U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2017, 07:22 AM

16 posts, read 7,660 times

Advertisements

I've only lived here a few months and really love it so far! My husband and I normally travel to visit family during Christmas & New Years, but being new to the area we're thinking maybe it'd be nice to spend it here this year (plus money is feeling tight for a trip after moving).

I've found many suggestions googling, such as seeing holiday shows like The Nutcracker/Boston Pops/Disney on Ice (we have a toddler), holiday cruises, ice skating etc but I was curious what folks on here like to do that season. Maybe it's just a favorite place to see scenery, or a less commercialized type of activity, or your opinion if something is a "must do" or a "skip".

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2017, 07:47 PM

403 posts, read 157,471 times
I would say yes to Boston pops. The pops usually do a kids show too. Not sure if they do a Christmas kids show. The tree lighting is cool but gets crowded. Probably not great for children. There's also beacon hill holiday stroll that might be ok for child because there's a tree lighting and carolers etc. I've never been though. Ice skating is always fun. Interested to hear others thoughts

Old 11-20-2017, 09:41 PM

3,581 posts, read 3,667,780 times
It's nice during the Christmas season to make a trip to Jordan's Furniture as they have the old Jordan Marsh (Boston's main department store before Macy's bought them over a decade ago) Enchanted Village display up in their Avon store. I would recommend going during the week as it tends to be less crowded (not really a surprise) and is quite nice.

La Salette Shrine down in Attleboro (not sure of your denomination) is also nice to see the lights and displays.

Both of these things are free. Beyond that Holiday Pops and the Nutcracker are always great.

Old 11-21-2017, 05:58 AM

466 posts, read 345,466 times
First Night in Boston is a pretty big event. https://www.firstnightboston.org If the crowds seem a bit overwhelming, some towns do First Night activities as well.

Old 11-21-2017, 06:45 AM

589 posts, read 290,286 times
Personally, I just like strolling down the Commonwealth Avenue mall and enjoying the lights.

The past few years we have done a drive though Saugus and the Fellsway area to check out some of the over the top light displays at the houses up there. Out kids like to top that off with dinner at the Kowloon. Whatever works...

Last year was the first year for the Boston Winter at City Hall Plaza, and it was pretty great. There is a skating path, village shops and lots of food options. Close by is the beautiful lighted trellis at Christopher Columbus Park on the waterfront.

The Holiday Pops is a fun holiday event. Unfortunately it is not more affordable and accessible to more people who live in the area.

First Night used to be great, but sadly the scale has been significantly dialed back.

Last edited by porterhouse; 11-21-2017 at 07:13 AM..

Old 11-21-2017, 07:11 AM

101 posts, read 66,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
The past few years we have done a drive though Saugus and the Fellsway area to check out some of the over the top light displays at the houses up there. Out kids like to top that off with dinner at the Kowloon. Whatever works...
This brings back memories! We used to do that every year, going back to when I was early teens (70's) and then I did it with my son. I don't think they're quite as over the top as years ago, but it's still kind of fun.

My husband & I go to the Pops every year now, and love the tradition. I know they have a kids show, and it's very entertaining.

Definitely stay away from the tree-lighting in Fanueil Hall (show's called "Blink" I think?) We had done that a few years, and then last year they cut off the perimeter and wouldn't let anyone else in (safety concerns) and it was crazy crowded--we couldn't get away fast enough.

Old 11-21-2017, 10:54 AM

2,050 posts, read 3,462,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJMoves View Post
This brings back memories! We used to do that every year, going back to when I was early teens (70's) and then I did it with my son. I don't think they're quite as over the top as years ago, but it's still kind of fun.

My husband & I go to the Pops every year now, and love the tradition. I know they have a kids show, and it's very entertaining.

Definitely stay away from the tree-lighting in Fanueil Hall (show's called "Blink" I think?) We had done that a few years, and then last year they cut off the perimeter and wouldn't let anyone else in (safety concerns) and it was crazy crowded--we couldn't get away fast enough.
I still think Blink is a good take, as it's great for the modern attention span nowadays: only ten minutes. It's a computerized tree, with nearby tall trees also blinking to recorded holiday music of the Boston Pops.

Then stroll to Ghirardelli chocolate store for hot chocolate next to Quincy Market and/or Chipyard cookies, fresh baked on premisis, in Quincy Market.

