U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 10-17-2017, 11:08 AM
 
32,716 posts, read 22,656,169 times
Reputation: 29772

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Yup as long as you get yours it's all good. Forget everyone else!

I can't afford to buy in Boston. That doesn't mean I'm bitter about it. I'm not a high enough earner, I chose a career path that doesn't rake in the $$$. I'm ok with that. Just because I grew up some place, became educated and have a job doesn't entitle me to live or buy in a highly desirable neighborhood or where I grew up. I'm not that entitled.

 
Old 10-17-2017, 11:51 AM
 
1,323 posts, read 675,240 times
Reputation: 1079
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Yup as long as you get yours it's all good. Forget everyone else!
You know what - Yup that is exactly how I feel
 
Old 10-17-2017, 12:58 PM
 
Location: Boston, MA
7,854 posts, read 6,805,356 times
Reputation: 6573
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I can't afford to buy in Boston. That doesn't mean I'm bitter about it. I'm not a high enough earner, I chose a career path that doesn't rake in the $$$. I'm ok with that. Just because I grew up some place, became educated and have a job doesn't entitle me to live or buy in a highly desirable neighborhood or where I grew up. I'm not that entitled.

I was saying that one can't ignore the negative effects of shootings in poor areas, which you would like to ignore.
 
Old 10-17-2017, 12:59 PM
 
Location: Boston, MA
7,854 posts, read 6,805,356 times
Reputation: 6573
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
You know what - Yup that is exactly how I feel
I was being ironically facetious.
 
Old 10-17-2017, 01:01 PM
 
32,716 posts, read 22,656,169 times
Reputation: 29772
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I was saying that one can't ignore the negative effects of shootings in poor areas, which you would like to ignore.


No one ignored them. Or claimed they didn't happen.


It's just not a big issue in the quality of a city. All major cities (in the U.S.) have those areas where they occur all too frequently, even quality ones. However, its not a hindrance to them being a high quality or desirable city.


It seems like people don't even want to read the words I type, they just wish to bash the city and promote some bizarre anti Boston agenda.
 
Old 10-17-2017, 01:11 PM
 
Location: Boston, MA
7,854 posts, read 6,805,356 times
Reputation: 6573
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
No one ignored them. Or claimed they didn't happen.


It's just not a big issue in the quality of a city. All major cities (in the U.S.) have those areas where they occur all too frequently, even quality ones. However, its not a hindrance to them being a high quality or desirable city.


It seems like people don't even want to read the words I type, they just wish to bash the city and promote some bizarre anti Boston agenda.
Nobody's bashing the city. It's almost as if people aren't reading the words I type...

Disagree on the point about shootings mattering. That's fine. But the woe-is-me is ridiculous, though not unexpected.

Anyway, I've lived in these kinds of areas before, though not in Boston. It's not a good time. Gets old after not that long.
 
Old 10-17-2017, 01:20 PM
 
32,716 posts, read 22,656,169 times
Reputation: 29772
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post

Disagree on the point about shootings mattering. That's fine. But the woe-is-me is ridiculous, though not unexpected. .

So, since every city of any size has these shootings, you seem them as all undesirable cities to live in, because of them.


Got it. That makes lots of sense.
 
Old 10-17-2017, 01:28 PM
 
Location: Boston, MA
7,854 posts, read 6,805,356 times
Reputation: 6573
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
So, since every city of any size has these shootings, you seem them as all undesirable cities to live in, because of them.


Got it. That makes lots of sense.
Not at all what I said and I know you know that.

Any disagreement tends to take a typical turn when dealing with certain posters. I'm happy to say "you win" if it clears the unbearable smug out of this board.
 
Old 10-17-2017, 02:49 PM
 
32,716 posts, read 22,656,169 times
Reputation: 29772
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Not at all what I said and I know you know that.

Any disagreement tends to take a typical turn when dealing with certain posters. I'm happy to say "you win" if it clears the unbearable smug out of this board.

No, I don't know that. It seems to be what you are saying. That if some shootings occur, usually in specific areas that are away from where most people live and work, that the entire city has reduced desirability.

That's what you seemed to say. And in this case, every city of any size in the U.S. has decreased desirability.

If that isn't your point, I have no idea what is. You didn't articulate it very well. No one said shootings do not matter to people or the community. No one implied it. So that certainly can't be your point.

And I agree, any time you discuss Boston you seem to try to take advantage of telling people "this city isn't so great", "everyone here seems to think they're so smart, enlightened, and special... they're not", and "first chance I can get out of here I will, because you can do a lot better elsewhere for less money". Yawn. It's tiresome.
 
Old 10-17-2017, 02:52 PM
 
1,332 posts, read 941,504 times
Reputation: 1564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
At one time in Boston's not too distant past, $600 could get you a one bedroom in Fields Corner. Of course Boston was not as popular back then as it is now. You can't even get a one bedroom in a bad part of Lowell these days for $600 and Lowell is close to an hour away from Downtown Boston by driving.

Though Boston/Cambridge fuels the larger job market, it isn't the sole destination for high wage jobs, which is reflected in the COL for eastern/central MA and southern NH. Lowell's housing supports multiple job markets, including: southern NH (BAE, Fidelity, Lib Mutual), rt.3/95 tech belt, Worcester's healthcare/insurer/higher ed market, the large 495 corp-centers (Philips, GE, Bos Sci, J&J, etc.), as well as metro Boston.

I'd argue $1,300-1,500 dollars for a loft apartment is a bargain given it's access to various job markets as well as having a commuter rail accessible from downtown rentals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top