Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 03:54 AM

4 posts, read 4,346 times

Advertisements

Good day all- Ive recently transferred here for a new job and I live in the Burlington/Bedford area. Since I don't start work till Monday, I would like to go do some history touristy stuff with my time off, but being that Im not near a train stop, Im interested in some suggestions:

#1- I can either Travel on Friday or Saturday. Which would be better
#2 I can drive in and pay for parking (Im assuming that Saturday would be better for this?) or I can drive to the closest commuter line and go from there (the Wilmington stop on the Lowell line).

I dont mind paying for parking, I just don't want to have to drive around and look for a place forever.I also don't mind the train and being that this is my first time in Boston proper, Ill be doing mostly Freedom Trail stuff.

Opinions anyone/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2017, 05:26 AM

9,878 posts, read 7,209,711 times
Drive to Oak Grove in Malden, Wellington Station in Medford, or Sullivan Station in Charlestown and park for $6. The orange line will get you into town on a Charlie Ticket for $2.75 each way. Get the ticket at the station.

Parking at Wilmington is $4 but the round trip ticket on the commuter rail is $15. Taking the Orange line also gives you more train options than the commuter rail on a weekend.

Old 12-14-2017, 05:51 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,837,616 times
Welcome! I'd do it Saturday.
For least stress, take an MBTA commuter rail train from Anderson-Woburn station into North Station Boston. An easy walk from there to Faneuil Hall, one of the FT sights and very visitor/tourist friendly, or to Old North Church, another FT sight in an equally visitor-friendly neighborhood. If it were me I'd drive to the Alewife MBTA red line station in outer Cambridge. The advantage of the red line or orange line is frequency; they leave every 10-12 minutes so you're not locked into a timetable. Red line trains stop at Harvard in Cambridge and Park St Boston (for the freedom trail) and various other stops in between.

Old 12-14-2017, 06:08 AM

3,212 posts, read 2,120,946 times
I think the oak grove option is a good one. The commuter rail is too expensive and really limits your timing. Heck, you may even get to experience some junkies at the trainstop or someone being belligerent on the train like a real Bostonian.

Old 12-14-2017, 07:10 AM

3,688 posts, read 7,428,446 times
Just drive in to town and park in the Boston Common Parking Garage. It's convenient and a good value.

Old 12-14-2017, 07:29 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
Just drive in to town and park in the Boston Common Parking Garage. It's convenient and a good value.

That's what I would do.

I've also done the Billerica or Wilmington commuter rail stop to get into North station for a show. If we miss the last train, we usually cab/uber it back to Wilmington. Probably not the most cost effective way, but splitting it 3/4 ways it's not bad.

Old 12-14-2017, 07:35 AM

4,626 posts, read 4,894,804 times
Option 1 - Friday. Drive into Alewife or Oak Grove. Park for $6. Alewife has a much bigger structure, but you still might have to park on the roof at 10 am. Red line to MGH, Park Street, or Downtown crossing. Orange to Haymarket or Chinatown. That's all downtown and close to everything. Park Street station is the start of the Freedom Trail.

Option 2 - Saturday. Drive in and park at Post Office Square structure (under the park). $6 all day. It's ~$30 on Friday, but cheap on the weekend. Post Office Square is about 4 blocks from the Common.
Early Saturday, there is street parking all over the Financial District. But parking in the lot is easier, and maybe cheaper if you plan on staying all day.

Old 12-14-2017, 11:58 AM

4 posts, read 4,346 times
wow, how awesome all of you are! Thanks for all the input and ideas... lots to figure out here. Thanks again!

Old 12-15-2017, 03:00 PM

6,459 posts, read 7,795,049 times
Download the Spot Hero app (you're welcome).

Driving in is easier and faster. I wouldn't expect a ton of traffic this time of year.

But, taking public transportation is fun (IMO) and can be part of the experience.

Welcome to Boston and have a blast.

Old 12-15-2017, 04:14 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,321,790 times
My recommendation is to drive down Mass Ave. to Alewife station, take the Red Line to Park St. station which is in Boston Common, and is the beginning of the Freedom Trail. From there you can walk all over the center of the city and consume an entire day and you still won't cover it all. Great fun!

Commuter rail is OK but less frequent, you've still got to drive over to Anderson RTC, and it drops you at North Station which is (slightly) less convenient to the hottest of tourist hot spots.

Even if you are not a big baseball fan, you have to plan for a game at Fenway in the spring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston