financial hub at all. Are there finance jobs here? Sure, but if I were thinking of place to move to with lots of finance positions id probably consider NYC. Again that's not to say there are not finance jobs here, but I wouldnt call it a hub. I think of Boston as more of a tech/pharma/medical hub. and yes those positions bring finance positions...basically you should be able to find finance jobs in any major city. Like someone above said though boston has very high COL so you may be happier somewhere else.

Old 09-18-2017, 07:20 PM

1,924 posts, read 1,067,550 times
Nothing besides London can compete with NYC in regards to being a finance hub. With regards to the US, Boston is definitely in the top 10, most likely even in the top 5. It's on par with places like Chicago, Charlotte, and San Francisco.

Old 09-18-2017, 07:20 PM

8,007 posts, read 5,290,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
Hubs is in the financial sector (working on becoming a financial analyst within the next few months) and we recently moved to Charlotte, NC<>
Not in your line of work at all. Some friends are, though, in Charlotte and love the new financial future for the South. Beats the heck out of Atlanta, anyway. The business opportunity will grow even more. The current, and likely two term governor is a Charlotte lover, so more business will go that way.
You will never be able to afford the lifestyle you can have in Charlotte/Lake Norman/Etc., anyplace in New England.
Put down some roots and stick with it. You'll be glad.

Old 09-18-2017, 07:40 PM

3,446 posts, read 4,350,324 times
Yes. Boston is a financial hub.

Top 10 Cities For A Career In Finance

If it's a better fit for your husband is debatable. It probably depends on what he does and how good he is at it. What's not debatable is the higher cost of living here.

New York is the financial hub of the US, and with apologies to The City, the entire world.

Old 09-18-2017, 07:44 PM

3,268 posts, read 2,193,284 times
meh, ok so maybe it is a 'hub' but there are many other cities in which you could get a job in finance and make your money go farther.

Old 09-19-2017, 07:48 AM

444 posts, read 460,164 times
If there's room for advancement at his current company I wouldn't worry too much about the deluge of finance people in Charlotte. I'd also agree that if you're looking to put down long-term roots I wouldn't move to Boston. It's expensive to make a long-term life here. If you're young, looking to have some fun in a relatively large city and then move on when you want to have a family, consider it.

Boston is a good place to live for DINKs (dual-income no kids) or very high income/independently wealthy families (who don't mind the cold).

Old 09-19-2017, 09:03 AM

7,854 posts, read 6,808,966 times
No, Boston is not a financial hub in any real sense of the term. If we are talking about issuing a 2nd or 3rd place prize, then I guess you can mention Boston (maybe) but the gap between 1 and 2 is so vast that there really is no distinction in being 2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or