Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 07:19 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,452,032 times

Advertisements

Honestly, stay in Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2018, 07:21 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post

Yeah, its a great city, more affordable... yeah.

Old 01-02-2018, 07:57 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,918,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schtuka View Post
Hello,
I have lived in the city of Chicago for past 26 years. This year, the company I work for offered me a position at their Boston location near Boston Common Park. I have been reading up on the life in Boston and this forum has been very helpful. Needless to say I have been very worried about what kind of rent I can afford for the next year, should I keep my car and where should I look for rent. City or suburbs. After searching for what I can afford I naturally found myself looking at Quincy. Right now I am thinking to see if I can find a place near Hingham or in Hull to take advantage of ferries and actually live near ocean. Am I crazy as far as ferry commute? I am in sales, so my schedule is flexible and place of work opens at 10 am. I am pretty much fed up with urban living and before the offer was considering moving to Chicago suburbs. I will be in Boston within 2 weeks for couple of days and planning to rent a car and drive from downtown to Quincy and all the way to Hull peninsula end. Past 18 years I owned a condo in Rogers Park which is a very mixed area, but I had a garage and overall it is safe and I have not used public transportation in more than 20 years. It is only me and my wife. She doesn't have a job.
Any help is appreciated to put my anxieties to rest. Thank you.
So if you want the Rogers park look and feel, I'd vote that you explore Brighton. It's going to be a bit safer than RP, and Brighton is generally cheaper than the Boston proper. It has all of the offerings a Rogers Park does (and probably a bit more). If want to stay in the city limits, that's a good option.

If you do want to leave the city entirely, with the commute to Back Bay in mind, i'd stay close to the orange line. Melrose is certainly a good option, and you can find a nice 1 Bdr within walking distance to the downtown train stops. Nice community, with some neighborhoods offering beautiful homes and tree lines streets, with other areas offering apartment complexes and stores abound. The downtown is nice, and offers some functional use.

If you aren't in love with the train, then I'd add Arlington to the mix. Great little city with close access to Boston/Cambridge.

Old 01-03-2018, 07:20 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Yeah, its a great city, more affordable... yeah.
I will likely agree here--you might be better off staying in Chicago, if that's still possible. There are some great things about Boston, and it's fine to live here for a limited time ( esp for the ocean,spending weekends in NYC or VT/NH/ME), but financially you're better off in Chicagoland...

Old 01-04-2018, 07:58 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,723,943 times
But, OP indicated he and his wife are tired of urban life and would really like to try living by the seaside. I don't know enough about the shoreside towns to give much insight about commuting times, etc. From the little I know, I would think Hingham would be worth trying for a year, which is what OP seems to indicate he'd like to do -- if it turns out that the commute is just too far, or it doesn't work out for some reason, or they decide they don't really like living by the ocean, then they could move to a place like Brighton or Melrose or Quincy.

No one has to sell me on Chicago, but if someone wants something different after having lived there for quite some time, I don't think it's all that helpful to just tell them to stay there. (Especially when there aren't kids in the picture to have to worry about schools and uprooting them, etc.)

Old 01-04-2018, 08:22 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
But, OP indicated he and his wife are tired of urban life and would really like to try living by the seaside. I don't know enough about the shoreside towns to give much insight about commuting times, etc. From the little I know, I would think Hingham would be worth trying for a year, which is what OP seems to indicate he'd like to do -- if it turns out that the commute is just too far, or it doesn't work out for some reason, or they decide they don't really like living by the ocean, then they could move to a place like Brighton or Melrose or Quincy.

No one has to sell me on Chicago, but if someone wants something different after having lived there for quite some time, I don't think it's all that helpful to just tell them to stay there. (Especially when there aren't kids in the picture to have to worry about schools and uprooting them, etc.)
First off, of the three cities you mentioned, they are all quite different, and Melrose is the most attractive, by a comfortable margin..

Boston, while much smaller than Chicago, is quite urbanized, and the inner-ring "suburbs" resemble cities, and are not suburban at all ( I'm looking at you, Somerville). You'll have to go a little ways out of the city to enjoy some sort of seaside life, and then you'll be looking at a hefty commute into Boston. And the price tag attached to any desirable neighborhood will astound you..

Why not try Evanston, alongside Lake Michigan? The area around Northwestern is gorgeous, especially in summer?

