U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 07:15 PM

27 posts, read 13,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Yeah, its a great city, more affordable... yeah.
Yes, it is also very familiar and easy, but I spend most of my time at work as I love what I do and I am good at it. Unfortunately, my company already has a very famous dealer here and there will be no showroom till 2021. Besides, grass is always greener somewhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2018, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
So if you want the Rogers park look and feel, I'd vote that you explore Brighton. It's going to be a bit safer than RP, and Brighton is generally cheaper than the Boston proper. It has all of the offerings a Rogers Park does (and probably a bit more). If want to stay in the city limits, that's a good option.

If you do want to leave the city entirely, with the commute to Back Bay in mind, i'd stay close to the orange line. Melrose is certainly a good option, and you can find a nice 1 Bdr within walking distance to the downtown train stops. Nice community, with some neighborhoods offering beautiful homes and tree lines streets, with other areas offering apartment complexes and stores abound. The downtown is nice, and offers some functional use.

If you aren't in love with the train, then I'd add Arlington to the mix. Great little city with close access to Boston/Cambridge.
Thank you for your reply. I am going to check Orange line and Melrose. I think we decided to find something next to ocean or one of the bays. I am looking at Hingham, Weymouth. I want to keep the car because I am not sure if the business will keep me in the city or all over the places.

Old 01-04-2018, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
I will likely agree here--you might be better off staying in Chicago, if that's still possible. There are some great things about Boston, and it's fine to live here for a limited time ( esp for the ocean,spending weekends in NYC or VT/NH/ME), but financially you're better off in Chicagoland...
Thank you for the reply. One of the reasons I am moving is a an opportunity to make more than I will ever make in Chicago. Success in Boston certainly can open for me other opportunities in California or New York or even back in Chicago by 2021 (I doubt it)

Old 01-04-2018, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
But, OP indicated he and his wife are tired of urban life and would really like to try living by the seaside. I don't know enough about the shoreside towns to give much insight about commuting times, etc. From the little I know, I would think Hingham would be worth trying for a year, which is what OP seems to indicate he'd like to do -- if it turns out that the commute is just too far, or it doesn't work out for some reason, or they decide they don't really like living by the ocean, then they could move to a place like Brighton or Melrose or Quincy.

No one has to sell me on Chicago, but if someone wants something different after having lived there for quite some time, I don't think it's all that helpful to just tell them to stay there. (Especially when there aren't kids in the picture to have to worry about schools and uprooting them, etc.)
Yep, beauty of this is that I am well set for the next year no matter what even if I have to carry my mortgage for couple of months. Should be enough of time to figure my job future and where to live. I have set up showings in Cohasset, Weymouth and Hull for Wednesday. I figured I start way south so by the time I have to leave for airport I am somewhere in North Quincy or city. Overall everything I found in these towns have parking for 1 or 2 cars, laundry in unit or building and not as small and dingy as similar cost in the city. Yes, I am probably done with urban life. See, before I joined my company I worked in Old Town Chicago for 16 years. Last 3 years I spent driving to Oak Brook from Rogers Park and I kind of liked it. I got to know all those nice towns like Hinsdale and Burr Ridge and have met ton of people. I wasn't ready to move to suburbs just because of how inexpensive my condo living was compare to horrendous taxes in suburbs.

Old 01-04-2018, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
First off, of the three cities you mentioned, they are all quite different, and Melrose is the most attractive, by a comfortable margin..

Boston, while much smaller than Chicago, is quite urbanized, and the inner-ring "suburbs" resemble cities, and are not suburban at all ( I'm looking at you, Somerville). You'll have to go a little ways out of the city to enjoy some sort of seaside life, and then you'll be looking at a hefty commute into Boston. And the price tag attached to any desirable neighborhood will astound you..

Why not try Evanston, alongside Lake Michigan? The area around Northwestern is gorgeous, especially in summer?
Thank you for your reply. That is why I am looking for something within 10 minutes walking to shore. I am willing to spend an hour traveling if I get a place like that. My guess, that I will take the train 3 days a week and probably will have to drive other 3 days to see clients. Yes, I intent to work 6 days a week to learn the showroom traffic. Mondays overrated anyways. Quincy looks as old as Evanston, but doesn't have same fancy areas and more like Skokie in terms of people who live there. Which is fine with me as long as it is safe.

Old 01-04-2018, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
USSR "transplant" here too. But came here when I was young. I've grew up in NYC, have lived in Brookline now for 8 yrs. It's no NYC but there are plenty of Russians here in Brookline with some Russian food and bookstores. Again, it's no Brooklyn but I'm not complaining.

Anyhow, welcome to Boston. And take what people say about staying in Chicago with a grain of salt. Yeah, it's more expensive here but there are good opportunities and the market is pumping pretty hard. My wife and I did very well over the time we've been here. So more expensive but also more opportunity.

I'd suggest putting Newton on your list of possibilities. And keep your car if you won't be in the city, which it doesn't sound like you will.

Na Zdarovya and Best of luck.
Спасибо большое. I've already marked the Babushka on Google maps. TBH, we more frequent Whole Foods and Fresh Market than Russian grocery stores. My mother always told me to never save on food. You know, she was that generation of children of war. My company is strategically wants me to go to Boston instead of San Diego or Fort Lauderdale due to current circumstances of the local market and opportunities they will create in upcoming years. Basically, timing is perfect or so we hope. Maybe, after the year I will move to the city, right now I am trying to be cautious.

