U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-15-2017, 08:06 PM
 
7,027 posts, read 6,720,279 times
Reputation: 4704

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
So now we're talking about DD. No problem, I guess I brought it up.

Any Tim Hortons (they don't use an apostrophe even though the hockey player's name was Horton) left in New England without looking it up? I went to one five years ago outside Portland. I remember a small one near Kennedy Plaza in Providence which closed years ago, I think. Ten years ago, I encountered one off I-95 south of Providence in a shopping plaza.

Also, saw one years ago in Fall River but it must have closed long ago.

Maybe the U.S. stores aren't as good, and not as many selections as the Canadian stores? Aren't they still around Buffalo and Columbus (wasn't Hortons owned by Wendy's at one time, I think, and Wendy's is based in Columbus?)

I don't drink coffee...is Tim Hortons coffee better than its competitors?
They bought out the Bess Eaton chain which was in RI and SE MA, I think most or all of those locations closed. And yes they use a different blend of coffee in the US stores vs. the Canadian ones, some prefer one while others prefer the other. I believe Burger King owns them now. They are still the dominant coffee up here in N Maine, DD is kind of the new kid on the block.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-15-2017, 08:09 PM
 
Location: Chicago
6,005 posts, read 13,188,736 times
Reputation: 7957
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
A tourist ten years ago noted that Chicago has even more Dunkin Donuts than Boston per capita, or it seemed so to him.

Possible? Chicago?
I was surprised by the number of DD in Chicago vs. Boston. When you consider how many train stations have mini DDs and walk up windows (e.g., the Belmont stop in Lakeview, the Polk stop near the Medical District, the stop by the courthouse downtown) then I do believe that the ratio of DD is higher in Chicago than in Boston.

It seems like ABP is still operating in some airports. Wasn't there one in Logan? And I swear there was one in another airport I was passing through a few years ago. Of course I don't see that lasting; Starbucks is killing them even in that arena. There really isn't much that ABP is doing that Starbucks or Panera are doing as well or better. They were typically slower than Starbucks if you ordered something but not as tasty or made-to-order as Panera. And their locations were always a bit dingy/cramped, especially with the register lay out many locations had (almost like express lanes at a supermarket). Still, I will miss their croissants, bread sticks, and cookies.

I'm surprised so many Paneras have closed in Boston as well. I spent so much time at Panera as an undergrad. Though I do remember the Panera in Coolidge Corner not having accessible outlets when I popped in there a few years ago, so if they started to get stingy with their wi-fi and computer policy, I can see it turning off college students, especially as colleges try to build up their own student centers (it was right around the time my college got a decent cafe with sandwiches and coffee options that I stopped going to Panera once and for all).

Last edited by eevee; 11-15-2017 at 08:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2017, 05:42 AM
 
3,574 posts, read 1,828,409 times
Reputation: 3851
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
They bought out the Bess Eaton chain which was in RI and SE MA, I think most or all of those locations closed. And yes they use a different blend of coffee in the US stores vs. the Canadian ones, some prefer one while others prefer the other. I believe Burger King owns them now. They are still the dominant coffee up here in N Maine, DD is kind of the new kid on the block.
It's a bit complicated regarding ownership. 3G Capital is the majority owner of Restaurant Brands International which has Tim Hortons, Burger King, and Popeye's under their umbrella. The 3 companies operate independently but share some back office, purchasing, and financing operations. They also own Kraft Heinz and utilize those in the restaurant operations. 3G is based in Sao Paulo Brazil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2017, 08:34 AM
 
Location: Boston
7,347 posts, read 15,321,082 times
Reputation: 8626
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
They bought out the Bess Eaton chain which was in RI and SE MA, I think most or all of those locations closed. And yes they use a different blend of coffee in the US stores vs. the Canadian ones, some prefer one while others prefer the other. I believe Burger King owns them now. They are still the dominant coffee up here in N Maine, DD is kind of the new kid on the block.
Wow, I forgot all about Bess Eaton.

You still have Tim Horton's up there? I went to school in Maine during their initial push into the state. I was in Farmington at first, then Portland (USM). The stores down in the Portland area didn't last long (nor did they last long in MA). I assumed they all left Maine. Interesting they hung on in Northern ME.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2017, 09:00 AM
 
Location: Quincy, Mass. (near Boston)
2,051 posts, read 3,466,983 times
Reputation: 1618
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Wow, I forgot all about Bess Eaton.

You still have Tim Horton's up there? I went to school in Maine during their initial push into the state. I was in Farmington at first, then Portland (USM). The stores down in the Portland area didn't last long (nor did they last long in MA). I assumed they all left Maine. Interesting they hung on in Northern ME.
Was just thinking about Bess Eaton the other night, for some reason.

