U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 06:23 PM

1,924 posts, read 1,067,550 times

Advertisements

Most violence in Boston and the rest of the country is not random. It's between people that know each other. People overestimate the fear of poorer neighborhoods. You could get mugged once a month in Roxbury (not likely) and still have more money versus living in a similar home in cambridge.

Old 10-16-2017, 09:01 PM

4,052 posts, read 4,426,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I don't want to talk about cheap real estate. It's cheap for a reason. That's why I don't understand people that complain about NYC, or Boston, or DC, or SF, etc real estate prices and go off, well, in Pittsburgh I can get this for this. Pittsburgh is fine, it actually has a decent arts/music thing going on now, but its still cheap for a reason.
If you didn't want to talk about cheap real estate, you shouldn't have said, "And I can get a three bedroom, 2 bath place an a acre or more for 100k or less in a bunch of parts of the country with no or low paying jobs, or a very limited selection of them which will hinder job mobility. So?

And have you been to the Dallas suburbs? Holy heck, I can't imagine living in that city, never mind it's suburbs. Gross."

Dallas isn't a good example of what you described. It's one the most economically thriving metros in the country, and it's definitely not cheap anymore. The cleanliness, low crime and school quality are the reason why people are flocking there from all over the world. Strange how it was mentioned without it even being listed in the UBS report.

Last edited by thenewtexan; 10-16-2017 at 09:17 PM..

Old 10-17-2017, 05:53 AM

32,716 posts, read 22,656,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
If you didn't want to talk about cheap real estate, you shouldn't have said, "And I can get a three bedroom, 2 bath place an a acre or more for 100k or less in a bunch of parts of the country with no or low paying jobs, or a very limited selection of them which will hinder job mobility. So?

And have you been to the Dallas suburbs? Holy heck, I can't imagine living in that city, never mind it's suburbs. Gross."

Dallas isn't a good example of what you described. It's one the most economically thriving metros in the country, and it's definitely not cheap anymore. The cleanliness, low crime and school quality are the reason why people are flocking there from all over the world. Strange how it was mentioned without it even being listed in the UBS report.

Wow, do you not understand what I wrote at all? Sure doesn't seem like it. You really don't seem to be picking up what is being put down. You read exactly the opposite of what I was saying.

Yes, Dallas is great. Car centric sprawling awesomeness. Cheap, car centric, sprawling awesomeness. Great high school football stadiums though.

Last edited by CaseyB; 10-17-2017 at 08:18 AM.. Reason: Rude

Old 10-17-2017, 07:25 AM

7,854 posts, read 6,805,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post

Dallas may not be cheap relative to Dallas of the past, but it's certainly still cheap compared to Boston and other coastal cities.

Old 10-17-2017, 08:26 AM

1,106 posts, read 852,777 times
Quote:
Um, there are going to be shootings in a city (in the U.S.). Heck, there are shootings in rural areas too. Not sure what that has to do re quality of a city.

There are still affordable areas in the city. I was in Fields Corner last Thursday to see a show and got Vietnamese with a buddy that just moved there to a $900 1 bedroom (not studio). Seems very reasonable to me.
How about the hundreds of totally innocent people that have been shot by stray bullets in Boston since 2000?? Or the general presence of the criminal element? Or as I previously stated the chance that 4 cars and two homes ay be riddled with gunfire on any given night in some areas??? Your not sure what that has to do with the quality of a city ? QOL?

I would think the shooting aren't invalid just because its a US city. Since I commented last night, someone shot dead in a Dorchester Hotel near the expressway. Don't forget the double shooting ON THE EXPRESSWAY last month. To turn a blind eye to the regularity of these types of things in a city as small as Boston is at least, disingenuous. In cities where violent crime and gunfire is less common, i.e. almost all the more expensive "world cities" the price is higher because the city is more desirable as a whole due to more widespread safety and tranquility.

Old 10-17-2017, 08:30 AM

1,106 posts, read 852,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I was more referring to inner P.G. County places like Hyattsville, Capital Heights, parts of Laurel along Rte. 1. Last I knew they were pretty dangerous and basically an extension of NE DC. I can't think of any suburb that near to Boston as rough as that, but yes, there are no Brocktons and Lawrences there. And out around Bowie there are some super nice areas...

You did hit the nail on the head re. county governments though, how down there they have the luxury of planning on the macro level to serve the needs of the whole metro area (rather than small individual NIMBY communities that dominate everything in NE).
No sure I get you those suburbs are more run down, we have some less than glitzy suburbs and older suburbs but no suburban areas as ugly as the ones in inner PGC. However, the dangerousness is definitely not as high as you would think, down CONSIDERABLY since the 2005-2010 era. Its a more sprawling sort of rundown appearance and more liquor stores and fewer parks than were used to in MA but less in depth poverty than some of our cities. Overall I think DC and Boston suburbs are a wash

Old 10-17-2017, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
How about the hundreds of totally innocent people that have been shot by stray bullets in Boston since 2000?? Or the general presence of the criminal element? Or as I previously stated the chance that 4 cars and two homes ay be riddled with gunfire on any given night in some areas??? Your not sure what that has to do with the quality of a city ? QOL?

