U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2018, 10:54 PM

94 posts, read 47,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schtuka View Post
Well folks, we did it. Moved to Quincy South East. Found a decent 2 bedroom for $1700 with laundry in unit. Overall, we made right decision with area in comparison to other options so far. Got to know our first Nor'Easter. Having hard time finding good grocery stores like in Chicago, so mostly shopping in Whole Foods. Planning to check out Roche Bros, Kam Man Foods and Hannaford. Everything costs about 20-30% on average more than in Chicago aside of real estate. I am surprised by lack of infrastructure and state of repairs in Quincy. Police Station is falling apart. The amount of traffic is definitely due to poor or old design of the highways. Ethnic cuisine is not as good as in Chicago for sure and I also miss Portillo's. I find people here and in Boston are more polite than in Chicago. Some oddities here and there. We got shell-shocked by price of the heating oil, luckily our landlord is changing to gas this warm season. Got my Massachusetts driver license and registration. I doubt I will ever get a speeding ticket here, just too much of the traffic any time any day. Can't wait for warm Spring and worrying about how many a/c window units I will have to buy for hot summer.
Glad you made it! Iíve been reading your posts from January. Glad you found an apartment you like and that it fits your needs. The Boston area is truly one of the greatest areas in the country, in my opinion. Of course it isnít perfect but no place is. I lived there for 4 years and Iím in Florida now (which I donít really like). We are working on making a move back there soon and Iím very excited about it. You will love the summers there. There are so many wonderful places to visit in the summer time including all of the beautiful north shore beach towns, Cape Cod and I would highly recommend visiting Maine, itís such a gorgeous place especially in the summertime.

I was amused reading your comment about people being more polite here than in Chicago. New Englanders in general are a very respectful and polite group. They often get criticized for being somewhat unfriendly, however that just isnít true. New Englanders are mostly quite down to earth and respectful of boundaries and personal space. It isnít that they are unfriendly itís just people up there respect peopleís privacy, that is the difference.

Please continue to post with updates, I wish you the best of luck!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2018, 10:54 PM

2,092 posts, read 1,201,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schtuka View Post
Report.
A lot of it reminded us Rogers Park and some of it is just old and not pretty. Gritty. Layers of old, smells sticky old. Small and a bit claustrophobic in sizes, pathways, streets, rooms, stairs, hallways, ceilings.....
Most of the Boston area inside of 128 is old and claustrophobic feeling. Some people like it, some people hate it. It does make things more walk-able and gives it character.

And with traffic, the Southeast Expressway is the worst highway in the state no question. I have no idea why it clogs up so badly. Because the Expressway is so bad the local roads in Quincy can get congested too.

Old Today, 03:17 PM

29 posts, read 14,745 times
Thank you. After almost a year renting we concluded that rent is not for us. The oil heating is just a nerve racking affair. My landlord despite the fact it was in our rental agreement to switch to gas never did it. I had him lock the contractor for specific dates and even bought a mini vacation down in Florida, but few days before us departing landlord comes with the excuse of plumbers being too busy after fall gas explosions. Last straw was coming back after Florida to find mouse droppings all over the kitchen.
So, at the end of December we started looking to buy a property. We were looking for anything under $350K being just two of us. Condo, townhouse, small house anywhere within an hour of driving to work.
We end up overpaying a bit for the 2 bed 2 bath condo in Weymouth. It was an eye opening process. I could never imagine how hard is to find a place where you cannot touch the ceiling, it is not 200 years old and has central air-conditioner and heating. We still have to replace new carpeting in bedrooms with hardwood floors.
Almost year later I have to say that overall we made a right decision to move here. Yes, it is expensive about 15-20% more in living costs compare to Chicago, but the bleak future of the Windy City is not getting any better with election of new governor.
We still miss Chicago, but not the weather. We got used to having Whole Foods being primary source of groceries with occasional trip to Wegmans and frequent stops at Stop and Shop.

Can't get used to see hanging wires all over the roads and streets and garbage cans on the street. No hand car wash facilities (not self wash), no decent Mexican food joint so far.
On plus side, I got to troll all Cubs fans and Tom Brady/NE Patriots haters back in Chicago while enjoying Bears run this season.
The worst experience was with the dentists in Weymouth. Very pushy, more about money than well being of the client. At least that was our experience. We had to tell them to send x-rays to our previous dentist in Chicago for the second opinion. Sure enough, after that wife end up only with one filling instead of three and the cleaning was just not up to standards we were used to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler1026 View Post
Glad you made it! I’ve been reading your posts from January. Glad you found an apartment you like and that it fits your needs. The Boston area is truly one of the greatest areas in the country, in my opinion. Of course it isn’t perfect but no place is. I lived there for 4 years and I’m in Florida now (which I don’t really like). We are working on making a move back there soon and I’m very excited about it. You will love the summers there. There are so many wonderful places to visit in the summer time including all of the beautiful north shore beach towns, Cape Cod and I would highly recommend visiting Maine, it’s such a gorgeous place especially in the summertime.

I was amused reading your comment about people being more polite here than in Chicago. New Englanders in general are a very respectful and polite group. They often get criticized for being somewhat unfriendly, however that just isn’t true. New Englanders are mostly quite down to earth and respectful of boundaries and personal space. It isn’t that they are unfriendly it’s just people up there respect people’s privacy, that is the difference.

Please continue to post with updates, I wish you the best of luck!

Old Today, 03:21 PM

29 posts, read 14,745 times
Well, we looked at properties in Andover and traffic seems to be less congested, but ultimately remained on Southshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
Most of the Boston area inside of 128 is old and claustrophobic feeling. Some people like it, some people hate it. It does make things more walk-able and gives it character.

And with traffic, the Southeast Expressway is the worst highway in the state no question. I have no idea why it clogs up so badly. Because the Expressway is so bad the local roads in Quincy can get congested too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or