U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 11:00 AM

1,072 posts, read 432,735 times

Advertisements

I have been noticing these popping up in a couple different neighborhoods lately. One is said to be moving into my neighborhood really soon. I was interested to hear what peoples take is on these. Are they good for your community? Do they serve the neighborhood well? Are too many local shop owners in jeopardy? Did traffic change significantly if at all?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2017, 06:36 PM

33 posts, read 11,497 times
Completely useless. The selection is not there (obviously). Everything is marked up and it's funny to see one price on the box and another on the label underneath. The one next to central has more security guards than they have cashiers. Basically a glorified CVS with some Tshirts and pillows.

Old 11-10-2017, 05:08 AM

Yikes. these were my fears as they will be taking up a pretty large footprint in my neighborhood.

Old 11-10-2017, 06:04 AM

466 posts, read 345,466 times
I don't have one nearby, but I have visited the one in Central a few times and found it pretty handy. It really depends on what you shop there for. After work, I don't have a ton of time to stop at a store for a gift for a kids party, or more recently, candy for a school movie night and the Central Target has been good for that. Unsurprisingly, I doubt it has had much impact on traffic in the neighborhood, since there is virtually no parking in Central. I see many students there, who probably walk or take the T.

The Central Target has a large grocery section on the main level, with a smaller clothing section. Downstairs has a small toy section and some home goods. From what I hear, each store will tailor its offerings to the particular community it is in. It remains to be seen if they will be successful in executing that goal.

A smaller Target recently opened in Stoneham. It's in a larger strip mall, so there is plenty of parking, but there probably is an impact to traffic on 28. I don't shop there, as I have a larger Target closer to where I live. Personally, I find the inventory at even full-size targets to be hit or miss. I only go to Target if my list is a bit more open ended and I don't need a specific item. Whenever I go there with something specific in mind, they don't have it.

Old 11-10-2017, 07:22 AM

5,016 posts, read 4,830,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean900 View Post
Completely useless. The selection is not there (obviously). Everything is marked up and it's funny to see one price on the box and another on the label underneath. The one next to central has more security guards than they have cashiers. Basically a glorified CVS with some Tshirts and pillows.
+1.

The one on Comm Ave is obviously directed towards the BU crowd. Many of those students grew up in the burbs so are very familiar with target and they have some bucks to spend. And they need stuff and don't drive. So might be an ok strategy.

Old 11-10-2017, 09:22 AM

7,856 posts, read 6,812,290 times
Surprised to see Target expanding, as their business has taken unprecedented major hits internationally in the last few years.

I've never been to one of these stores. Though I don't live or work particularly near one. I still go to the big Target in Watertown, maybe once every other month.

Old 11-10-2017, 10:03 AM

Yeah. I thought the same about Target's selection. I don't get what the fuss is. It seems they have a crap selection of not nearly just about everything. It seems more of a place that you walk in and walk out with crap you didn't need.

Old 11-10-2017, 09:01 PM

1,684 posts, read 3,206,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
Yeah. I thought the same about Target's selection. I don't get what the fuss is. It seems they have a crap selection of not nearly just about everything. It seems more of a place that you walk in and walk out with crap you didn't need.
I have an urban planning history book lying around somewhere that told the history of Target, of how it started off as the discount clearance division of an ordinary department store (Dayton's I believe was the name of the store), and how it became so successful that it outlived the original department store chain and became a full fledged chain in its own right. So yes, because of its discount store origins, the mission of Target is still to get you to buy a lot of cheap but useless junk.

Old 11-11-2017, 06:09 AM

3,561 posts, read 1,820,371 times
Yep - Dayton Hudson Corporation which included the late, much loved Lechmere.

Old 11-11-2017, 08:00 AM

586 posts, read 290,286 times
I find the one in Central Square to be pretty useless. I’ve been in a few times to look for certain things one might find it a normal Target and walk right back out. For a new store it’s also poorly maintained and always a mess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston