Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 04:45 PM

23,542 posts, read 18,693,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMA View Post
"Relatively healthy" just keep telling yourself that. Most of the reason their burritos and others aren't healthy is because of the size. The main issue was that Chipotle was basically giving people the impression they were healthy because they were "fresh", which also doesn't mean health.

I have a good grasp of nutrition and realize than anyone who thinks eating out at these places is "healthy" is misinformed. Yes, I understand some calories are better then others, but again most of these places making people thinking they are eating healthy really aren't that healthy. Most of the Chipotles around me are pretty dead now and have been for the last few years; but that might be because of too much competition in the Dallas market.

Expanding doesn't mean anything. Starbucks did the same thing and expanded too much and actually had to close hundreds of stores.
Size has nothing to do with a food being healthy or not. You could take 8 avocados (one of the world's healthiest foods), yet eating them all at once would be unwise for most people. Then again, you could take a Boston cream donut...I don't think one alone would put you over any daily limits, but it is certainly not beneficial to you. It has ZERO nutritional value. And fresh absolutely (can) mean health, as the fresher the food the generally higher nutritional content.

If I go there I stick with either a burrito bowl or the corn tortilla tacos. Would I eat there everyday, of course not (nor would I eat out anywhere that often). But if I had to live off of any fast food chain for a month, I can't think of anywhere that would be less detrimental to my health (that's what I meant my "relatively").

I'm sure Dallas has better food available than Chipotle, I'm stacking it up against major chains with a presence in MA.

I'm not sure about Starbucks, I've probably been there 3 times in my life. They probably did over-expand. Both Chipotle and Chic-fil-a are very business smart, they seem to know their market quite well and grow at a steady controlled pace. Like I said, I never seen a location of either that wasn't busy. Of course I've never been to Dallas...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2017, 05:09 PM

15,958 posts, read 7,021,038 times
North of Boston, here Panera is doing very well. Crowded at lunch time and always busy at other times. I like their vegetarian options.
ABP is doing well in the Burlington mall and also at Rockland mall in Salem Nh. It is not the Apb it used to be.

Old 12-02-2017, 06:23 PM

2,947 posts, read 5,188,951 times
Someone above mentioned how it seems that Panera is not that popular, at least currently.

I went twice last week on consecutive nights to the Fenway location, and, because of that comment I intentionally counted the patrons, even up and around the corner in the back. Must have been 60 people both times, at 6 pm or 7 pm. Bought one of their warm chocolate chip cookies.

Across at Chipotle, both nights seemed active as well.

Yes, the demographics in that area do create that demand. Whereas the cashier used to work at the closed Chestnut Hill Panera, and said it was only busy at lunch. Seems suburbanites out there just eat dinner at home unlike some city dwellers.

Old 12-02-2017, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
Someone above mentioned how it seems that Panera is not that popular, at least currently.

I went twice last week on consecutive nights to the Fenway location, and, because of that comment I intentionally counted the patrons, even up and around the corner in the back. Must have been 60 people both times, at 6 pm or 7 pm. Bought one of their warm chocolate chip cookies.

Across at Chipotle, both nights seemed active as well.

Yes, the demographics in that area do create that demand. Whereas the cashier used to work at the closed Chestnut Hill Panera, and said it was only busy at lunch. Seems suburbanites out there just eat dinner at home unlike some city dwellers.
Not as many single people in the suburbs or people working shifts. If families and couples do go out to dinner, they will typically go to a sit down restaurant.

Old 12-02-2017, 08:14 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,648,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Size has nothing to do with a food being healthy or not. You could take 8 avocados (one of the world's healthiest foods), yet eating them all at once would be unwise for most people. Then again, you could take a Boston cream donut...I don't think one alone would put you over any daily limits, but it is certainly not beneficial to you. It has ZERO nutritional value. And fresh absolutely (can) mean health, as the fresher the food the generally higher nutritional content.

If I go there I stick with either a burrito bowl or the corn tortilla tacos. Would I eat there everyday, of course not (nor would I eat out anywhere that often). But if I had to live off of any fast food chain for a month, I can't think of anywhere that would be less detrimental to my health (that's what I meant my "relatively").

I'm sure Dallas has better food available than Chipotle, I'm stacking it up against major chains with a presence in MA.

I'm not sure about Starbucks, I've probably been there 3 times in my life. They probably did over-expand. Both Chipotle and Chic-fil-a are very business smart, they seem to know their market quite well and grow at a steady controlled pace. Like I said, I never seen a location of either that wasn't busy. Of course I've never been to Dallas...
I agree with you. I'm just saying that people who assume they are eating healthy at Chipotle most often are not. It isn't that you can't do fairly well if you know what you are doing, you just have to be careful. Unfortunately, I've just seen too many eat huge crappy meals at Chipotle and think they are eating healthy, that is all.

Old 12-03-2017, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMA View Post
I agree with you. I'm just saying that people who assume they are eating healthy at Chipotle most often are not. It isn't that you can't do fairly well if you know what you are doing, you just have to be careful. Unfortunately, I've just seen too many eat huge crappy meals at Chipotle and think they are eating healthy, that is all.
I've been a vegetarian for 25 years, so when I'm at El Pelon Mexican in the Fenway, I like the black beans and rice plate, with salsa.

Seems very, very healthy to some. But I'd hate to see the sodium count from the salsa, black beans AND the flavoring in the rice.

Old 12-12-2017, 11:50 AM

78 posts, read 59,352 times
To best honest, I only ever went because I was always guaranteed a place to sit. Trying to use my laptop in a popular coffee shop (any of them) is a gamble. But then I don't drink coffee, so I have no other reason to brave a coffee place looking for a seat.

Old 12-12-2017, 05:20 PM

Au Bon Pain used to be one of the best places to eat at Logan, but now most terminals have so many other options that it's kind of meh by comparison.

Old 12-13-2017, 12:40 AM

Hmmm...and another Tatte cafe opening soon. Just saw a sign around 399 Boylston, near Parish Cafe, announcing a January opening. There's a big vacant space there, so that'll help.

They're serious since the acquisition by Panera.

Old 12-13-2017, 08:14 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,445,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
Hmmm...and another Tatte cafe opening soon. Just saw a sign around 399 Boylston, near Parish Cafe, announcing a January opening. There's a big vacant space there, so that'll help.

They're serious since the acquisition by Panera.
I feel like the same 20 groups of people own 95% of all eateries in Boston. Kinda boring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston