Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 09:41 PM

319 posts, read 504,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmassphd View Post
I totally understand you situation.

I'm not in the construction trade, so I will do my best to describe it
and leave it to others more knowledgeable to contribute.

What you should seek out is a condo for rent in a multistory building
that is constructed from aluminum and concrete.

A friend of mine lives in one in Quincy (he owns) but I can't imagine
such units not being for rent. In such a unit, one hears nothing from
the neighboring units above, below, and to the sides.

I know it's a weird question "how is the building constructed?" when
touring apartments for rent.

Hope this is helpful.
To make a modification. It is not aluminum. It is concrete and rebar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2017, 09:45 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,833,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmassphd View Post
To make a modification. It is not aluminum. It is concrete and rebar.
-- i.e., reinforced concrete. Yes, that's good advice.

Old 12-22-2017, 09:55 AM

12,825 posts, read 21,993,461 times
I'm on the top floor of a 3 decker in Somerville. It's quiet. Very quiet.... too quiet...

But seriously, just keep trying. Eventually you'll get one. Maybe you can afford some of the newer ones in the area?

Old 12-22-2017, 11:34 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I'm on the top floor of a 3 decker in Somerville. It's quiet. Very quiet.... too quiet...

But seriously, just keep trying. Eventually you'll get one. Maybe you can afford some of the newer ones in the area?

Yeah, I was on the third floor in East Somerville myself, it was quiet. For me anyway.

Old 12-22-2017, 07:32 PM

2,941 posts, read 5,182,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Yeah, I was on the third floor in East Somerville myself, it was quiet. For me anyway.
I believe most people will still hear some stereo noise, crying, yelling, even if on the top floor. Just depends if it's a boisterous and busy family below or an elderly lady living alone with her cat -- and one's level of tolerance.

Sometimes you can find something on Craigslist by typing "concrete" or "soundproof" in the search box.

Old 12-23-2017, 02:33 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
I believe most people will still hear some stereo noise, crying, yelling, even if on the top floor. Just depends if it's a boisterous and busy family below or an elderly lady living alone with her cat -- and one's level of tolerance.

Sometimes you can find something on Craigslist by typing "concrete" or "soundproof" in the search box.

Well quiet and silent are two very different things. But if you want silent, don't live anywhere near people, or water, or nature.

Old 12-28-2017, 09:17 AM

649 posts, read 815,839 times
I am surprised at this, maybe the brickness is keeping the sound in or maybe the building was built with just cheap drywall? We have lived in 5 different apartments in OLD two family homes in various Boston locales and have never had sound issues. Even when we lived on the first floor. Maybe aim for older buildings as someone said, with lath and plaster. Stick to the top floor of something old that was purpose built to be multifamily.

Old 12-29-2017, 08:26 PM

74 posts, read 113,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalamanderSmile View Post
I am surprised at this, maybe the brickness is keeping the sound in or maybe the building was built with just cheap drywall? We have lived in 5 different apartments in OLD two family homes in various Boston locales and have never had sound issues. Even when we lived on the first floor. Maybe aim for older buildings as someone said, with lath and plaster. Stick to the top floor of something old that was purpose built to be multifamily.
I haven’t had many problems before this, either... both buildings I’ve lived in in Quincy have been noisy in the sense that there is NO sound insulation between the floors: I can hear everything, even talking through the hardwood floors. It seems like the builders didn’t put any cushion between my floors and the neighbors’ ceilings. I ALWAYS go for top floor apartments, but in my current one, sounds echo badly and the lack of insulation causes me to be able to hear EVERYTHING below me... My current building IS brick, and it was made for multiple people, as far as I can tell, but sounds are exaggerated for some reason. It makes for an awkward situation. I started this post because I was wondering if you all think that a concrete high-rise style building might be quieter.... I always seek out top floor, corner units with working professionals living in the building, but you just never know.....

Old 12-30-2017, 08:10 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,908,519 times
It's been mentioned , but it's a must to have a top floor place, and preferably in a building that's not loaded with college students and 20-somethings (based upon my experience). If possible, check out places in the evening, take note of the surrounding area ( and potential trouble spots), and use some discretion. If you see lots of cars in the driveway, I would suspect a fair bit of noise...

Old 12-30-2017, 11:58 AM

2,941 posts, read 5,182,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
It's been mentioned , but it's a must to have a top floor place, and preferably in a building that's not loaded with college students and 20-somethings (based upon my experience). If possible, check out places in the evening, take note of the surrounding area ( and potential trouble spots), and use some discretion. If you see lots of cars in the driveway, I would suspect a fair bit of noise...
And as mentioned, make sure most if not all people work, preferably full-time, outside the residence, and not weird shifts which could contribute to off hours noise. My neighbor is on disability and is up 18 hours a day and very active and noisy -- not pleasant versus having a neighbor who works full time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston