U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 11:15 AM

6,978 posts, read 6,696,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
See, I hear that DC is even more expensive than Boston from people I know that moved there. I don't know where in the area they're living though.
For somebody who "has to live" in NW DC proper, Old Town Alexandria, etc. yes. It drops off once you get away from the trendier areas. Saying that, it has suburbs much crappier than anywhere in MA (particularly P.G. County, MD). But then again, they do serve that necessary purpose when it comes to housing the masses and taking pressure off the housing market.

Old 10-16-2017, 11:36 AM

1,108 posts, read 853,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Well, since I am a middle-class American, not an executive "citizen of the world", I really don't care whether Boston is less expensive than Tokyo, Paris, or London.

For people who actually have to work for a living and neither inherit trust funds nor will them to their descendants, Boston is extremely, unaffordably expensive.
This is really the long and short of it...Boston is wildly expensive. We gotta stop with this world class city/ world city nonsense. Our trains, infrastructure, governance (constant mayoral/municipal scandals to the point they're never talked about) and some of our neighborhoods ( hailstorm of gunfire in Upham's Corner last night hit 4 cars and 2 homes..not to mention 3 separate shootings in less desirable parts Somerville Cambridge and Everett) are all an embarrassment.

Old 10-16-2017, 11:43 AM

32,716 posts, read 22,666,022 times
Um, there are going to be shootings in a city (in the U.S.). Heck, there are shootings in rural areas too. Not sure what that has to do re quality of a city.

There are still affordable areas in the city. I was in Fields Corner last Thursday to see a show and got Vietnamese with a buddy that just moved there to a $900 1 bedroom (not studio). Seems very reasonable to me.

Old 10-16-2017, 11:45 AM

1,108 posts, read 853,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
For somebody who "has to live" in NW DC proper, Old Town Alexandria, etc. yes. It drops off once you get away from the trendier areas. Saying that, it has suburbs much crappier than anywhere in MA (particularly P.G. County, MD). But then again, they do serve that necessary purpose when it comes to housing the masses and taking pressure off the housing market.
I just moved to PG County. Yea there are some very crappy suburbs here but they're small and they're still suburbs-not cities, there are NO Lawrences and Brocktons and Chelseas here(big-i would have never called them big before-cities with high concentrations of poor and immigrants...In the DMV are you will find many many more large apartment blocks n the wealthy suburbs the middling suburbs and the poorer suburbs. It's hard to find a poor suburb here, many are low income but the poverty rates are single digits. That being said the County government allows for that because development is generally fast tracked here. PGC has some extremely wealthy towns and developments.

Old 10-16-2017, 11:57 AM

6,978 posts, read 6,696,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I just moved to PG County. Yea there are some very crappy suburbs here but they're small and they're still suburbs-not cities, there are NO Lawrences and Brocktons and Chelseas here(big-i would have never called them big before-cities with high concentrations of poor and immigrants...In the DMV are you will find many many more large apartment blocks n the wealthy suburbs the middling suburbs and the poorer suburbs. It's hard to find a poor suburb here, many are low income but the poverty rates are single digits. That being said the County government allows for that because development is generally fast tracked here. PGC has some extremely wealthy towns and developments.

I was more referring to inner P.G. County places like Hyattsville, Capital Heights, parts of Laurel along Rte. 1. Last I knew they were pretty dangerous and basically an extension of NE DC. I can't think of any suburb that near to Boston as rough as that, but yes, there are no Brocktons and Lawrences there. And out around Bowie there are some super nice areas...

You did hit the nail on the head re. county governments though, how down there they have the luxury of planning on the macro level to serve the needs of the whole metro area (rather than small individual NIMBY communities that dominate everything in NE).

Old 10-16-2017, 01:57 PM

7,854 posts, read 6,808,966 times
Quote:
Um, there are going to be shootings in a city (in the U.S.). Heck, there are shootings in rural areas too. Not sure what that has to do re quality of a city.
Weird thing about some people just not liking being around gunfire. Irrational I know.

Old 10-16-2017, 03:42 PM

1,684 posts, read 3,205,708 times
Quote:

There are still affordable areas in the city. I was in Fields Corner last Thursday to see a show and got Vietnamese with a buddy that just moved there to a $900 1 bedroom (not studio). Seems very reasonable to me.
At one time in Boston's not too distant past, $600 could get you a one bedroom in Fields Corner. Of course Boston was not as popular back then as it is now. You can't even get a one bedroom in a bad part of Lowell these days for $600 and Lowell is close to an hour away from Downtown Boston by driving.

Old 10-16-2017, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Weird thing about some people just not liking being around gunfire. Irrational I know.
Well then don't move to the U.S., because out in Westborough I hear it daily, and the least amount of gunfire I've ever heard was when living in an urban area (never heard it in the Boston immediate metro area, personally). The reality is we have a gun culture and even the mass murder of children can't get politicians to do anything about it. DC is a desirable high quality city, there is gunfire, same with Boston, same with Chicago, same with SF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
At one time in Boston's not too distant past, $600 could get you a one bedroom in Fields Corner. Of course Boston was not as popular back then as it is now. You can't even get a one bedroom in a bad part of Lowell these days for $600 and Lowell is close to an hour away from Downtown Boston by driving.

Yes, true, things have gotten more expensive with the increased desirability and the expansion of the economy. That's the way it goes.

Old 10-16-2017, 04:15 PM

884 posts, read 710,333 times
Quote:
Well then don't move to the U.S., because out in Westborough I hear it daily, and the least amount of gunfire I've ever heard was when living in an urban area (never heard it in the Boston immediate metro area, personally). The reality is we have a gun culture and even the mass murder of children can't get politicians to do anything about it. DC is a desirable high quality city, there is gunfire, same with Boston, same with Chicago, same with SF.
In the case of Westborough, I'd be willing to bet the guns you hear are legally owned and registered and being fired in a controlled environment. That doesn't speak to the political straw man aspect of your argument, which is a whole different and vastly complex topic.

Old 10-16-2017, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post
In the case of Westborough, I'd be willing to bet the guns you hear are legally owned and registered and being fired in a controlled environment. That doesn't speak to the political straw man aspect of your argument, which is a whole different and vastly complex topic.
Or by hunting. So what? It's gun fire, which was what was being discussed. If you're in any environment, urban, suburban, or rural, you don't know if it is legal gunfire or illegal gunfire. If gunfire startles you, it startles you. I actually don't know when I 'm hiking through an area, or walking in a suburb, or in an urban area, what it is. Though, I can't recall ever hearing gun fire in an urban area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or