U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 07:53 PM

3 posts, read 2,106 times

Advertisements

Hi
Relocating from NYC to MA

Will be working in Kendall Sq. Cambridge
Wife looking to go back to school / considering Northeastern, BU

Have a 3 and 1 year old

I grew up in Worcester and have lived for short stints in Charlestown and Cambridge

Looking to minimize commute to Kendall Sq (less than 35 min) while keeping a less than 1 hour drive to family in Worcester

Want something that is walkable / bikable and has more urban feel
(Donít want to shock my wife)

But also want to be able to park my truck and go out to play with the kids.
In 2 years public schools will be important

We prefer non uptight living
Budget 1M

Advice very welcome
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2017, 08:02 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,931,681 times
Arlington

Old 12-15-2017, 01:14 AM

1,936 posts, read 1,074,088 times
Brookline. Parts are very urban, and schools are top notch. Sure a SFH there would be difficult at 1 million but if willing to look at a townhome or other multi family home it would be a great option.

Belmont too, similar to Arlington (at least the eastern part, the western part has some larger estates).

Also Medford and Watertown have great (though not top notch) schools.

Old 12-15-2017, 11:15 AM

5,026 posts, read 4,841,789 times
Since you want urban, are you asking about a single family or is a condo ok? Will you be commuting by public transportation or driving in?

I'd think Cambridge itself is a good option.

Old 12-15-2017, 11:48 AM

1,641 posts, read 743,232 times
All good options.

Brookline/Cambridge townhome, Newton small SFH, followed by Arlington. I wouldn't reccomend Medford just yet as the schools have really lagged behind compared to desirability. Some day, the Lawrence Estates neighborhood north of downtown Medford will be my reccomendation, just not yet.

If you can expand to more walk-able but not urban suburbs, Winchester, Belmont and Needham come to mind, though they're very expensive too.

Old 12-16-2017, 06:45 AM

2,945 posts, read 4,931,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post

Also Medford and Watertown have great (though not top notch) schools.

Said no one ever.

Old 12-16-2017, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Since you want urban, are you asking about a single family or is a condo ok? Will you be commuting by public transportation or driving in?

I'd think Cambridge itself is a good option.
Prefer SFH but open to condo.

Will likely commute by train or T

Old 12-16-2017, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
All good options.

Brookline/Cambridge townhome, Newton small SFH, followed by Arlington. I wouldn't reccomend Medford just yet as the schools have really lagged behind compared to desirability. Some day, the Lawrence Estates neighborhood north of downtown Medford will be my reccomendation, just not yet.

If you can expand to more walk-able but not urban suburbs, Winchester, Belmont and Needham come to mind, though they're very expensive too.
Thought about Medford..
Curious, why just not yet....

Old 12-17-2017, 09:21 PM

419 posts, read 247,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
All good options.

Is there a quick way to get to Kendall Square from Newton?
Bus, T or Commuter all require a transfer which would cut into your 35 minute limit.
Google Maps estimates 25-45 mins drive at 9am

Old 12-18-2017, 09:22 AM

5,026 posts, read 4,841,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JZ2007 View Post
Prefer SFH but open to condo.

Will likely commute by train or T
I'd be looking at Cambridge or Brookline (Coolidge Corner). From Coolidge Corner you can easily cycle in to Kendall or take the T - cycling would be quicker. Coolidge Corner is ok but Cambridge will probably be more down to earth and more crunchy granola. Neither will land you a SFH though.

Welcome and best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or