U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2018, 06:26 AM

8,124 posts, read 7,132,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schtuka View Post
Thank you for reply.There is certainly a difference between Northshore and West Suburbs as far as people and way of life. I worked in Oak Brook for 3.5 years and before that for 16 years in Chicago Old Town. There is a difference between clients from Hinsdale/Burr Ridge and from Winnetka/Glencoe for sure. More satisfied customers from West suburbs than from North. Is there such a difference in Boston suburbs?
Western suburbs are incredibly wealthy and "elite." Many people on this board are in the western suburbs, so take it with a grain of salt.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2018, 12:41 PM

1,864 posts, read 901,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Western suburbs are incredibly wealthy and "elite." Many people on this board are in the western suburbs, so take it with a grain of salt.
The MetroWest area of Boston is the highest concentration of wealth. There's certainly some elitism going on.

That said, I've never seen it out here quite like it is in the North Shore out there. It's a very competitive, materialistic, elitist mentality in that area of Illinois. I think it's toned down here; think less Bentley's and fur jackets, and more Prius' and coffee shops.

Old 01-08-2018, 01:29 PM

29 posts, read 14,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
The MetroWest area of Boston is the highest concentration of wealth. There's certainly some elitism going on.

That said, I've never seen it out here quite like it is in the North Shore out there. It's a very competitive, materialistic, elitist mentality in that area of Illinois. I think it's toned down here; think less Bentley's and fur jackets, and more Prius' and coffee shops.
Through my work I have met many very nice people in Hinsdale and Burr Ridge. Very wealthy, but also just nice compare to Northshore. Not that I didn't work with very wealthy and nice people in North suburbs, but midrange wealthy people definitely nicer in West suburbs. Northshore clients became former clients and West suburb clients became almost friends. Maybe it is because I represent elitist, expensive product, but then again it is also practical, efficient and appeals to smart, well educated people. I am hoping that Boston is more smart, progressive, modern because that is where I had success. Catering to midrange crowd.

Old 01-08-2018, 01:42 PM

1,864 posts, read 901,534 times
Quote:
Through my work I have met many very nice people in Hinsdale and Burr Ridge. Very wealthy, but also just nice compare to Northshore. Not that I didn't work with very wealthy and nice people in North suburbs, but midrange wealthy people definitely nicer in West suburbs. Northshore clients became former clients and West suburb clients became almost friends. Maybe it is because I represent elitist, expensive product, but then again it is also practical, efficient and appeals to smart, well educated people. I am hoping that Boston is more smart, progressive, modern because that is where I had success. Catering to midrange crowd.
Well said.

Should be a good fit- I think intellectual and progressive are two words I'd use with the white collar crowd in Greater Boston. Said crowd can certainly be cold here, as with any area I suppose, but I do think peoples prized possessions tend to heir more on the side of advanced degrees and less on the side of material goods.

Old 01-08-2018, 02:44 PM

3,858 posts, read 2,021,004 times
Quote:
So what do you sell? Tesla?

Old 01-08-2018, 03:45 PM

5,225 posts, read 5,046,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I'm in Brookline, Coolidge Corner. Sadly, I don't fit the mold of wealthy. And I'm definitely not elite.

**This response was entered by Jeeves the Butler on behalf of G-Fused**

Old 01-08-2018, 04:41 PM

29 posts, read 14,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
So what do you sell? Tesla?
Lol, no. I design and sell expensive German kitchens.

Old 01-08-2018, 06:58 PM

50 posts, read 46,552 times
I live in Hull. Moved here a bit over 15 years ago, and I love it. I haven't read the whole thread, but happy to answer specific questions if you are still considering the area.

Old 01-09-2018, 06:59 AM

2,926 posts, read 1,705,322 times
Quote:
Thank you for reply.There is certainly a difference between Northshore and West Suburbs as far as people and way of life. I worked in Oak Brook for 3.5 years and before that for 16 years in Chicago Old Town. There is a difference between clients from Hinsdale/Burr Ridge and from Winnetka/Glencoe for sure. More satisfied customers from West suburbs than from North. Is there such a difference in Boston suburbs?
I don't see the same sort of difference -- it is interesting. People who live north of the city only ever live north -- they will move further north, but not to the south or west suburbs. Same with the west suburbs, and somewhat true of the south suburbs. To someone in Northbrook, the towns of Burr Ridge, Orland Park and Flossmoor are like towns in a totally different metro area. There is little movement or familiarity with the different suburbs -- I haven't seen anything quite like it in other cities.

Old 01-09-2018, 08:23 AM

3,858 posts, read 2,021,004 times
Quote:
Lol, no. I design and sell expensive German kitchens.

The P company?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or