U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2017, 11:29 AM

1,690 posts, read 3,211,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
As for the brownstone comment- When people refer to brownstones, it seems to be a consensus that it now refers more to the style, saturation, and connectivity of buildings that use brick/stone. I heard the term used in Chicago too. But, yea.. I guess we do use more brick than brownstone..
Totally right that it refers to the building type as you say. Languages changes, right? It annoys me, though. The New York brownstones are a real thing, quite different from Philly rowhouses or Boston bowfronts but we've completely lost the distinction; everyone just says "brownstones." More NY hegemony!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2017, 01:39 PM

11 posts, read 10,829 times
Thanks for the feedback everyone! I will be sure to use the proper townhouse terminology around my new neighbors!

Old 12-17-2017, 06:41 AM

703 posts, read 285,851 times
I work at Kendall Square, but of course I drive in from (by Mass standards) the boondocks. 30 minutes is pretty tough to satisfy for a Boston commute. Just going across town can take more than that. I'd at least explore Medford around Tufts if you're driving and Somerville up around Davis Square if you want to walk and take the T - the red line goes right to Kendall Square. Either one of those should offer a pretty convenient commute. You can check the T-schedule at the MBTA site and get commuting times for driving during the week on Waze for any time of the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or