Yes, walk the Commonwealth Avenue Mall... past some statues,..the white lights in the trees are wonderful... especially if snowing or freshly fallen snow.

There's also "Urban Nutcracker" and the Boston Children's Choir may have a holiday show. Isn't Elf on stage here this year? H&H Messiah plays a show at Symphony annually. I always hear commercials for "Christmas Revels" at Sanders Theater in Cambridge.

Yes, the City Hall skating and food chalets was nice last year, their first. Haven't heard any mention this year. I thought it was a five-year contract?

There's often carrolers in front of Faneuil Hall... check their website.

Old 11-21-2017, 11:57 AM

7,338 posts, read 15,305,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post

Yes, the City Hall skating and food chalets was nice last year, their first. Haven't heard any mention this year. I thought it was a five-year contract?
It's back starting on Friday. It's almost completely setup already. The layout is different this year (the rink is in the back), but it looks better and maybe even bigger (more vendors). I loved this last year. I'm a huge fan of Christkindl Markets (aka German Christmas Markets) in general and this is the closest thing Boston has. Last year I was in London and they're all over the city on plazas, in parks, and along the river. They're magical and fun. Chicago's is great too. I'd definitely urge anyone in Boston to check it out.

If anyone has a chance, I'd take a long weekend and drive to Quebec City. I'm still floored at how many people haven't discovered this place yet. It's 6 or so hours of easy (all highway through the mountains so zero traffic) driving from Boston and it's cheap and absolutely gorgeous. It's also one widely regarded as one of the best places to be during the holiday season. It's gorgeous. It feels like Europe (infinitely more so than Montreal) but only a few hours away (they also have a great Christmas Market). Here's a National Geographic bit on Quebec City during the holidays. If you google Quebec City Christmas, you'll get the idea. It's the best.

Locally, I agree with La Salette. It's beautiful. Tower Hill Botanical Garden has a great light display too.

If you have kids, Edaville's festival of lights is fantastic. Well worth the cost of admission (I prefer it to the summer).

Also, a stroll through New Bedford's Whaling District is highly recommended and underrated. They go all out decorating it, and the cobblestone streets with all of the cafes, shops, and restaurants absolutely shine. It could be the setting for a Christmas Carol. Go for the Holiday Stroll, or at any other time.

Check out the Newport Mansions "Christmas at the Mansions." Definitely worth the money.

Old 11-21-2017, 12:09 PM

2,050 posts, read 3,462,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
It's back starting on Friday. It's almost completely setup already. The layout is different this year (the rink is in the back), but it looks better and maybe even bigger (more vendors). I loved this last year. I'm a huge fan of Christkindl Markets (aka German Christmas Markets) in general and this is the closest thing Boston has. Last year I was in London and they're all over the city on plazas, in parks, and along the river. They're magical and fun. Chicago's is great too. I'd definitely urge anyone in Boston to check it out.

If anyone has a chance, I'd take a long weekend and drive to Quebec City. I'm still floored at how many people haven't discovered this place yet. It's 6 or so hours of easy (all highway through the mountains so zero traffic) driving from Boston and it's cheap and absolutely gorgeous. It's also one widely regarded as one of the best places to be during the holiday season. It's gorgeous. It feels like Europe (infinitely more so than Montreal) but only a few hours away (they also have a great Christmas Market). Here's a National Geographic bit on Quebec City during the holidays. If you google Quebec City Christmas, you'll get the idea. It's the best.

Locally, I agree with La Salette. It's beautiful. Tower Hill Botanical Garden has a great light display too.

If you have kids, Edaville's festival of lights is fantastic. Well worth the cost of admission (I prefer it to the summer).

Also, a stroll through New Bedford's Whaling District is highly recommended and underrated. They go all out decorating it, and the cobblestone streets with all of the cafes, shops, and restaurants absolutely shine. It could be the setting for a Christmas Carol. Go for the Holiday Stroll, or at any other time.

Check out the Newport Mansions "Christmas at the Mansions." Definitely worth the money.
Excellent info.

Don't forget StoneZoo in Stoneham. Never been but I assume they'll have their holiday display this year.

Also, Boston Gay Men's Chorus usually has a couple of holiday shows.

Old 11-21-2017, 12:17 PM

589 posts, read 290,286 times
There's also this little gem (The Slutcracker). My young daughter walked into dinner at a local joint last night and blurted what's the SLUTCRACKER. It turned a few heads. She saw a posting in the vestibule of the pub.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or