I recall one near Morton and Blue Hill Avenue in Dorchester on Rt. 203 near the Mattapan line. It seemed dated even way back then, and not sure when it closed. I think it's still a coffee/donut shop but can't recall the name.

Any other Bess Eatons in the city or nearby back then? Can't remember, and not even sure what types of donuts, pastries or coffees they may have excelled in, if any.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2017, 05:58 PM
 
7,027 posts, read 6,720,279 times
Reputation: 4704
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
You still have Tim Horton's up there? I went to school in Maine during their initial push into the state. I was in Farmington at first, then Portland (USM). The stores down in the Portland area didn't last long (nor did they last long in MA). I assumed they all left Maine. Interesting they hung on in Northern ME.
Yep, remember when they closed all the stores in southern ME a few years ago. Makes sense, that is strong DD territory. Up north it's TH country. DD has a presence, but no full scale stores north of Bangor (all gas station type locations). TH does seem to be holding on in central ME as well, they still have a few locations in Bangor and are as far south as Waterville.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
Was just thinking about Bess Eaton the other night, for some reason.

I recall one near Morton and Blue Hill Avenue in Dorchester on Rt. 203 near the Mattapan line. It seemed dated even way back then, and not sure when it closed. I think it's still a coffee/donut shop but can't recall the name.

Any other Bess Eatons in the city or nearby back then? Can't remember, and not even sure what types of donuts, pastries or coffees they may have excelled in, if any.
Really? I don't remember there being any in Boston. It was mostly a RI thing with a few stray stores in Fall River, Seekonk, etc. Their big thing was the vats of coffee to bring to games, events, etc. They had some cutesy name for those, can't recall it though. The couple of times I went there, I don't remember anything special about it.

Back around 2011, I noticed there was still a Bess Eaton open in Wakefield, RI. It might have been the last location in existence, and not sure what ties it had to the original chain/business. It was surprising because I thought the whole chain and all its locations were sold years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2017, 11:53 PM
 
Location: Quincy, Mass. (near Boston)
2,051 posts, read 3,466,983 times
Reputation: 1618
New DD alert: just passed a new one opening at Tremont St. at West Street across the Common. The façade seems renovated but can't recall what had closed there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2017, 11:25 AM
 
Location: Boston
7,347 posts, read 15,321,082 times
Reputation: 8626
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Yep, remember when they closed all the stores in southern ME a few years ago. Makes sense, that is strong DD territory. Up north it's TH country. DD has a presence, but no full scale stores north of Bangor (all gas station type locations). TH does seem to be holding on in central ME as well, they still have a few locations in Bangor and are as far south as Waterville.
Interesting. I'm still not sure which I prefer. I think I'm leaning toward TH because I don't have it as much and grass is always greener. Plus, the gas station DDs in Maine (I go to the one in Bethel a lot) are painfully slow in my experience. I'm happy to know TH is still in Maine though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
New DD alert: just passed a new one opening at Tremont St. at West Street across the Common. The façade seems renovated but can't recall what had closed there.
This gave me an excuse to play with google Streetview. It looks like this location was a place called "Boston Sound" and it went vacant in about 2014 and remained vacant until recently. If you're on a desktop, you can go to google streetview and in top left it will say "Street View - November 2016" If you click on that, you can go back in time to each year the street view car came through. Here's Tremont/West in July 2013. Here it is again in June 2014. Now that street view has been around for a decade, you can really see the change in some places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2017, 06:24 PM
 
7,027 posts, read 6,720,279 times
Reputation: 4704
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Interesting. I'm still not sure which I prefer. I think I'm leaning toward TH because I don't have it as much and grass is always greener. Plus, the gas station DDs in Maine (I go to the one in Bethel a lot) are painfully slow in my experience. I'm happy to know TH is still in Maine though.
Neither is that great. Ditto on the slowness. At one point it got so ridiculous that if my local DD had more than one vehicle in line, I would drive past it to TH (which was often halfway around the parking lot but they still managed to get you in and out of there quicker). So when it comes to service, TH definitely wins. They also win on the stores themselves and the more homey atmosphere they provide. DD iced coffee is better than TH, but lately I have grown to appreciate the TH hot dark roast blend so I guess it's a wash there.

But saying that, both are barely better than McD's coffee and cost more than twice as much. And on some days, I dare swear the latter is better...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2017, 07:34 AM
 
538 posts, read 1,044,008 times
Reputation: 452
Always loved playing chess on those tables outside the Au Bon Pain in Harvard Square. Does anyone know if they are still there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top