I would think the shooting aren't invalid just because its a US city. Since I commented last night, someone shot dead in a Dorchester Hotel near the expressway. Don't forget the double shooting ON THE EXPRESSWAY last month. To turn a blind eye to the regularity of these types of things in a city as small as Boston is at least, disingenuous. In cities where violent crime and gunfire is less common, i.e. almost all the more expensive "world cities" the price is higher because the city is more desirable as a whole due to more widespread safety and tranquility.
I guess *that population* isn't a concern to the mainstream posters here. Not where they live anyway (even though, as they will tell you, shootings happen in EVERY city and it doesn't matter because it's not random- they still won't live anywhere close by).

Old 10-17-2017, 09:15 AM

32,716 posts, read 22,656,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I guess *that population* isn't a concern to the mainstream posters here. Not where they live anyway (even though, as they will tell you, shootings happen in EVERY city and it doesn't matter because it's not random- they still won't live anywhere close by).

I like to deal with reality. The reality is places like NYC, Boston, DC, Chicago, etc are all very desirable cities to live in. Their real estate, and job markets, and demographics reflect that. There is violence in these cities. They still have a high quality of life and are highly desirable.

I lived in Chicago just for a little bit, but know more than a few people that their entire adult lives these, and they've never been the victim of serious crime, and never heard gunfire either. It's relatively small areas that the vast majority of people don't go into where these things occur, for the most part.

And people live where the cultural amenities, and the access to jobs, and the budget allow. No one is going to purposely move to a less desirable area to prove some social point for you or anyone else.

That is the reality.

Old 10-17-2017, 10:45 AM

1,690 posts, read 3,210,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
BostonBorn didn't say it but much of this violence is explained away as "people who know each other" in "a few neighborhoods" -- i.e., people who live in the nicer Boston, home to universities and dynamic neighborhoods with historic vernacular architectural styles and vast professional and academic employment opportunities, and which centers on the Charles River Basin and includes lots of urban territory in independent cities; and who feel safely removed from and largely oblivious of this type of violence and the neighborhoods where it occurs.

However, lots of people with ties to that more mainstream Boston move into streets within or near the hood, in Melville-Park, Ashmont, Meetinghouse Hill, Jones Hill, Codman Hill, Highland Park/Fort Hill, Egleston, and so on. People in the hood feel they're getting pushed out to Brockton, Taunton, etc.

And people agree to disagree on violence in Boston compared to other US cities. Some (selective) quotes from comments on a YouTube video showing mean streets in Boston...

smh come to the chi, milwaukee or detroit this looks like beverly hills compared to those hoods, garry indiana, cleveland, naptown, east st louis, st louis, nati, flint, racine, north chicago, youngstown, joliet

One thing I love about Boston is even in the roughest hoods they got crazy pride for the history and culture of Boston AS A WHOLE..��

The most beautiful ghetto in America even the worst people are vaguely intelligent I was raised in west Baltimore Maryland when I came to the bean I was taken back by the cleanliness and the civilized poor minority's black folks in Boston have no idea how lucky they are ghettos down here are war zones

I'm proud to say my city of Boston is one of the safest of all major metropolitan cities in the country. Even our most dangerous parts have very little boarded up, dilapidated homes and closed up out of business stores. much of these neighborhoods are made up of well maintained expensive homes owned by the very middle and upper middle class blacks that reside there. Monday thru Friday during rush hour these streets are bumper to bumper with traffic with folks coming to and from their professional careers.
This is why boston African American's aren't protesting to these absurd causes that have been going on for years now in other major cities. People actually have lives here.

Old 10-17-2017, 10:50 AM

Quote:
I like to deal with reality. The reality is places like NYC, Boston, DC, Chicago, etc are all very desirable cities to live in. Their real estate, and job markets, and demographics reflect that. There is violence in these cities. They still have a high quality of life and are highly desirable.

I lived in Chicago just for a little bit, but know more than a few people that their entire adult lives these, and they've never been the victim of serious crime, and never heard gunfire either. It's relatively small areas that the vast majority of people don't go into where these things occur, for the most part.

And people live where the cultural amenities, and the access to jobs, and the budget allow. No one is going to purposely move to a less desirable area to prove some social point for you or anyone else.

That is the reality.
Yup as long as you get yours it's all good. Forget everyone else!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or