Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 12:28 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,838,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
There's a small sliver of people for whom Boston is perfect in every way. The vast majority of the people who live here are probably struggling in ways that may or may not be apparent on the surface. I think if you fit in that small sliver of people for whom Boston is perfect it's easy to criticize people who feel it's not.

Boston has been relatively good to me but I'm not sure I'd move here today.

I don't know about "perfect in every way", but there are a large number of people that its a pretty great place for I believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2017, 07:11 PM

23,298 posts, read 18,461,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
I guess it seems like only average joes need to worry about where to live and not the people who have 9k a month to spend. Something just feels like these folks should be able to figure it out with other resources aside from strangers on citydata.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaeger07 View Post
So we either tell people they can't afford it or we tell people they have too much money for strangers' advice? What's the sweet spot then? Who can both afford to live here and deserve our recommendations?
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
No one, apparently. The mainstream posters on this board tell everyone you don't earn enough to live here, or you earn so much, why would you live here when you could live better somewhere else? There is no middle spot to these people, as Boston is horrible, overpriced, provincial, too liberal, to smug, too crowded, and has crappy weather.

Funny how so many people love it, however.
I wish people would just answer a question rather than force every OP to jump through all sorts of hoops and undergo litmus test screening as to whether they have a right to post on a public relocation forum such as this. I know how much people love to provide their unsolicited opinions, but some people might actually use this board for legit. advice. Imagine that...

Old 10-07-2017, 06:27 AM

3,268 posts, read 3,311,302 times
Ok and some of us regulars have the right to post that we find it odd that someone with 9k a month to spend on housing would come to a forum to ask strangers where they should live. Why not find

Old 10-07-2017, 06:49 AM

23,298 posts, read 18,461,975 times
I would bet that they are not from the USA, do not know many people in the area and/or are just looking for more input. But does any of that really matter? What is even "normal" on this forum?

I can understand calling out a troll, but that is not what it appears...

Old 10-07-2017, 01:46 PM

11,049 posts, read 12,381,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
There's a small sliver of people for whom Boston is perfect in every way. The vast majority of the people who live here are probably struggling in ways that may or may not be apparent on the surface. I think if you fit in that small sliver of people for whom Boston is perfect it's easy to criticize people who feel it's not.

Boston has been relatively good to me but I'm not sure I'd move here today.
This is my opinion too. But the smug mainstream posters on this board think that you are exaggerating, or just don't appreciate the brilliance of the city and their own pet favorite things to do that nobody else cares about. They think that if you don't think Boston is an amazing city with a near genius population of incredibly cultured people, you just don't get it. The city just goes over your simple head!!!

But anyway, you are right though. I've done totally fine here and continue to do so. But I have very little desire to actually live here anymore. There are a lot of plusses and minuses, but after experience the plusses for over 5 years now, I guess I just don't really care about them as much now. Not going to really pursue leaving for another 1 year at least, but absolutely will at that time. I won't miss the type of people who post here frequently.

Old 10-07-2017, 02:50 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,546,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I would bet that they are not from the USA, do not know many people in the area and/or are just looking for more input. But does any of that really matter? What is even "normal" on this forum?

I can understand calling out a troll, but that is not what it appears...
its a weird because op can live in an impoverished ghetto and still live affluently.

Old 10-08-2017, 07:46 AM

1,390 posts, read 851,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
This is my opinion too. But the smug mainstream posters on this board think that you are exaggerating, or just don't appreciate the brilliance of the city and their own pet favorite things to do that nobody else cares about. They think that if you don't think Boston is an amazing city with a near genius population of incredibly cultured people, you just don't get it. The city just goes over your simple head!!!

But anyway, you are right though. I've done totally fine here and continue to do so. But I have very little desire to actually live here anymore. There are a lot of plusses and minuses, but after experience the plusses for over 5 years now, I guess I just don't really care about them as much now. Not going to really pursue leaving for another 1 year at least, but absolutely will at that time. I won't miss the type of people who post here frequently.
Until you go to another city and are introduced to their smug posters. When you leave there are things you will realize you miss and things you will realize you don't. Same with most cities. Go where your heart is..life's too short but do realize the grass isn't always greener.

Old 10-10-2017, 07:28 AM

8,541 posts, read 13,961,275 times
I just can't believe the typical "where should I live?" post that we see here on a daily basis has taken such a turn and has gone on for so many pages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I wish people would just answer a question rather than force every OP to jump through all sorts of hoops and undergo litmus test screening as to whether they have a right to post on a public relocation forum such as this. I know how much people love to provide their unsolicited opinions, but some people might actually use this board for legit. advice. Imagine that...
When you go on the internet and ask for advice inevitably you'll get told what to do (or rather told what the person answering would do few people seem to be able to put themselves in someone else's shoes). Everyone is entitled to an opinion as they say and I don't really have a problem with that.

This is definitely a step beyond the norm. Saying that someone shouldn't come here and ask for help because of their income is ludicrous. Just offering my opinion like everyone else does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
Ok and some of us regulars have the right to post that we find it odd that someone with 9k a month to spend on housing would come to a forum to ask strangers where they should live. Why not find
So, you know this poster personally and are familiar with their circumstances? I've worked with many folks of varying incomes who have moved to the Boston area from all around the country. I can tell you a wealthy person moving here is just the same as a person of average income. Some people know people who live here already while others don't. Income doesn't factor into that.

Old 10-10-2017, 10:09 AM

11,049 posts, read 12,381,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post

So, you know this poster personally and are familiar with their circumstances? I've worked with many folks of varying incomes who have moved to the Boston area from all around the country. I can tell you a wealthy person moving here is just the same as a person of average income. Some people know people who live here already while others don't. Income doesn't factor into that.
I've never seen it on this forum. More an observation than condemnation. If it's not interesting, just let it go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston