U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 08:42 AM

11 posts, read 10,820 times

Advertisements

Thanks @ne999!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2017, 09:47 AM

11 posts, read 10,820 times
I wanted to provide an update in case anyone else reads this and is looking for something similar. Through some diligent searching and help from a broker (which means a broker fee, yes), I was able to actually find quite a few places that met most or all of my requirements. A lot of places were in Somerville and I'd encourage anyone looking for something similar to check out there as that seemed to have the most availability (at least in what I was looking for and at this time of year). I also saw some Beacon Hill, Cambridge, and Charlestown places, and ended up picking a place in Charlestown! Thank you to those who offered suggestions/advice.

Old 12-14-2017, 02:03 PM

1,605 posts, read 736,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtonova123 View Post
I wanted to provide an update in case anyone else reads this and is looking for something similar. Through some diligent searching and help from a broker (which means a broker fee, yes), I was able to actually find quite a few places that met most or all of my requirements. A lot of places were in Somerville and I'd encourage anyone looking for something similar to check out there as that seemed to have the most availability (at least in what I was looking for and at this time of year). I also saw some Beacon Hill, Cambridge, and Charlestown places, and ended up picking a place in Charlestown! Thank you to those who offered suggestions/advice.
Charlestown is a great choice. Still more bang for your buck than a lot of other Boston neighborhoods, and it's a healthy mix of professionals and young families. Of the neighborhoods young professionals flock to, it's on the less vibrant side- Less bars and restaurants, not nearly as much foot traffic. BUT, for what it lacks in that spectrum, it makes up for in livability. There are certainly more desirable areas than others, but they're all very safe, and the majority of them have seen a recent face-lift. Some of those brownstone neighborhoods between Main and Bunker Hill st. are very pretty. It's a little slice of Beacon Hill/South End.

A few things to note:
Assembly Square falls just north of Charlestown in Sommerville. Great new development with shopping, a bunch of restaurants, and a nice piece of waterfront along the Mystic. I believe all of the patios are dog friendly, too.

Some good eats in Charlestown, but not nearly saturated as most Boston neighborhoods. That said, Monument and Brewers Fork are excellent as is Maderas Tapas. For waterfront drinks and dinner, definitely check out Pier 6. Great views, decent food.

They've built up the waterfront, and have left some green space to enjoy. It's not the most active area IMO, but there's certainly enough. You can always utilize the waterfront in East Boston and the North End.

Old 12-14-2017, 02:55 PM

1,690 posts, read 3,210,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
those brownstone neighborhoods between Main and Bunker Hill st.
I'm sorry to be a nitpicking pedant but please, leave the brownstones in NY and Bklyn where they come from. Boston has hardly any, and Charlestown none. These are brick townhouses you're speaking of. Beacon Hill and the South End, in particular, are known for the bowfront houses. But they're all a lovely rose-hued antique brick, not the chocolate color of brownstone.

Old 12-14-2017, 03:53 PM

112 posts, read 60,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
I'm sorry to be a nitpicking pedant but please, leave the brownstones in NY and Bklyn where they come from. Boston has hardly any, and Charlestown none. These are brick townhouses you're speaking of. Beacon Hill and the South End, in particular, are known for the bowfront houses. But they're all a lovely rose-hued antique brick, not the chocolate color of brownstone.
I'm sorry to nitpick, but the city is spelled Brooklyn, not "Bklyn".

Old 12-14-2017, 05:57 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,816,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Charlestown is a great choice. Still more bang for your buck than a lot of other Boston neighborhoods, and it's a healthy mix of professionals and young families. Of the neighborhoods young professionals flock to, it's on the less vibrant side- Less bars and restaurants, not nearly as much foot traffic. BUT, for what it lacks in that spectrum, it makes up for in livability. There are certainly more desirable areas than others, but they're all very safe, and the majority of them have seen a recent face-lift. Some of those brownstone neighborhoods between Main and Bunker Hill st. are very pretty. It's a little slice of Beacon Hill/South End.

A few things to note:
Assembly Square falls just north of Charlestown in Sommerville. Great new development with shopping, a bunch of restaurants, and a nice piece of waterfront along the Mystic. I believe all of the patios are dog friendly, too.

Some good eats in Charlestown, but not nearly saturated as most Boston neighborhoods. That said, Monument and Brewers Fork are excellent as is Maderas Tapas. For waterfront drinks and dinner, definitely check out Pier 6. Great views, decent food.

They've built up the waterfront, and have left some green space to enjoy. It's not the most active area IMO, but there's certainly enough. You can always utilize the waterfront in East Boston and the North End.
The only drawback to Charlestown in the mid term is the Wynn project in Everett. Once that opens up, Rutherford Ave. will become a nightmare and traffic will spill into the rest of Charlestown.

Old 12-14-2017, 07:02 PM

6,977 posts, read 6,693,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
The only drawback to Charlestown in the mid term is the Wynn project in Everett.
That is HARDLY the only drawback to Charlestown.

Old 12-15-2017, 05:16 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,816,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
That is HARDLY the only drawback to Charlestown.
Okay - a drawback....but's it's one that many new to the area may not know about.

Old 12-15-2017, 07:32 AM

585 posts, read 289,102 times
Having lived in many of the neighborhoods and immediately surrounding areas of Boston, I can say that Charlestown is the least convenient in terms of having actual stuff (restaurants, shops) in the neighborhood. If I need to be getting in a car for most things, I'd rather live in the burbs. Charlestown is charming in certain ways, but you'd better like to walk if you want a traditional urban experience. It's more affordable than other areas for a reason.

Old 12-15-2017, 09:34 AM

1,605 posts, read 736,197 times
She already chose Charlestown, folks. Easy now.

She picked Charlestown for value and convenience for her situation. Dog, cost, probably likely a more updated spread. A lot of people find Charlestown to be the place for them, hence the influx of money in the last decade. Would I choose another neighborhood, like Brookline? Probably, but it's a good choice, one that she certainly won't regret regardless.

As for the brownstone comment- When people refer to brownstones, it seems to be a consensus that it now refers more to the style, saturation, and connectivity of buildings that use brick/stone. I heard the term used in Chicago too. But, yea.. I guess we do use more brick than brownstone..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or