U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-12-2017, 04:26 PM
 
Location: SE Pennsylvania
368 posts, read 222,139 times
Reputation: 340

Advertisements

Well Boston is around 20% black and 20% hispanic. With the blacks, half of them are immigrant blacks especially from the Caribbean, alot of Haitians, Jamaicans, Cape Verdeans. The other half are American blacks. And with the Hispanics, about 2/3rds are Dominicans and Puerto Ricans (Caribbean Hispanic), The rest being from Central & South America.

I know East Boston has the highest concentration of Hispanics, but Ive heard its more of a mix of Central & South Americans. While the more dominant Dominicans & Puerto Ricans most live among blacks in southwest Boston neighborhoods like Jamaica Plain, Roxbury, Dorchester, & Mattapan. Is this for the most part true??

What neighborhoods do Blacks & Caribbean Hispanics live?? Also what neighboring suburbs and towns have large numbers too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-12-2017, 04:48 PM
 
Location: (six-cent-dix-sept)
3,964 posts, read 1,936,696 times
Reputation: 2440
i know most of my haitian-american friends and family ane mostly around blue hill ave. (dorchester, mattapan). a few in mostly caucasion areas (north cambridge, somerville).

also even though cap-verdians arent technically west-indian they seem to assimilate ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2017, 06:29 PM
 
Location: Chicago
6,005 posts, read 13,178,004 times
Reputation: 7956
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
i know most of my haitian-american friends and family ane mostly around blue hill ave. (dorchester, mattapan). a few in mostly caucasion areas (north cambridge, somerville).

also even though cap-verdians arent technically west-indian they seem to assimilate ?
I would disagree with calling Somerville a "mostly caucasion (sic)" area. There are swaths of Somerville that has been home to POC for ages. Somerville isn't all just yuppies, students, and recent transplants. I know plenty of people of Haitian descent that have grown up in the Winter Hill section of Somerville and hav family living over there now. Most of the ones that I knew who lived in Mattapan or Hyde Park have moved on to either Milton, Brockton, Melrose, or to some other nearby town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2017, 10:38 AM
 
Location: Massachusetts
5,944 posts, read 6,740,447 times
Reputation: 4277
Doesn't Central Square in Cambridge have that huge Caribbean festival every year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2017, 11:51 AM
 
Location: Boston
1,106 posts, read 852,777 times
Reputation: 1171
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
I would disagree with calling Somerville a "mostly caucasion (sic)" area. There are swaths of Somerville that has been home to POC for ages. Somerville isn't all just yuppies, students, and recent transplants. I know plenty of people of Haitian descent that have grown up in the Winter Hill section of Somerville and hav family living over there now. Most of the ones that I knew who lived in Mattapan or Hyde Park have moved on to either Milton, Brockton, Melrose, or to some other nearby town.
Somerville is 75% white. Its literally more white than Massachusetts at 72/73%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2017, 11:53 AM
 
Location: Boston
1,106 posts, read 852,777 times
Reputation: 1171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spreadofknowledge View Post
Well Boston is around 20% black and 20% hispanic. With the blacks, half of them are immigrant blacks especially from the Caribbean, alot of Haitians, Jamaicans, Cape Verdeans. The other half are American blacks. And with the Hispanics, about 2/3rds are Dominicans and Puerto Ricans (Caribbean Hispanic), The rest being from Central & South America.

I know East Boston has the highest concentration of Hispanics, but Ive heard its more of a mix of Central & South Americans. While the more dominant Dominicans & Puerto Ricans most live among blacks in southwest Boston neighborhoods like Jamaica Plain, Roxbury, Dorchester, & Mattapan. Is this for the most part true??

What neighborhoods do Blacks & Caribbean Hispanics live?? Also what neighboring suburbs and towns have large numbers too?
Dorchester Mattapan Hyde Park Chelsea Revere Lynn Salem Roslindale Jamaica Plain Roxbury East Boston Milton Malden Everett Cambridge Brockton parts of Medford/Stoughton/Avon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2017, 06:27 PM
 
Location: SE PA via North jerz
184 posts, read 125,267 times
Reputation: 173
You are correct. East Boston is mostly Hispanics from Central/South America (El Salvador, Colombia). Although Dominicans and Puerto Ricans make up the majority of Hispanics, they mostly live in the southwest part of Boston, particularly in neighborhoods like Roxbury, Matapan, Dorchester, Jamaica Plain. They mostly share these areas with Black Americans, West Indians (Haitians/Jamaicans), and Cape Verdeans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top