Old 01-04-2018, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
Evanston is more expensive than where he is, and is quite an urban suburb. If he doesn't want urban, I don't see why you'd suggest one. (I love Evanston and I love the lake, but it's not the same as living oceanside. It's just not.) Also, it is clear that you don't know Chicago's suburbs, because most of them, especially the inner ones are very urban.

My suggestion was not that OP move to Melrose or any of the other towns. I suggested a seaside town, since that was what he said he wanted. If it turns out it is not what he wants, then he can always move to a more urban town. Whether Melrose specifically would make him happy, or whether Brighton or Quincy would be more to his liking, I have no idea. The point was that if the fantasy of living oceanside turns out to be other than what he envisions, he still has the option of moving to a more urban, closer in town after a year.
You are correct Chicagoliz.
Logically, if I have to move to Boston then I rather smell ocean even if it means more cold and snow and longer commute. There is a condo for rent right on the tip of Hull, less than a mile to Pemberton Ferry and we are going to see it Wednesday. I have to entice my wife to avoid potential dog house and ocean side certainly appeals to her right now. She is willing to live with carpet for a good location!!! We will see. We are landing noon and renting a car and planning to drive around Cohasset, Hull, Weymouth till late evening, grab a dinner somewhere there and then drive to hotel near Taft. Do same Thursday and Friday.
In the end I think North Quincy or Weymouth is the right choice for us and we will have only 12 month to see if we made a mistake or not.

You are right, In Chicago we think suburbs and we mean South West suburbs like Wheaton, Oak Brook anything west of O'Hare or north like Arlington Heights, Niles, Glencoe. Anything up to Mannheim Rd, Rosemont, Evanston, Skokie feels like extension of the city. This is why I think the map of Boston is so deceiving due to our perception of the block sizes. Maybe I am wrong.

Old 01-04-2018, 09:29 PM

2,770 posts, read 1,572,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schtuka View Post
You are correct Chicagoliz.
Logically, if I have to move to Boston then I rather smell ocean even if it means more cold and snow and longer commute. There is a condo for rent right on the tip of Hull, less than a mile to Pemberton Ferry and we are going to see it Wednesday. I have to entice my wife to avoid potential dog house and ocean side certainly appeals to her right now. She is willing to live with carpet for a good location!!! We will see. We are landing noon and renting a car and planning to drive around Cohasset, Hull, Weymouth till late evening, grab a dinner somewhere there and then drive to hotel near Taft. Do same Thursday and Friday.
In the end I think North Quincy or Weymouth is the right choice for us and we will have only 12 month to see if we made a mistake or not.

You are right, In Chicago we think suburbs and we mean South West suburbs like Wheaton, Oak Brook anything west of O'Hare or north like Arlington Heights, Niles, Glencoe. Anything up to Mannheim Rd, Rosemont, Evanston, Skokie feels like extension of the city. This is why I think the map of Boston is so deceiving due to our perception of the block sizes. Maybe I am wrong.
This is a key difference between Boston and Chicago. It is extremely easy to figure out how to get around in Chicago because it is a grid city. There is no grid whatsoever in Boston -- the streets are like plates of spaghetti. The numbering is NOT consistent, so don't think that 800 on one block will be 800 on the next.

Also, the city of Chicago is much larger than the city of Boston, so parts of the Boston area that are different towns would still be in the the city of Chicago if you are looking at comparable distances from the city centers. Yes, so many of the suburbs really are like extensions of the city. I've lived in both Skokie and Forest Park, and both are quite urban. I also lived in Palatine, and while it and Arlington Heights do have a different feel, even they have a bit more of a city feel than a lot of the suburbs in Boston. I also worked in Mt. Prospect, Wheaton and Darien. I'd say Darien was the most suburban of the bunch. As the county seat of DuPage County, Wheaton has a lot going on, even though in some ways, it can be prototypically suburban. I do have to say, that the suburbs of Boston are nicer and prettier than the suburbs of Chicago. It's actually quite difficult to come up with too many suburbs in each metro area that are truly comparable to each other.

Good luck with your move. I hope that living by the ocean suits you and that the extra commute is worth it. And since you're renting, you'll have a better sense of what you want if you decide after that first year that you want to move closer to work.

Old 01-05-2018, 09:06 AM

1,605 posts, read 737,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schtuka View Post
Thank you for your reply. I am going to check Orange line and Melrose. I think we decided to find something next to ocean or one of the bays. I am looking at Hingham, Weymouth. I want to keep the car because I am not sure if the business will keep me in the city or all over the places.
Quincy is a bit of a mixed bag, but Quincy's waterfront is expansive and nice. A lot of building and gentrification in that area. If it were me, I'd go a more urban waterfront environment like Quincy, or a pretty and scenic waterfront town like Hingham. I'm not a big Weymouth fan- Apologies in advance to the folks from Weymouth

To the north, Marblehead is about as scenic and charming as it gets. You'd be reliant on the Swampscott train, though, so that may mean a drive. Explore Marblehead/Swampscott and Quincy/Hingham. Those are the only logical seaside towns to recommend to keep your commute time down.

Old 01-05-2018, 09:27 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,818,256 times
The only problem with Marblehead is the old you can get there from here mantra. It's a good 20-30 minutes from 128. It's lovely but a pain to get to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or