Old 01-04-2018, 09:41 AM

6,459 posts, read 7,796,492 times
USSR "transplant" here too. But came here when I was young. I've grew up in NYC, have lived in Brookline now for 8 yrs. It's no NYC but there are plenty of Russians here in Brookline with some Russian food and bookstores. Again, it's no Brooklyn but I'm not complaining.

Anyhow, welcome to Boston. And take what people say about staying in Chicago with a grain of salt. Yeah, it's more expensive here but there are good opportunities and the market is pumping pretty hard. My wife and I did very well over the time we've been here. So more expensive but also more opportunity.

I'd suggest putting Newton on your list of possibilities. And keep your car if you won't be in the city, which it doesn't sound like you will.

Na Zdarovya and Best of luck.

Old 01-04-2018, 10:05 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,723,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
First off, of the three cities you mentioned, they are all quite different, and Melrose is the most attractive, by a comfortable margin..

Boston, while much smaller than Chicago, is quite urbanized, and the inner-ring "suburbs" resemble cities, and are not suburban at all ( I'm looking at you, Somerville). You'll have to go a little ways out of the city to enjoy some sort of seaside life, and then you'll be looking at a hefty commute into Boston. And the price tag attached to any desirable neighborhood will astound you..

Why not try Evanston, alongside Lake Michigan? The area around Northwestern is gorgeous, especially in summer?
Evanston is more expensive than where he is, and is quite an urban suburb. If he doesn't want urban, I don't see why you'd suggest one. (I love Evanston and I love the lake, but it's not the same as living oceanside. It's just not.) Also, it is clear that you don't know Chicago's suburbs, because most of them, especially the inner ones are very urban.

My suggestion was not that OP move to Melrose or any of the other towns. I suggested a seaside town, since that was what he said he wanted. If it turns out it is not what he wants, then he can always move to a more urban town. Whether Melrose specifically would make him happy, or whether Brighton or Quincy would be more to his liking, I have no idea. The point was that if the fantasy of living oceanside turns out to be other than what he envisions, he still has the option of moving to a more urban, closer in town after a year.

Old 01-04-2018, 07:06 PM

32 posts, read 39,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
As far as the Wollaston Red line being closed, yes, I think it starts this week for a year or two. Not sure, but I should be better informed. I don't get off there often, as I use North Quincy, one stop closer to Boston. I think the trains will still travel thru Wollaston, or maybe riders after that point will need to change for buses if riding away from Boston and Quincy.

"Townie" is generally not a flattering word. It describes locals who've lived in the same neighborhood or nearby all of their lives, usually not so accepting of outsiders, newcomers, gays, different cultures or classes. Usually of lower education and not well travelled. There are many exceptions, as my friend lives in the same house he grew up in, 20 miles north of Boston but is a retired teacher, well travelled, cultured, lots of volunteer work, etc. There's an equivalent in the Chicago area and all others. Not sure if it's a different word.

Quincy still has that townie feel in some ways despite many Chinese or folks from India living here, but since I moved here 13 years ago, there are more and more luxury apartments and condos with young professionals. My area is very Chinese as are parts of Wollaston. Used to be very Irish here, predominantly, if I'm not mistaken. You've travelled a lot and have good income so may find it too low class in parts of Quincy but I like it. Reasonable housing prices for being so close to Boston.

We have a poster here who lives on Wollaston Hill who's Ivy league educated and chooses to buy here rather than her nearby affluent town.
Thank you again for your input and explanation of the word. I kind of had a good guess from the book Prince of thieves, but just hard to believe for such attitude still existing in urban areas. Not sure if there is such thing in Chicago. We kind of like North Quincy so far. I have called plenty of the realtors for appointments. I made as far as Cohasset and Hull and as close as Quincy Shore Dr. Despite the fact i work with high end clients I prefer middle class, diverse neighbourhoods. I think Quincy is more of mix between Skokie and Evanston and it is fine with me. I have to make a decision for at least 12 months and Quincy seems as a safe choice.

Old 01-04-2018, 07:10 PM

32 posts, read 39,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Thanks for the advise. I thought hard about it as it would easy for me to sustain current income, but I have invested 3 years successfully building my reputation with company and it allows me a carrier growth with potential. I also think we are ready to take a risk. Life is short, got no kids, no dogs, no family here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston